By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo European Hardware LTD & 2008 YTD

Wii sets new sales record in 2008

8.3 million units sold in Europe is the largest annual sales of any home console.

Nintendo has announced that strong demand for Wii and Nintendo DS in 2008 has resulted in record sales for both consoles in Europe.

Sales of Wii continued their upward trend, with over 8.3 million units sold in 2008, a 58 per cent increase on 2007. This figure also sets a new record for the largest annual sales of a home console in European gaming history. The installed base of Wii in Europe is now more than 14.2 million.

The Nintendo DS also continues to break records, selling 11.2 million units across Europe in 2008. This represents the largest ever annual sales of a gaming console in European history. The total number of Nintendo DS consoles now sold to European consumers now stands at over 31 million.

"The sales trend on both Wii and Nintendo DS, hardware and software during 2008 shows that more and more people in Europe are enjoying video games as part of their daily lives," said Laurent Fischer, Managing Director, Marketing & PR, Nintendo of Europe. "This proves that Nintendo's wish to expand the gaming population has strong potential in Europe."

Link

Around the Network

Hmmm, VGC has about 15 million and 33 million for Wii and DS.

I can only assume only certain parts of "other Europe" are included.... likely just Benelux which I think makes up about half of "other Europe" last time brett mentioned it.

Or this is just countries Nintendo supply to directly (I think Norway has a 3rd person supplier for Wii)

Perhaps Russia is counted as Europe by VGChartz but not by these guys

Well I can't remember exactly, but Nintendo supplies directly to most of the major Western countries (UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands [and probably Luxembourg] Switzerland, Austria)

Then some I am unsure about are Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Greece.

And the rest I am almost certain Nintendo doesn't supply to, but would be classed as "other" to them.

----

So actually, if you go to the by region breakdown (for week ending 3rd Jan) the total ignoring both Scandanavia and "other Europe is ~12,760k

Then adding in about 2/3rds of "other Europe" brings it up to about 13,700k .... just 400k short of what Nintendo has. (which means this doesn't include Scandanavia or Portugal or Eastern Europe)

----

Doing the same for DS gives ~28,150k for everything minus other Eu and Scandanavia.... then add in 2/3rds of other Eu and it comes to about 30,350k... or 650k short of Nintendo's total.

So yes, this is pretty good if I am correct.

Uhh, why are you guys seeking for awkward excuses of why the numbers here are far off? For example the DS is now at 950k in Scandinavia (at the end of 08) and VGchartz has it at 2,1 million. It's crystal clear that both systems are overtracked, no need for weird explanations.

If anybody is interested, here are the latest Scandinavian figures:

2008:
Wii - 300,000
DS - 349,000

LTD:
Wii - 530,000
DS - 950,000

Around the Network

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2818

Others contains a lot of other countries like Australia and Korea which are pretty decent size markets.

you guys remember this? It was released with nintendo's financial statement.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340761

the numbers were lower than vgchartz even if we only looked at europe because it only only included the main countries. I think we need to wait until we get confirmation abou what countries are included.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Yes, the financial reports are a far better measure, since we have past results to compare.

And where did those figures come from?

Norway is around 125k for the Wii, but Norway has the lowest population of the 4 major Scandanavian countries.... it is in between 1/5th and 1/6th in terms of population, but I would have thought Denmark and Sweden also buy more consoles per person too. (especially given the early supply issues are sorted out in the larger countries first

I know it isn't an accurate way to do it, but it seems odd that the whole of Scandanavia has sold fewer than 5-6 times that of Norway (625-750k).

Even worse for the DS... which is roughly 260k in Norway, but for some reason according to you, not even 4X that for the whole of Scandanavia?

----

I would rather wait for BKK2 to give figures, because I think you may have missed out 1 of the Scandanavian countries with those figures.

TWRoO said:
And where did those figures come from?

Norway is around 125k for the Wii, but Norway has the lowest population of the 4 major Scandanavian countries.... it is in between 1/5th and 1/6th in terms of population, but I would have thought Denmark and Sweden also buy more consoles per person too. (especially given the early supply issues are sorted out in the larger countries first

I know it isn't an accurate way to do it, but it seems odd that the whole of Scandanavia has sold fewer than 5-6 times that of Norway (625-750k).

Even worse for the DS... which is roughly 260k in Norway, but for some reason according to you, not even 4X that for the whole of Scandanavia?

----

I would rather wait for BKK2 to give figures, because I think you may have missed out 1 of the Scandanavian countries with those figures.

yes, you are right. Finland isn't included, but that country is one of the few that is still not Nintendo-friendly as the Wii is in last place and the DS is not selling that well too. But with Finland the figures should be a bit higher, maybe 1,1 million for the DS and 600k for the Wii. The figures above btw are from Bergsala, the distributor of Nintendo Systems over there.