By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Namco Bandai and Microsoft

"Unless someone decides to divulge information on an actual 'deal' between MS and Namco, it's very dumb to say "oh, MS must obviously be moneyhatting them"."
I would not call it dumb, I would say common sense or educated guess.

Around the Network

^^^

Exactly.

Why else would a company make a JRPG for a console that has the worst sales in Japan?

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

misteromar said:
"Unless someone decides to divulge information on an actual 'deal' between MS and Namco, it's very dumb to say "oh, MS must obviously be moneyhatting them"."

I would not call it dumb, I would say common sense or educated guess.

This is right on the money. Er, that is if you happen to know anything about MS's business practices.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

misteromar said:
ckmlb said:
misteromar said:
I think most Japanese developers are in love with Nintendo at the moment.

Say what now? Look at the support for the 360 and PS3 from Japanese devs and the support for the Wii. It's not even close. One gets the 2nd tier titles the others get the big franchises.

They are in love with money not Nintendo, I think specifically because it's Nintendo it's taking longer for 3rd parties to embrace their console who is outselling the other two because of Nintendo's history.

Well M$ are just paying for Japanese games. Its a fact Japanese have no love for America (or the rest of the world for that matter) No matter what they do, they will never be number one in Japan.

True alot of games that have been in development for along time are still coming to the PS3(also being ported where possible to get some money back). But after they finish them, they wont be rushing back to it, because of the small user base and the complicated hardware and high dev costs.

That leaves Nintendo, a Japanese company, all the Japanese third partys are gonig to be throwing much more resources and top franchise the wii's way because of the large user base and cheaper dev cost. Also because they are Japanese and they love to support there own, over foriegners.

The reason the support is not what it is gonna be is because the wii's success caught everybody of gaurd as did the ps3 being a big phail. Things will change. It takes years to make games, so the dev started all these games for ps3 before they knew the lie of the land. Now its plain as day that ps3 is commerical disaster and the wii a massive hit. Its a no brainer where all the games are gonna be at.

People have been saying this for 6 months, yet I still have not seen many Wii game announcements.  In fact, I have seen significantly more 360/PS3 Japanese developer and American developer announcements in recent months.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I don't really think that Namco are totally favoring Microsoft. They do have Time Crisis 4 and Tekken 6 exclusive on the PS3, so if anything they are spreading their love around. I personally see no problem with that and there are rumors that Ace Combat 6 is a timed exclusive. I expect a PS3 port, crappy Namco port, but a port nonetheless of the game next year.

Beautiful Katamari was replaced by something else that was shown on Sony playstation day after E3. I don't see the need to be that worried. Namco will never only release their best games on the 360.

Around the Network

Probably it is a little of both. Namco knew that MS would be interested in Japan based games for the X360, so they made some kind of deal. But Namco also knows that it is sometimes better to release a game on a platform that has not the biggest userbase, especially if it's a new franchise in an old genre.

Just look at the sales for the Tales games, one of the best selling games was Symphonia that came out for the Cube. Granted, the Cube did not have such a small userbase in Japan as the 360 has, but it goes into the same direction: No competition and a fanbase that will love you for this.

I think that a lot of 360 owners will call ES the best RPG ever, and they will scream for a sequel. If it came out on the PS2 or the DS, people probably would have underrated it because it offers nothing new.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

naznatips said:
Well, I can't say there is really much evidence, but my guess would be their relationship goes like this:

Microsoft: Hey, you're one of the Japanese Big 4 developers (these are Nintendo, Sega, Namco-Bandai, and Konami in that order in case you didn't know), and we can't get the Japanese to buy our system, so we'll pay you lots of money to make games that appeal to them.

Namco-Bandai: K thanks.

I'm pretty sure that's all there is to it.

What about Square-Enix and Capcom?

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

mrstickball said:
Unless someone decides to divulge information on an actual 'deal' between MS and Namco, it's very dumb to say "oh, MS must obviously be moneyhatting them".

Yeah it could be the same situation as Ubisoft making Red Steel for the Wii, a company taking a risk in the hopes of a reward or just trying to cover all their bases.