By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit Helps Paralyzed Girl Walk Again

WTF are you all seriously touched by this??? may i ask how? if all it took was a few stretching exercises on wii fit the girl could have been walking god damm 3 years ago. she didnt need to wait for a piece of plastic to do it on.

Around the Network

and if you look here, Nintendo's stocks have climbed even more with this story. This graph also illustrates Wii fit sales and the rising awesomeness of Mr. Myamoto.

"Tell me why does it have to be so hard

to let go when it?s your final day

...When death is on it's way"

Pfft so what PS3 cures cancer!

Since there are no other programs/exercises out there to help people learn to walk,she used Wii-Fit...

ugh...Not even gonna mention anything because ill get banned by them nasty mods :{

BUT!

Well good for the little girl. That's very nice.

This is a good idea for a "I Blame Wii Fit" comic, but I just did one yesterday. Hrm... maybe next week.

Garnett said:

Pfft so what PS3 cures cancer!

Since there are no other programs/exercises out there to help people learn to walk,she used Wii-Fit...

ugh...Not even gonna mention anything because ill get banned by them nasty mods :{

BUT!

Actually, it doesn't.It helps find a cure for cancer, but leaving your PS3 on causes a incredible amount of energy used, therefore increasing the Global temperature!

Around the Network

@ Redspear
I come from a scientific research background where you are expected to actually do a little research before shooting off your mouth and to provide some documentation.

Besides his cynical attitude to the story just pissed me off. If a $350 investment helps at all, what's the problem. And as far as cheaper ways to accomplish the same thing shows he knows nothing about the cost of physical therapy or the other instruments cost.

townzy89 said:
WTF are you all seriously touched by this??? may i ask how? if all it took was a few stretching exercises on wii fit the girl could have been walking god damm 3 years ago. she didnt need to wait for a piece of plastic to do it on.

This isn’t a fanboy issue, there is plenty of REAL evidence that the Wii and Wii Fit have proven useful. We operate a large Children’s hospital, I’ve seen with my own eyes their suffering. Anything that helps is fine by me. If you want documentation see my posting on page three.

If sometimes it’s just a case of children, and sometimes adults, responding to it because it’s more fun than conventional therapy, that’s fine too. Whatever works the hell, works.

In the case that the Director of Rheumatology discussed with me, a little boy had a very debilitating and painful form of arthritis. The only way to get improvement is to become more active but that is extremely painful, especially at first. The boy hadn’t responded well to efforts to get him to move. They basically started with Wii Sports and just left it there running with the tennis game. He wasn’t able to resist the urge to participate, first with just hand movements and later with his arm. Finally it was apparently the ski jump that got him to stand. Today he is walking and using Wii Fit to relearn balance using its remarkable ability to measure balance and provide feedback. He’s also able to do much of this at home with his mother’s help cutting back greatly on expensive physical therapy.

The director says he has since gone on to use it with other patients with equal success.

If you can find anything in this to be cynical about and imply that there is something wrong with this, well I’m sorry for you. Fortunately there are physicians and therapists that are a little more open minded.

Cheebee said:
Nice. :)

On a side note, why the HECK does every single so called 'non-gamer' I've ever heard talking about Wii Fit call it "The Wii Fit". It's not the Wii Fit. It's Wii Fit. Period. Where did they ever come up with that expression? THE Wii Fit, seriously, like, that doesn't even make sense. 'So what are you doing later?' 'Me? Oh nothing special, just playing the Wii Fit. You know, mine. It's better than yours, it's THE Wii Fit.'

LOL this reminds me of my friend who is a film student. He shot a short film of him going into a gym and looking around every area of it, then going to the counter and saying "Where is the Wii Fit?? I want to use the Wii Fit". The guy behind the counter is like "we dont have it", and they go into this argument about gyms having "the Wii Fit", kinda tongue in cheek humor. ironically, a short while after the video was made, gyms started carrying Wii Fit.

Hell if it wasnt for Wii Fit, id be about 12 lbs heavier and barely ever exercise. =)

bardicverse said:
Cheebee said:
Nice. :)

On a side note, why the HECK does every single so called 'non-gamer' I've ever heard talking about Wii Fit call it "The Wii Fit". It's not the Wii Fit. It's Wii Fit. Period. Where did they ever come up with that expression? THE Wii Fit, seriously, like, that doesn't even make sense. 'So what are you doing later?' 'Me? Oh nothing special, just playing the Wii Fit. You know, mine. It's better than yours, it's THE Wii Fit.'

LOL this reminds me of my friend who is a film student. He shot a short film of him going into a gym and looking around every area of it, then going to the counter and saying "Where is the Wii Fit?? I want to use the Wii Fit". The guy behind the counter is like "we dont have it", and they go into this argument about gyms having "the Wii Fit", kinda tongue in cheek humor. ironically, a short while after the video was made, gyms started carrying Wii Fit.

Hell if it wasnt for Wii Fit, id be about 12 lbs heavier and barely ever exercise. =)

Wii helps the paralized walk.
PS3 help cures cancer.
DS will help you quit smoking.

Where is you contibution to society Microsoft?  It looks like the 360 has some work to do.

Outcast said:
All of which could have been done without over £300 worth of equipment. Give me a break.

True, but you can’t put a price on the fact that she’s walking again...

I’m sure physical therapy has helped a lot of patients perform near-miraculous things like this

but for a video game console help such a cause?

That’s the breaking news

Besides I don’t see any of your HD console doing anything to help the cause.

If anything, you hear some mature games influence violence

Also,

I doubt you’ve ever been in any major accident

Traumatic experiences can truly affect you not just physically but emotionally as well

The doctors will do anything in their power to help make the transition better than their current situation and make it a little more enjoyable to boost confidence

Plus do you know how much physical therapy actually cost?

EDIT:

heh, all anti-Wii stuff u’ve been posting

i think deep down insyde u’re in luv w/ wii... wii prollie makes u feel all warm and gooey insyde

LOL, scrooge