By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 generates largest sales for UbiSoft! 3rd Parties Abandoning Ps3 my FOOT

@ CGI-Quality:
It was a figure of speech, to ilustrate the diference between PS2/PS3 sucess.

Around the Network

Where is this thread going? The issue here is one of 3rd party support, and the future of multi-platforms. It is without question, that developers/publishers will seek to push everything to multi-plat, since the ROI is normally high, with the key being quid pro quo from console makers to publisher for some level of exclusivity. One of the KEY feature of ps2's dominance was its exclusive content, timed or otherwise, whereas ps3 almost has had zero of these, heading into year 3. Financially speaking, it seems to make sense for developers/publisher to multi-plat, but if they currently have limited capacity to do so, then the cost of building the organic capability might not make sense, given a current examples like bioshock. This is probably why Valve is mute on supporting the ps3 (before anybody post links to Valve’s re-eval, I already know about it, but talk is cheap, action isn’t), and sure, they can contract it out to another developer to port the game, but then are you getting the real deal is the question. In short, my point is that the 360, heading into its 4th year, and the 3rd year of direct competition, is still the lead console for third party software, and THAT is a powerful and defining change from last generation. M$ is probably going to push really hard in the next console iterations, which is why I expect us to start seeing some hints on the next gen console in late 2009/early 2010.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder