By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ars Technica: Sony and the "ten-year" console: a look at the argument

disolitude said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_II

Sorry...not on list. If Wikidedia doesn't list it it doesnt exist :)

It looks like it was cancelled for the NES (it's in the cancelled NES games category).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

ssj i agree

NJ5 said:
disolitude said:

It looks like it was cancelled for the NES (it's in the cancelled NES games category).

It was released just not by Capcom. It was unsanctioned port of the game.

@NJ5

Are you an immortal vampire like Hiroshi Yamauchi?

ssj12 said:
disolitude said:
Good article. I love the "everyone has a 10 year plan" statement.

Shows that the "10 year plan" statement from Sony was just their way of trying to get consumers to invest in the system and hopefully with enough investements they can make it last for 10 years.

Like a pyramid scheme... :)

actually you missed some backstory it seems to the everyone has a 10 year plan statement.

Sony announced the 10 year plan a few years back as we all know but Nintendo and Microsoft wasnt talking about how long they were going to have their consoles on the market. For all we know before Sony announced their 10 year plan we could have had a Wii HD and Xbox 720 in 5 or 6 years.

After some presstime on Sony's plan Nintendo announced that they agree with Sony's plan because it would be cheaper to stick with a console for a longer period of time and also be able to see how things evolve and when it comes time to release a new console they would be able to have affordable but great graphics with some innovative gameplay out of the R&D department like what they believe is Sony's plan out of all this.

Microsoft's jump onto this plan came a while later when people started to wonder how long the 360 was going to last since the PS3's graphics were catching up rather quickly to the 360's. After a while Microsoft decided to release a statement discussing how they will keep their console on the market for a while. Never stated how long, just a while. That recently MS started talking how they will keep the console on the market longer than the PS3, which isnt likely, but it means that we wont be seeing a NextBox until the 360 doesnt earn enough profit to speak about.

Now you should understand the backstory.

That back story makes for a nice thing you can tell your kids some day...and it does paint sony in a 100% positive light which you are very good at doing.

The way I see it, sony knew that PS3 did not have sufficient software to justify the 499 and 599 price tag for over a year. So they wanted to "re-assure" the consumer that the money spent on the console will pay off later. So they used the marketting buzz word "10-year-plan".

Sadly I don't think the general public bought the idea as they had to lower the price in less than a year.

Anyone throwing silly predictions like the 10 year plan falls in the same PR BS category as devs who use CPU % usage when describing their games...most of which tend to be from the Sony camp as well.

How many people here have the money and are willing to spend $2,000+ every 12 months to upgrade their system to have the best graphics possible? While that might seem a little extreme, asking typical gamers to spend $500 (or more) to buy a system where they will have to spend an additional $500 (or more) to replace it in a few years is a very similar request.

While Sony may talk a lot about the 10 year plan they realistically have no intent on supporting the PS3 in its later years ... Just look at the PS2, how many noteworthy Sony published PS2 games have come out since the PS3 was released? How many noteworth Sony published games came out after the PS3 was on the market for 12 months? If Sony stopped supporting the super popular PS2 after it was on the market for 6 years, why would they heavily support the struggling PS3 after its 6th year?

Around the Network

HappySquirriel, you make an excellent point. You did as well Disolitude. The 10 year plan was and still is just a talking point for Sony. Like the "value" chart they rolled out recently it's a sign that maybe they just don't get it. They are still rolling out failed PR tactics from 2006. They need to wise up and adjust to what their competition is doing or get left in the dust.

Unlike Nintendo, Sony isn't sitting on a dearth of cash. They don't have two generations to get their act together. They need to start making the necessary changes now. That way than can ensure that the PS4 won't befall the same fate as the PS3. The PS3 won't win this generation but if they start making wise decisions they can set up the PS4 to succeed like the PS1 and PS2 did before it.

ssj12 said:

actually you missed some backstory it seems to the everyone has a 10 year plan statement.

Sony announced the 10 year plan a few years back as we all know but Nintendo and Microsoft wasnt talking about how long they were going to have their consoles on the market. For all we know before Sony announced their 10 year plan we could have had a Wii HD and Xbox 720 in 5 or 6 years.

After some presstime on Sony's plan Nintendo announced that they agree with Sony's plan because it would be cheaper to stick with a console for a longer period of time and also be able to see how things evolve and when it comes time to release a new console they would be able to have affordable but great graphics with some innovative gameplay out of the R&D department like what they believe is Sony's plan out of all this.

Microsoft's jump onto this plan came a while later when people started to wonder how long the 360 was going to last since the PS3's graphics were catching up rather quickly to the 360's. After a while Microsoft decided to release a statement discussing how they will keep their console on the market for a while. Never stated how long, just a while. That recently MS started talking how they will keep the console on the market longer than the PS3, which isnt likely, but it means that we wont be seeing a NextBox until the 360 doesnt earn enough profit to speak about.

Now you should understand the backstory.

Hold on, can you elaborate on this? I'm not completely sure, but the way you worded it, it almost seems like Sony's plan "caught on" with Nintendo and Microsoft, and they adopted it since they thought it was such a great idea. Surely that isn't what you meant, right...?

By the way, recall what Iwata said when asked about the 10-year plan:

Deciding upon a certain time period that someone can sell is becoming a nonsense. After all, the primary concern for me is not to let consumers purchase hardware but to enjoy software.

Having said that, however hard our software developers try create new unprecedented titles with great ideas eventually there'll be a day when developers say they have no more means with the hardware, that's exactly the time we need to introduce people to new hardware.

Man, I just browsed some articles and looked at comments regarding this 10-year plan - I'm shocked. The number of people that buy into it is astounding.

disolitude said:
Darc Requiem said:
disolitude said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
NJ5 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Silly Atari people.

The NES' lifespan was 1983 - 2007. 10 year plans are for wimps.

More important than support is the steady release of games. What was the last year the NES saw a steady release of games (say, at least 4 games per month)?

In what country?  Certain eastern countries still have them for sale with games and the like.  Just because they haven't been on a shelf in a US Walmart for a decade doesn't mean they haven't been on retail shelves of other countries possibly even with region specific games.

Master system lasted longer than NES. NES may have been suported with repairs but no games and no hardware was made once it was discontinued...in 1995

Master system was made in Europe until 1996 and in Brazi until ...TODAY! Street fighter 2 on NES? not a chance...on master system however...its possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Master_System

You sure about that?

mike_intellivision said:
The PS3 is bleeding edge. Most people are hesitant to be cutting edge.

"bleeding edge" is an actual term...but the PS3 ain't it. Referring to the PS3 as "bleeding edge" with a straight face is only possible in a thread that plays up the fact that the PS3 was "ahead of its time" when it was launched.

The sony invisible clear paper TV is bleeding edge. Blu-Ray and The Cell are not.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Street Fighter 2 on the NES? THAT IS NOTHING!

I give you Street Fighter 2 on the...
Commodore 64! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xhfTm4-kFw

And if you press me, I will give you Doom on the...
Intellivision!

MUHAHAHAH!

Wow, I thought I would be limited to just the original Street Fighter on the Commodore 64. But nope, we get SF II. WOO! Of course, I could do Mortal Kombat on the original Gameboy to go completely down the road to oblivion