By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official December NPD 2008 Thread

It will be interesting to see the financial reports now. I'm really curious to see how the results match up.

Around the Network
TheSource said:

I'm very suspicious of the Wii number given that December had five weeks and that November had four.

2.04m/4 weeks in Nov = 510k/week

2.15m/5 weeks in Dec = 430k/week

Does anyone really believe Nintendo would ship more in November weeks than in December weeks? If they just sent a massive allocation for November and hoped it would hold and sent a comparable allocation for December its a pretty terrible tactical decision.

That's comparing November's NPD, right?

You're right, that's completely absurd.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
BengaBenga said:
TheSource said:

I'm very suspicious of the Wii number given that December had five weeks and that November had four.

2.04m/4 weeks in Nov = 510k/week

2.15m/5 weeks in Dec = 430k/week

Does anyone really believe Nintendo would ship more in November weeks than in December weeks? If they just sent a massive allocation for November and hoped it would hold and sent a comparable allocation for December its a pretty terrible tactical decision.

I'm usually not a sceptical man, but I'm with you here. I honestly can't believe these numbers are real Especially not considering VGC was very close to the rest of the consoles.

Maybe I don't get this post but....  theres only 1 day difference between the months...

So... Nov 68k /day

Dec 69k /day

Totals over 2008:

1. Wii Play w/ remote - Wii – Nintendo – 5.28 million
2. Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel – Wii – Nintendo – 5.00 million
3. Wii Fit w/ balance board – Wii – Nintendo – 4.53 million
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Wii – Nintendo – 4.17 million
5. Grand Theft Auto IV - Xbox 360 – Take-Two – 3.29 million*
6. Call of Duty: World at War - Xbox 360 – Activision – 2.75 million*
7. Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360 – Microsoft – 2.31 million*
8. Grand Theft Auto IV - PS3 – Take-Two – 1.89 million*
9. Madden NFL '09 - Xbox 360 – Electronic Arts – 1.87 million*
10. Mario Kart - DS – Nintendo – 1.65 million

Top 4 is Wii! GTA "only" place 5 and 8. Times have changed indeed.

I want numbers for RPGs this month. Mostly Tales on Wii, VC on PS3, and Star Ocean on PSP.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

For the third month in a row, Microsoft's Xbox 360 soundly topped Sony's PlayStation 3 in sales. Nintendo's Wii, though, once again dominated both its competitors.

Here's how the three consoles lined up during the crucial month of December, compared to the same month ago:

Nintendo Wii: 2.15 million (up 59 percent)
Xbox 360: 1.44 million (up 14 percent)
PS3: 0.726 million (down 9 percent)

In a note, NPD Analyst Anita Frazier said, "38 months into this generation of hardware, the three new systems have sold a combined 38.2 million units, whereas at the same point last generation, in December 2003, the three systems had sold 36.9 million units."

And here's a chart showing how sales lined up:

2.15 million ain't bad guys just surprising. Can't believe people are saying that's bad haha.

But man it's a lot lower than we all expected. Ninty must have really ran short and a lot more than we ever thought. It's just so surprising they were unable to ship more in 5 weeks of December than 4 weeks of November.

But man everyone was off on Wii. Everywone was at about 3 million on predictions so it's quite interesting. I'll wait for Nintendo shipments on this, though, because NPD isn't the final word.

although wii numbers are dissappointing animal crossing AND both mario karts in the top 10! :O:O:O

now who predicted that?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

famousringo said:
DMeisterJ said:
Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God.

Put down the hand lotion, tiger. This is a family thread.

That means no posting the animated GIF image of Kermit next to a bottle of hand lotion?

PS2's record high for a week is 1,761,665.