By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does the Wii have "last-gen" graphics...?

Technically, its graphics are really less advanced compared to the PS3 and XBOX 360 (no shit Sherlock! :P) but it has better capacities than last gen... So from my somewhat weird logic, it has current gen graphics! ^_^

If only thrid parties wouldn't be so lazy, we would have better looking games. Some are in their way but we still miss some great games with yummi looking graphics!

Around the Network
lolita said:

If only thrid parties wouldn't be so lazy, we would have better looking games. Some are in their way but we still miss some great games with yummi looking graphics!

Thats PS3 owner talk...

What people really need to get straight is that is doesn´t matter what graphics a console has, if the Wii had NES gaphics and was selling well then those graphics would be current gen, do Wii users say the 360 and PS3 have a last gen interface ??? (don´t sixaxis all over me it´s not the same)  

What matters is how new the console is and that its getting new games nothing else. 

Soriku said:
When it has BETTER graphics than the XBOX which was last-gen? Stupid, I know, but seriously, IT HAS NEXT-GEN GRAPHICS!

Just look at screenshots from games like gears, bioshock, blue dragon and compare them to any wii game.

Which one Looks better
http://www.sshock2.com/bioshock/showimage.asp?p=/bioshock/screenshots/11.jpg
http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/9952/257305_full.jpg

Its pretty obvious

grandmaster192 said:
People are stupid. Same reason people think the PS3 has worse graphics then the 360

Saying theyre stupid is a bit too much imo. If you compare most games which are on both platforms, each will have its pros and cons, but generally (so far) the 360 has superior graphics, but barely. If you compare the graphics in Oblivion, you will notice that general textures and bumb mapping are superior in the 360 version, especially on the walls and floors, but the PS3 has a superior draw distance and better lighting and Bloom/HDR effects. 

Other examples are in games such as Madden 08, the 360 version and PS3 verion look identical, but the 360 version runs at 60fps, while the PS3 version at 30. One other example ive noticed is the game Fear, the PS3 version has washed-out visuals and a stuttering frame rate, while the 360 version doesnt.

All these differences are no result though of differences in power though, its mainly because developers have been making games for the 360 for over one and a half years, while they are still getting familiar with the PS3 hardware, which has been out for less time.  So yes, at the moment the 360 generally has better graphics, but barely, and soon enough the PS3 will probably overtake the 360 (marginally though)

well, untill people start to knowtice the graphic difference majorly when they get hd tv, but untill then the graphics and stuff will be better but not that important. In terms of graphics i dont see wii as next gen, but because of its new motion/innovative gamplay, its next gen to me.

To me i always prefered better graphics on SOME games like FF because the more realistic they are to me the more i feel connected and like its real. But games like mario etc dont need better graphics to succeed because its based on gameplay which is just as huge as factor if not alot bigger. (though thats not saying that the 360 and the PS3 have bad gameplay, some games are extremely fun and have good graphics)

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
thors1982 said:

http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/9952/257305_full.jpg

Seriously did they improve MP engine in any way or it's moved straight from GC... It's really difficult to spot the  difference between M2 and M3... at least for me... 

^^ if your logic was valid you would be better than your parents

What a waste...

Nobody that has developed on all three consoles would say that Wii has the same capabilities as the other two. You can build games that will look the same on all three...

You cannot build Call of Duty 4, Stranglehold, etc. on the Wii. Otherwise, someone would have by now. Wii is an improvement over the last generation of consoles. Wii is not clearly a "NextGen" of graphics. There are 10 million Wii users... With the budget of the games mentioned above, they would want to develop for the Wii to guarantee ROI. But they just can't.

El Duderino said:
^^ if your logic was valid you would be better that your parents

If you believe in evolution, that statement is true. You just can't see enough of a pattern by looking from one generation to the next. Of course, by your statement, as long as something is new, it's next generation whether there are improvements or not.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

ceres said:
El Duderino said:
^^ if your logic was valid you would be better that your parents

If you believe in evolution, that statement is true. You just can't see it by looking from one generation to the next. 

The theory of evolution doesn't really say that.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.