By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forbes: Sony is Screwed...Is this article accurate?

feico865 said:

I agree a little with those who said all this is flaming against Sony. Just because it is not an economic website. Anyway is good to discuss this things to know about the future of the companies that offer digital entretainment, just don't make doom predictions without foundations. (I'm not attacking anyone just an advice)

What are you saying ? If the study of (video-game) sales in not economy, what is it ?

Around the Network

Times are hard...but they are only going to get harder in the coming weeks and months. Sony will go deeper into the red when they cut prices on the ps3, and unless they get a serious sales bump, things will get VERY interesting.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

seece said:
Snake said:
so what? this is their first maybe second year where they lost money. Microsoft lost 6 billion on entire Xbox family but you didn't see that on vgchartz. I am not trying to defend Sony here i am just saying Sony its not screwed if it had two bad years. every company in the world has some bad period. When Game Cube was dying did anybody told Nintendo is dead? i think they did, and look at Nintendo now. They are definitivly winning this generation. Some people( (4 actually)on this we site are acting like they were waiting Sony to lose money for their entire life.OMG Sony is losing money!!!!!!!

Note: the last sentence describes only those 4 people

You know nothing.

A) its not the fact they have lost money, its the huge amount.

B) Microsoft were ripped to pieces on losing that money, but you didn't see it on VGChartz because VGCHARtz is barely 2 years old (or around that?)

C) Eh? Yes a lot of companys are screwed right now.

D) Nintendo made a profit on the Gamecube, it went out the gate profitable, the PS3 is the complete opposite, its still bleeding money. Not only that but Nintendo is only focused on gaming, this money loss is across all of Sonys divisions.

1.No i didn't know vgchartz is only 2 years old.

2.why would I care if THEY were losing money on music products or TV or multimedia products. I am talking about gaming products.

3.''Not only that but Nintendo is only focused on gaming, this money loss is across all of Sonys divisions''

Great since Microsoft is doing great on Vista and microsoft surface.

Actually vgchartz has existed for 2.5 years. And yes, there was a lot of bashing when the $1 billion RROD charge hit MS.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

largedarryl said:
Snake said:
so what? this is their first maybe second year where they lost money. Microsoft lost 6 billion on entire Xbox family but you didn't see that on vgchartz. I am not trying to defend Sony here i am just saying Sony its not screwed if it had two bad years. every company in the world has some bad period. When Game Cube was dying did anybody told Nintendo is dead? i think they did, and look at Nintendo now. They are definitivly winning this generation. Some people( (4 actually)on this we site are acting like they were waiting Sony to lose money for their entire life.OMG Sony is losing money!!!!!!!

Comparing Nintendo during the gamecube era vs Sony during the current economic crysis is not similar.  Nintendo never posted an operating loss during those time, coupled with Nintendo meeting their profit estimates is not similar to Sony not meeting profit estimates for nearly a decade, followed by financial outlook that will put Sony way into the red.

over a decade? i thought PS1 PS2 and PSP were/are successful

Over a d

Around the Network
Snake said:
largedarryl said:
Snake said:

Comparing Nintendo during the gamecube era vs Sony during the current economic crysis is not similar.  Nintendo never posted an operating loss during those time, coupled with Nintendo meeting their profit estimates is not similar to Sony not meeting profit estimates for nearly a decade, followed by financial outlook that will put Sony way into the red.

over a decade? i thought PS1 PS2 and PSP were/are successful

Over a d

Did you even read the article?

seriously how many threads do we need on the same topic?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Man that is some serious shit. I never really paid attention to the whole "sony is doomed threads" I knew they were in trouble but had no idea the financial dire straits the company is in. They are bleeding money in every single sector, you cannot survive like that especially in a global recession, which begins to look more and more like a global depression.

And people are expecting a ps3 price cut??

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I think the first line of the article is a great summary "Trifecta of a demand slump, strong yen and fierce competition makes it likely that Sony will post its first-ever yearly operating loss."

Unless something changes about the listed trifecta, Sony is going to post additional losses.

Passenger57 said:
Snake said:

Actually this bad news has more to do with Sony as a whole company, not their videogame sector. This is obviously much more serious than you are fathoming. This is not bash Sony, this is real trouble not fanboy videogame sales bashing.

This is all true, however one should expect MS to start a whisper campaign implying Sony is going to drop the PS3 any day now if it hasn't already. This is one of their favorite strategies. The Lotus guys at IBM hate it as MS has successfully been using it against them for more than a decade now.