By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft's End of an Era

HLSL2GLSL does not look like it is part of the driver. It looks like it is a command line tool for converting someone's HLSL to the equivalent GLSL(in an attempt to promote pc game ports). So a developer of a game for Mac(using OpenGL) they do not have to rewrite their HLSL shaders. It looks like a convenience for developers. I could not find anything regarding the use of this conversion inside the graphics drivers. That wouldn't make much sense anyway, the compiled HLSL or GLSL should be compiled down to hardware specific tokens.

Around the Network

they want to invest their resources into their console Sorry if ur a PC gamer who feels cheated by ensemble and the flight sim devs being closed.

As a 360 gamer, It doesnt effect me in the least. I never cared for their PC games.

However, thats not to say MS has given up on the PC market. They are pushing Games for Windows, PC LIVE, and releasing old 360 games onto PC like Gears, Viva pinata, and soon Fable 2.

MS is making money on the 360 in games,online and movies,so they decide to support the 360 and not the Pc...plus the Pc is very easy to pirate games for,so the choice was obvious.

That's sad, but they will have their reasons for those steps. Piracy for example.

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value..."

Alan Greenspan, 1967

Time to move to Linux then. That´s more on the line with PC gamers than anything else.

Around the Network
Stan85 said:
MS is making money on the 360 in games,online and movies,so they decide to support the 360 and not the Pc...plus the Pc is very easy to pirate games for,so the choice was obvious.

Age of Empires III was huge on the PC, but it only sold two million copies.  There were probably a lot more copies of that game pirated than sold.

On the console, because pirating is so difficult, a good game will easily sale two million copies.  A huge game like Halo or Call of Duty will sale several million copies.

Pirates killed PC gaming, or atleast games that dont require a subscription.

Microsoft trying to integrate Xbox Live to PC's was such a stupid idea.

Though I do want to shed a tear at hearing about a lot of old games I used to play in the article. Age of Empires 2, Theme Hospital and Theme Park (Bullfrog), Zoo Tycoon, Flight Simulator 98, ect.

Sry but almost all of the studios mentioned in the article made crappy or simply unpopular games.

The only bad decision was Ensemble Studios.

Good God all-mighty.

Flight Simulator has been a staple of one of the most hardcore niches in gaming history since before I was born. The idea that it may now be dead is terrifying to me. It's almost like hearing there will never be another Mario game.

Khuutra said:
Good God all-mighty.

Flight Simulator has been a staple of one of the most hardcore niches in gaming history since before I was born. The idea that it may now be dead is terrifying to me. It's almost like hearing there will never be another Mario game.

Seriously, Flight Simulator 98 (with a joystick) was THE first game I ever had on a Windows OS computer.