By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ars Technica: Sony and the "ten-year" console: a look at the argument

Hammer-of-Dawn said:
article is spot on

PS3 has little of what made PS2 a 10 year console.......and Sony is known for saying one thing and doing another (backwards compatibility and rumble).

60 GB PS3 and DULASHOCK 3

Around the Network
Snake said:
Hammer-of-Dawn said:
article is spot on

PS3 has little of what made PS2 a 10 year console.......and Sony is known for saying one thing and doing another (backwards compatibility and rumble).

That's kind of his point ...

When the XBox 360 was released Sony attacked Microsoft for releasing a system that only had partial backwards compatibility, and used it as an opportunity to boast about how the PS3 was going to be fully backwards compatible. Soon enough Sony needed to save money on the manufacturing costs of the PS3 and their fully backwards compatible system became similar to the partially backwards compatible XBox 360 that they mocked. Not too long later, as Sony needed to save money again, they took it one step further and removed backwards combatibility entirely from the PS3.

Something very similar happened with the Sixaxis ... Sony claimed that rumble was a last generation feature, and that no one could do rumble and motion controls at the same time, and then (after a lawsuit was settled) they were able to produce the Dual Shock 3

squil, Nintendo will keep the Wii around as long as people keep buying it. They dropped the GC because sales were so low. The GBA was still selling well into the DS's life, so Nintendo kept that around until sales finally started to drop. So it will be the market that decides how long the Wii lasts into its successor. Same with the DS.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

NJ5 said:
The "10-year plan" was never a plan per se. It was two other things:

1- A "10-year hope", as in SCE's employees "hope" that the PS3 will last 10 years.
2- A marketing buzz term (to try and convince customers to invest on the PS3 as it's a future proof investment).

The 10-year plan was a plan: it's something one thinks one will do in the future.  Your point 1 is vacuous because one could say of any future "plan" that it's merely a hope.  Do you plan to go out to dinner tonight.  No you don't, you only HOPE you'll be able to.  If unforeseen events occur, it'll PROVE that you didn't have a plan to go out to dinner.  Right?  LOL.

As for point 2, yes, it was a marketing term as well as a statement that PS3 has more "future-proof-ness" than 360.  The optical drive, games that can take advantage of the universal, mandatory hard drive, the fact that the hard drives aren't proprietary and can be swapped cheaply for larger drives, and the hard-to-unlock-but-high-potential Cell all speak to this point.

HappySqurriel said:
Snake said:
Hammer-of-Dawn said:
article is spot on

That's kind of his point ...

When the XBox 360 was released Sony attacked Microsoft for releasing a system that only had partial backwards compatibility, and used it as an opportunity to boast about how the PS3 was going to be fully backwards compatible. Soon enough Sony needed to save money on the manufacturing costs of the PS3 and their fully backwards compatible system became similar to the partially backwards compatible XBox 360 that they mocked. Not too long later, as Sony needed to save money again, they took it one step further and removed backwards combatibility entirely from the PS3.

Something very similar happened with the Sixaxis ... Sony claimed that rumble was a last generation feature, and that no one could do rumble and motion controls at the same time, and then (after a lawsuit was settled) they were able to produce the Dual Shock 3

sony was getting sue, harrison couldn't say anything about the patent company >_>. but trash it.

while sony support ps3 with third party the system will sell. they can sell it as a cheap media center in 10 year  for 100$ (blu ray and 500gb HDD) that play all multiplatform third party HD games and sony great first parties (GT5, KZ2, LBP, FF13, FF13 versus) and still selling.

even then a ps4 selling a 300$ price point or less.

Around the Network
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
NJ5 said:

1- A "10-year hope", as in SCE's employees "hope" that the PS3 will last 10 years.
2- A marketing buzz term (to try and convince customers to invest on the PS3 as it's a future proof investment).

