By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Trends in the NPD Top Twenty Games 2005-2008

What other big multiplats are out this year? on the scale of GTAIV

The sequel to the Modern Warfare is the only one confirmed. Assassin's Creed 2 make make it as well.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network
dolemit3 said:

What other big multiplats are out this year? on the scale of GTAIV

The sequel to the Modern Warfare is the only one confirmed. Assassin's Creed 2 make make it as well.

MW2 will be released the same time every year, just before christmas, WaW never managed to make the top 20 so MW2 won't either.

Thing is, with these games released around christmas they only have 4 - 8 weeks to accumulate sales. Its not long enough, you need them to sell like crazy, and the fact that the Wii has an install base 3x the PS3 in NA and the 360 double then its hard to compete.

woopah said:
is this just for december?

and we cant see the DS

apart from that its good

This is for the entire year, just like the list we just got this week.

darthdevidem01 said:
@seece

but 2 SONY games made it

are you telling me a PSP game made it

+ this is top 20 for the year not for just december right??

No PSP game has ever made the top 20 for the year

What's really shocking is too see how dependant Sony STILL is on the PS2 to sell software. I doubt the PS2 will have anything in the top 20 for 2009 (but it would be possible with something like a GH bundle I suppose) and PSP sure won't so it's all up to the PS3 and this might have been it's best year already.

As the 360 and Wii's installed base continues to grow larger than the PS3's it becomes ever more difficult for it to compare to thier software sales.

Plus with Nintendo seemingly having discovered the golden goose of evergreen titles, likely 10-11 of those 12 from 2008 will also chart in 2009's top twenty along with newer titles.

Around the Network

Microsoft always in the midfield

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

ps2 domination era is in its death throes!

The massive Sony empire collapse, in pretty colours! Its like the history channel but with Sales numbers instead of Romans.

Tease.

Seriously though if no Sony games make the top 20 next year its not going to look good.

Pie charts look like the evolution of the color changing pac man haha. But yea things have definitely changed in the last 4 years. And geez in 2005 PS2 had 17 of the top 20. That is just ungodly.