By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 worth it now or wait? (for me that is)

I am still looking at the PS3 150 off deal with a credit card...  With tax  and free shipping, it comes to about $395 for a 60 gig.  I'm looking at a few good games on the near term horizon that I'm really interested in but I just can't decide.

Here's why:  I don't have an HDTV yet.  When I do I'm going at least 42" LCD -- probably 47" and given they are still 1500 bucks it won't be for a while.  That makes the blu-ray not terribly important (for now).

There aren't any games at the moment that I would purchase day one so I'd be buying to because of the price (which will expire end of August) and for games looking forward.

When do you think a PS3 of any flavor will reach $399?  March next year?  Not until holidays next year?  That is a big question.

I have a 360, PS2, and Wii, so I have a lot of options in terms of games to play at the moment...

If it's likely there will be a $399 ps3 flavor early next year I'll wait.  Otherwise I might just go ahead and pull the trigger and sit on it until the games I want (or think I want) arrive.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Well wait that's what I'm doing, I was about to get a PS3 but my cousin really wanted me to get a Xbox 360 and I got it and satsified...I will get a PS3 once those games I really want come out, like MGS4 and FFXIII and FFXIII versus, Uncharted. There is plenty of games put for the 360...but the PS3 in my opinion is not worth the purchase right now just wait until it hits $350 or $400.

Its worth it now. Get the ps3, I mean come on heavenly sword coming out in weeks, and warhawk out next weekend.

mM
leo-j said:
Its worth it now. Get the ps3, I mean come on heavenly sword coming out in weeks, and warhawk out next weekend.

Those two games are not worth it in alot of peoples books, need more major titles

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

hahaha warhawk and HS = Flops dont get the ps3 i had the same choice spend the money on games

Feel free to check out my 8 montages at www.youtube.co.uk/stonj 

you can also find me at myspace.com/jamiestoner47 and on facebook

XBL :: stonj

Around the Network
leo-j said:

I knew you would be here to offer your unbiased opinion but those two aren't what I'm looking forward to.  The two biggest are LBP and KZ2.  Possibly Lair -- depending on reviews.  I'm a panzer dragoon fan from the original saturn version and I've watched this title since it was announced way back.

I hate trolls.

Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Sony usually lower the price during March's so next March is probably a price cut to $399.
Uncharted is this year and MGS4 is next year so if you get it next year you can get 2 games instantly and then GTAIV comes out and your set for a month or two.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

I think you should take into consideration backwards compatibility, the emotion engine is being removed from the ps3, so if you have a lot o ps2 & ps1 games and like to play those withut having 3 diferent consoles and without any doubt that they work properly you should get the 60 gig model. Thas what I did, (the moment i find out about the emotion engine being removed).
Besides it looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Sorry for my english.

Wii # 1303 9468 5016 0389

PSN Cmarkru

Xbox live gold Cmarkru

Please feel free to ad me any time, just let me know.

In the UK where we got no EE from the beginning which is a blow it doesnt really matter that much there is a list on PS.com somewhere about which games work and which dont i think about 1000+ PS2 games work and 1000+ PS1 games work so haveing a game that doesnt work on the PS3 without EE is hard to find unless you have very unknown games or games that bombed badly.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

The backward compatible issue is a non-event. The only PS2 games I have left are dance and karaoke games that others in my household play. I generally don't keep games. I buy them, finish them, and move on to the next one...

If the PS3 was pretty certain to be a $399 console come March of next year, then I would wait. LBP and Killzone 2 are the two games I'm most looking forward two and they are listed as Feb. 08. If they slip like so many have recently, I'll be right there in March...

I hate trolls.