By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

steverhcp02 said:

The wii is innovative its advanced into its own market and expanded its userbase and demographics. To say in one breath the Wii is innovative and yet also remains in the same market as the PS3 and 360 is not only hipocritical but ridiculous. The wii has expanded and grown and reached dmeographics and the product itself is simply not in the same market as the console and videogame industry that we have all known.

the main problem in these "ZOMG sony is in denial" threads is people that are still stuck on "videogame market" as a constant. The PS3 and 360 have remained and cater to the original histrorical "market" and the wii has evolved what we have always viewed as a constant...controlle rin hand, pushing buttons on our couch shoot em or score points system.

its not denial, its not anger its not a 5 step process....the wii has expanded immensly how people VIEW videogames....because of this it cant be thrown in with tradition systems or systems that really only have one thing in common, putting a disc in a box and things showing up on screen. you cant just take one aspect that these things have in common and say theyre teh same because of this one thing.

People need to just understand its very simple. the HD consoles over higher resolution, video on demand, rental services, advanced audio, graphics and traitions control schemes. The variables and aspects of the Wii and 360 and PS3 literally have few things in common so i dont understand how people who are knowledgable about these systems can still argue theyre in the same market when theyre really not very similar in their functions.

They have some common variables but a far greater amount of things different....they simply cant be compared directly....

No matter what arguments you use, fact remains that PS3+360 sales is less than PS2+Xbox+GC at the same point in time last gen.

So either you are right and traditional gaming is in an enormous decline and is replaced by something we can call Wiigaming OR you are wrong and Wii is in fact a regular gaming machine that just so happens to attract a lot of new and lapsed gamers.

You choose.

Some aditional questions:

So according to you every innovation automatically creates a new market?!? That's insane.

Please explain to me why Wii is getting traditional games like House of the Death, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Fatal Frame etc. if it's something totally different from PS360? I have the feeling that if these weren't made for Wii, they'd show up on PS360.

Please tell me what you see as the core-functionality of the PS360. If it's gaming you've proven your own point false. I do however hope that you see that their core-functionality IS in fact gaming.

Please explain how you call watching TV in HD. Since that's obviously very different from SDTV they're not at all in the same market.

Around the Network

In fairness he is partially correct. The Wii undoubtably has grown the market and I do not see the soccermoms doing Wii Fit, the retirement centers that put Wiis in for physical activity or the lapsed gamers brought back in, as having been likely to have ever bought a PS3.

But to pretend that the Wii has not impacted potential sales at all is disingenuous to be diplomatic, or lying through his teeth to be candid. I'm sure he knows the truth and I'm sure they have conducted research to know exactly how much each competitor has taken away sales. But what else is he going to say? "Hi stockholders, I'm sorry we so badly misjudged the market that we pretty much pissed away everything we made on the PS2 and nearly bankrupted the company."

Most people on this forum are probably way too young to remember Pogo Possum but it used to have wonderful quotes and the one that applies here is: "We've won a moral victory. That means we lost."

Weak Statements from a man, who power might soon be curtailed. His statements lacks common sense:

""Last time I checked, they've never had a console that's been on the market for more than four or five years and we've committed to a ten year life cycle, so you do the math."

Last time I checked, this is M$ 2nd console, and th efirst one was not BUILT with efficiencies to reduce cost over the life of the console, whereas this console has been from the start, hence the current lowest price on the market. Last ime I checked, the ps3 isn't likely to EVER deliver ROI for sony, so why would you continue to make something that saps your current console.

Will the 360 last 10 years in production, probably not, but i can see it lasting 6 without a doubt, and likely 7 or 8 if cost continue to drop. I can see the next xbox being compatible with this gen, since M$ is a software company, and will seek to seamlessly integrate it into the Xbox Live infacstructure. His comments are as clouded as sony's future.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)

This my favorite quote:

"
We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai."

he's nuts.....

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
steverhcp02 said:

The wii is innovative its advanced into its own market and expanded its userbase and demographics. To say in one breath the Wii is innovative and yet also remains in the same market as the PS3 and 360 is not only hipocritical but ridiculous. The wii has expanded and grown and reached dmeographics and the product itself is simply not in the same market as the console and videogame industry that we have all known.

the main problem in these "ZOMG sony is in denial" threads is people that are still stuck on "videogame market" as a constant. The PS3 and 360 have remained and cater to the original histrorical "market" and the wii has evolved what we have always viewed as a constant...controlle rin hand, pushing buttons on our couch shoot em or score points system.

its not denial, its not anger its not a 5 step process....the wii has expanded immensly how people VIEW videogames....because of this it cant be thrown in with tradition systems or systems that really only have one thing in common, putting a disc in a box and things showing up on screen. you cant just take one aspect that these things have in common and say theyre teh same because of this one thing.

