By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who are the five biggest publishers?

I'm not sure who they are and it has been nagging me for quite a bit.  My guess is..

EA
Activision/Blizzard
Ubisoft
Sony Computer Entertainment
Capcom

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Also thanks in advance.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

what's exactly you definition of a big publisher ? Number of games ? Number of AAA games ? Number of games sold or published ? Number of employees ? Revenue ? Profits ? Do we consider hardware builders too ? And multimedia groups ?

SmokedHostage said:

I'm not sure who they are and it has been nagging me for quite a bit.  My guess is..

EA
Activision/Blizzard
Ubisoft
Sony Computer Entertainment
Capcom

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Also thanks in advance.

Nintendo should be at least in the top 3.

So you has to remove one, which would be Capcom I believe.

How can you have Sony but miss Nintendo? Are you talking about profitability or who produces the most? By profitability it'd be something like:

Nintendo
EA
Activision
Ubisoft
Sony (or maybe Capcom/THQ/MS/Sega)

yog-sothot said:
what's exactly you definition of a big publisher ? Number of games ? Number of AAA games ? Revenue ? Profits ? Do we consider hardware builders too ? And multimedia groups ?

Revenue of course.

Around the Network

I was talking about employees within the company.

Pixel Art can be fun.

I think he means in terms of sales, in which case there are a bunch of companies you're forgetting. Take 2 would definitely take Capcom's place if nothing else.

Gamerace said:
How can you have Sony but miss Nintendo? Are you talking about profitability or who produces the most? By profitability it'd be something like:

Nintendo
EA
Activision
Ubisoft
Sony (or maybe Capcom/THQ/MS/Sega)

EA is unprofitable right now (...), so they'd be below Ubisoft but above Sony.

And in terms of size, I think Activision is first, but I'm not sure who's after that, especially in light of all these layoffs.

SmokedHostage said:
I was talking about employees within the company.

I think your list is fairly close to accurate, but I would think Nintendo (including all their studios like Retro) would be bigger than Capcom. But I really don't know.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Nintendo definitely up there in terms of sales, actually they would easily take number 1. In terms of people SE have 3.2k employees according to wikipedia, do not find that hard to believe seeing how many games they release per year.