By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will TV type have effect on what console people buy?

I think generally each will influence the other, someone with a HDTV will want something to show it off, and would be more likely to buy a 360 on impulse and vice versa, someone with a 360 already will want to play it in HD.

I bought a HDTV earlier this year and must admit i do find the PS3 more attractive now, but not enough to buy one with its current line up.

Around the Network

@bdbdbd
Yeah I know, also being poor you have a lot more time to do sometting like watch TV. Not too mention a little something called the EITC that gives poor people $2-4,000 in February. More than enough for a plasma TV. Richer people are generally too busy with work and family and such to think spending over $1000 to get higher TV resolution is worth it.

kn said:
scorptile said:
ive seen many many people have widescreen tv's but they are NOT HDtv's by any means. that poll didnt say if the widescreens meant hd's or not so i think hd tvs are not that many in homes with wii. id say maybe 1 out of 20 people has an HDTV. but to play the wii i bet close to 90% use a normal tv for the wii.

Somwhere I read in industry article on HD penetration into U.S. homes.  It said about 20ish percent of U.S. homes had at least 1HD set and expected it to surpass the 30% mark this holiday.  Interestinly, the article talked about an unknown variable in those numbers and that is how many people are buying LCD/Plasma screens for their size and ability to be place in more convenient locations rather than for the HD experience.  I'll try to find the article...

well i just dont see many people being able to afford HDtv's but i have seen widescreens that hhas been around since the 80's. and i still think that HDTV's are just a replacement for those old widescreen tv's. as for they are not droping in price like analysts had said 3 years ago. i know i have NO intension on buying one till i can find an HDtv for under 250 and i know lots of people like me. we have what is called a family with kids.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

Sqrl said:
I know some of you made this distinction but others might miss it, so I wanted to point it out for the sake of clarity.

This poll shows:
- Percentage of Wii owners who use the Wii Vote channel and have Widescreen TV(s)
- Percentage of Wii owners who use the Wii Vote channel and do not have Widescreen TV(s)

This poll does not show:
- How many wii owners have HD capable TVs
- Current HDTV adoption rate of Wii owners
- Current HDTV adoption rate of the general public

In summary it should not be too surprising that people who are into technology and gaming are more apt to have nicer TVs etc...So it should also not be surprising that amongst a demographic with interests in technology we would see a higher HDTV adoption rate than the general public.

PS - This wasn't addressed at anyone specifically, I just wanted to point it out before someone tried to connect dots that aren't there.

Just to piggyback on this, you can also view the poll results by country, and although you can't get exact percentages, the ratio in the U.S. looked something like 65% standard, 35% widescreen.  European respondents, especially in the U.K., were more likely to have widescreen TVs.

Numbers never lie, but you sure as hell can get the wrong impression if you don't know exactly what the numbers mean. 

i dont think the tv type determines what console people will buy considering most consumers are uneducated what they bought. All they know is they bought a nice big think tv they can put on the wall in their living room.

Around the Network

@Entroper: How can you view results by region? I may have not been familiar enough with viewing the statistics. Not have been so interested in it yet. :)

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.