People need to just understand its very simple. the HD consoles over higher resolution, video on demand, rental services, advanced audio, graphics and traitions control schemes. The variables and aspects of the Wii and 360 and PS3 literally have few things in common so i dont understand how people who are knowledgable about these systems can still argue theyre in the same market when theyre really not very similar in their functions.

They have some common variables but a far greater amount of things different....they simply cant be compared directly....

No matter what arguments you use, fact remains that PS3+360 sales is less than PS2+Xbox+GC at the same point in time last gen.

So either you are right and traditional gaming is in an enormous decline and is replaced by something we can call Wiigaming OR you are wrong and Wii is in fact a regular gaming machine that just so happens to attract a lot of new and lapsed gamers.

You choose.

Some aditional questions:

So according to you every innovation automatically creates a new market?!? That's insane.

Please explain to me why Wii is getting traditional games like House of the Death, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Fatal Frame etc. if it's something totally different from PS360? I have the feeling that if these weren't made for Wii, they'd show up on PS360.

Please tell me what you see as the core-functionality of the PS360. If it's gaming you've proven your own point false. I do however hope that you see that their core-functionality IS in fact gaming.

Please explain how you call watching TV in HD. Since that's obviously very different from SDTV they're not at all in the same market.

i dont understand why youre going after me an dmy post like im saying something negative? Whats with the hostility?

for example...BD to DVD...they both play movies but to not acknowledge the difference in the whole package limits the advancement of BD.

Iphone compared to a cell phone.

DVR vs. vhs recording.

ipod to walkman.

hybrid autos vs normal taditional autos.

dial up internet vs high speed internet

As i said, im not saying there arent similarities and im not advocating, as you seem to be assuming, that the Wii is bad or that im talking about console sales or anything. I understand the decline in what we consider traditional consoles, i seriously dont understand the basis for your questions.

Innovation doesnt create NEW markets in the black and white sense ytou and others seem to be attacking my posts, but when we are discussing competitors in a direct historical sense, the amount of innovation that nintendo has offered via the wii i can wholeheartedly agree that Sony, MSFT and nintendo are just on different pages.....as we see technology evolve, with the aforementioned examples we cant fathom dial up competeing with high speed, or ipods with walkmans, or DVR vs vhs recording....in time i really think we will see an evolution in gaming and we may very well look back and see the Wii got the ball roling, but perhaps theres a gray area and we are in it right now.

It always happens with new tech, sometimes its hit or mis, IE laser disc, beta, umd. But when the dust is settled yes, a new market can be created, an advancement if you will. I think we are seeing that with the Wii....so yes, in a sense they COMPETE but with the examples ive given we now have an evolution of markets from product A to B.....i cant articulate it any better than that. im sorry.

i dont understand why you and some other posters seem to be responded defenseively like im insulting the Wii or something, theyre capitalizing on innovation and because of that theyre expanding a market and because of this its putting the console into a new market ahead, if you will, or simply seperate from the PS3 and 360.

The aforementioned examples all have things in common but the fundamental principals of the advancements set them apart from one another. Hybrid gas consumption, mobility and functionality of the iod form the walkman....etc.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

kowenicki said:
magik10 said:
This my favorite quote:

"
We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai."

he's nuts.....

Actually that is nuts isnt it!

so in other words they made it difficult on purpose so that the programmers would take longer to master it, longer to get the games out and would make less money. genius. is he pissed? (UK. drunk not angry)

And in term made lots of bad ports for the PS3,not to mention lost lots of small third party studios,im calling BS on his statement,hes trying to damage control.

As I see it he is right in one point.

The Wii is on a different path bringing in alot of casual gamers who may have never played a videogame in their whole life.

While the 360 and Ps3 are going primarily after the same hardcore gaming fans which have probably been gaming since they were younger.

Rest assure though next generation of gaming is going to be interesting seing as these "casual gamers" probably will not be casual gaming anymore and might actually want to play more hardcore oriented games so they might shift over to the Ps4 or Xbox 720 lmao...unless Nintendo finds a way to appeal to hardcore gamers with support from 3rd party developers...I dont see that happening at the moment.

As for Ps3 sales...I feel that with a Price cut the Ps3 can and WILL catch up to the 360 maybe not this year but definitely in the years following...I know ALOT of people trading and selling their 360's for Ps3's...Im the opposite I want to buy a 360 again lol...just wating for it to be cheaper its not worth it at its price tag...this would be my 4th 360 :)

Yea if I were losing that badly I'd say the competition didn't count too haha. I'm sure the Detroit Lions said the same thing last year too. Yea we went 0-16 but everyone else doesn't count so we won.