By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1up might be going under...

@ckmlb, I don't think the topic creator was implying there was any real connection between 1up's parent company selling it and its lower wii review scores, it was just ironic to the tc. Kind of a "we're not sad to see them go because we never liked their reviews anyway" sort of situation.

Around the Network

Am I the only one who looked at Retro Roundup?

ckmlb said:
I'll be very upset. Best gaming site hands down.

The magazine can disappear I wouldn't care too much for that as much as the site and network.

But what makes you think 1UP is going to disappear? This news has been going on for months that Ziff Davis is going to sell 1up and so it wouldn't go down even if they went bankrupt.

Also your assertion that this has something to do with 'issues' with Wii reviews (issues in the heads of Nintendo fanboys only) is ludicrous.

I can't believe how quickly Nintendo fans suddenly became the most arrogant people on the planet... you know not everything revolves around the Wii and DS on this planet.

I hear Amped Mobile is going out of business cause they didn't embrace the Wii!

Give it a break mate ;) I purely quoted the article. Even if they do go under, anything could happen to 1UP (or even the mags). Might get bought out, and end up under the IGN/Gamespot umbrella of sites for instance.

(and as someone pointed out - see the "its ironic" - there is no reason why any sort of review scores would really impact the profitability of the media conglomerate. Although I have to admit I never visit 1UP for reviews - but then I never visit 95% of sites, just check umbrella scores on gamerankings)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Cklmb, why are you so aggressive lately? Take a chill pill.

Personally looking at the gamerankings averages I think Wii games have been pushed up by smaller magazines/sites giving higher rankings on games. Maybe because smaller magazines give more 'casual' reviews?
Who knows? But EGM was harsh on everyone.

If any of you know anything about business, nothing will change. Those IPs are far too valuable to let slip. Someone will pick them up and purchase the IP.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

The Ziff Davis group has been in financial trouble for a good while now.

That's why they are closing magazines and such and there were negotiations to sell 1up.com network to dell for a while.

I just hope it survives with the same people involved because it is the most entertaining game sites (best podcasts and video podcasts about games) and they have great features, reviews, previews and so on.

Unlike some people I don't go around screaming bias when a PS3 game gets rated low or something...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
The Ziff Davis group has been in financial trouble for a good while now.

That's why they are closing magazines and such and there were negotiations to sell 1up.com network to dell for a while.

I just hope it survives with the same people involved because it is the most entertaining game sites (best podcasts and video podcasts about games) and they have great features, reviews, previews and so on.

Unlike some people I don't go around screaming bias when a PS3 game gets rated low or something...

YES! They have some of the best features.

I'm sort of neutral I guess to the idea of 1UP going. I usually read their reviews, but that's not to say I take them as fact or that I'm unwilling to just read other peoples' reviews. I find this generation I agree with IGN more often anyway.

ckmlb said:
I'll be very upset. Best gaming site hands down.

The magazine can disappear I wouldn't care too much for that as much as the site and network.

But what makes you think 1UP is going to disappear? This news has been going on for months that Ziff Davis is going to sell 1up and so it wouldn't go down even if they went bankrupt.

Also your assertion that this has something to do with 'issues' with Wii reviews (issues in the heads of Nintendo fanboys only) is ludicrous.

I can't believe how quickly Nintendo fans suddenly became the most arrogant people on the planet... you know not everything revolves around the Wii and DS on this planet.

I hear Amped Mobile is going out of business cause they didn't embrace the Wii!

First of all, it's not Nintendo fans, it's Nintendo fanboys. Second, I like how Nintendo is getting singled out when I remember quite an outcry from Sony fanboys when EGM gave Lair the 5.5. I can still find threads on GameFAQs claiming that the review is not only a lie but a lie fabricated by a secret underground society of Xbox fanboys. Because you're certainly not allowed to give low scores to AYCH DEE GAMIIIING!

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Rath said:
EGM upsets me a bit.
1UP itself? Nah not really.

About how i feel.  Hope someone buys EGM or takes on most of their staff.