The 10-year plan was a plan: it's something one thinks one will do in the future.  Your point 1 is vacuous because one could say of any future "plan" that it's merely a hope.  Do you plan to go out to dinner tonight.  No you don't, you only HOPE you'll be able to.  If unforeseen events occur, it'll PROVE that you didn't have a plan to go out to dinner.  Right?  LOL.

As for point 2, yes, it was a marketing term as well as a statement that PS3 has more "future-proof-ness" than 360.  The optical drive, games that can take advantage of the universal, mandatory hard drive, the fact that the hard drives aren't proprietary and can be swapped cheaply for larger drives, and the hard-to-unlock-but-high-potential Cell all speak to this point.

A plan would be something like "we plan to make the PS3 viable for as long as it benefits customers and us to the best of our ability". Which every console maker does I believe. Starting to fix specific timelines which are out of your control is not a plan, it's just a desire or a belief.

It makes as much sense for Sony to have a 10-year plan for the PS3 as for me to have a 10-year plan for being alive. All I can do is strive for it to happen and hope for it. Anything else is ridiculous and wishful thinking.

PS: BTW I hope I'll get better than 10 years :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
NJ5 said:

A plan would be something like "we plan to make the PS3 viable for as long as it benefits customers and us to the best of our ability". Which every console maker does I believe. Starting to fix specific timelines which are out of your control is not a plan, it's just a desire or a belief.

It makes as much sense for Sony to have a 10-year plan for the PS3 as for me to have a 10-year plan for being alive. All I can do is strive for it to happen and hope for it. Anything else is ridiculous and wishful thinking.

PS: BTW I hope I'll get better than 10 years :P

Heh, well don't ever call something a plan, then.  They're only hopes.  And do you think everyone else agree with this perversion of language

And, "ridiculous and wishful thinking"?  How about PRETTY LIKELY?  And 10 years on the shelves is more within Sony's control than continued life is for you (unfortunately, shit happens).

I hope for 10+ years for my PS3 support, and think I'll get it, due to Sony's plan.  ;)  Granted, plans sometimes do fail.  We need to just evaluate the likelihood of that happening.  I'm open to that.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Heh, well don't ever call something a plan, then.  They're only hopes.  And do you think everyone else agree with this perversion of language

And, "ridiculous and wishful thinking"?  How about PRETTY LIKELY?  And 10 years on the shelves is more within Sony's control than continued life is for you (unfortunately, shit happens).

I hope for 10+ years for my PS3 support, and think I'll get it, due to Sony's plan.  ;)  Granted, plans sometimes do fail.  We need to just evaluate the likelihood of that happening.  I'm open to that.

As for the likelihood, notice how Sony is barely supporting the PS2 with not even 10 years passed by. Even the PS2 as a wildly successful console is not being supported much by Sony these days. Also, it's not for Sony to control whether their consoles are on shelves or not, except perhaps at the Sony stores.

PS: I know my odds of living for 10 more years or more, and I think I'll do better than the PS3.

NJ5 said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

As for the likelihood, notice how Sony is barely supporting the PS2 with not even 10 years passed by. Even the PS2 as a wildly successful console is not being supported much by Sony these days.

Yeah, does the plan mean new game support, or does it mean available on the shelves?  I think the latter, actually, given that PS1 was on the shelves for 10 but didn't get games for 10. 

BUT, since PS3 can have downloadable movies and such via PSN indefinitely, there are ways in which PS3 might be actually supported for that long.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Yeah, does the plan mean new game support, or does it mean available on the shelves?  I think the latter, actually, given that PS1 was on the shelves for 10 but didn't get games for 10. 

BUT, since PS3 can have downloadable movies and such via PSN indefinitely, there are ways in which PS3 might be actually supported for that long.

Well in some ways the PS3 might be supported for 10 years or more, but I was thinking of a 10 year lifetime as a lifetime with significant game releases and 1st party support which is doubtful for the PS2, even more for the PS3.

Anyway, we both agree this is more of a marketing thing, so it doesn't really matter. It's up to each person to make up their mind whether they believe it or not, and whether it plays a part on deciding whether to buy a PS3.