By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox not Dead?

Are they still making games for any of these three consoles? Are the Xbox and Gamecube officially dead? I know the Dreamcast had official titles announced for it even in 2007 so whether that console is dead is of much controversy as well.

Furthermore, how many titles (games) did each console have over the course of its whole life? (all three regions included)

I'm very curious about this and don't feel terribly comfortable in trusting Wikipedia's dubious lists. If no one is aware of what the official game tally for each console is then perhaps you know a credible place I can find such information?

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

Around the Network

No, they're not making any new big titles for them. Look at the pie charts - some regions are like 700 units a week for either.

And it'll be very hard to find complete lists because of all the forgotten games that didn't make it to stores or something. Use Wikipedia's lists as a minimum number, but because of commercial failures, semi-homebrew, re-releases, etc. there was far more.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

homebrews and cancelled games will never be counted, that's just common sense.

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

- Unknown

- Sony Fandom

I didn't mean canceled, I meant not widely available: limited edition, pulled early, competitions, published but went out of business, only appeared in one store or something.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

I think that would be more of a dillemma for early gen consoles.

- John Lucas

- Reggie Fils-Aime

- Unknown

- Sony Fandom

Around the Network

Madden 08, from all initial reports, sold out on Xbox and has done tremendously well. It could wind up selling ~100,000 copies.

Not only this, according to a recent statement from Neilsen ratings, Xbox is still played about twice or more often in the US vs. the Xbox 360.

Hardware wise, the Xbox is pretty much beyond DOA. MS stopped the factories in August 2005 and never made another unit - despite the fact that the Xbox was still selling really well (if your wondering, had MS of kept Gamecube-like shipments up, the Xbox probably would of sold another 1-3m units if not more).

The GC is almost dead - it's still selling hardware in various regions in the thousands per week. Software wise, I haven't seen much available. Nevertheless, I assume that there are still going to be a few titles made in the future.

The Dreamcast - there are still a few hombrew and other games being released. A Dreamcast game released earlier this year in Japan to 10k+ first week sales. Not only this, Sega announced last year, that due to high demand, they would be re-releasing the Dreamcast and selling the refurbished Dreamcasts because there was still a good bit of demand. Of course, these units are not counted.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Let's remember that the perceived lack of last gen games on this sites charts might be a result of a lot of old games not being in the database yet. It's hard enough for poor ioi to keep track of the many of games being released all the time without going through the zillions of games that got released last gen.

Im sure EA will be the last to stop producing games on either format, they released their sports games on the PS1 to the bitter end. There was Radilogy / radio alergy (a shoot em up) due for the GC which was set to tbe the first (and probably last) Gc game to bear a sticker saying "also playable on the wii", but it looks like thats been shelved as it was due in june i think.

The Gc and the Xbox seem to have died rather abruptly, both partly due to Sonys dominence and the fact that MS and Nintendo had bigger projets to push, since their last was pretty much a failure.

I personally think the title is a bit misleading, as in suggests that they are not, when I think the only one of which more consoles is being made is the GC I think?

Also, the current support is nothing compared to the PS2 (their main rirval last-gen, which still has fairly large support and sales), so in comparison to that, they are nothing but "dead".

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

re-released dreamcasts?... imagine if next gen Sega came back into the hardware fray, it's s bit dull with only 3 companies [i know it won't happen but it would be pretty cool.]