By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - It's too easy to get banned on VG Chartz

In my opinion it is far too easy to get banned on VG Chartz for minor offences and too easy to get banned for a long time for more serious offences.

I know that freedom of speech is quite limited even on the internet, but I can't really compare VGC to other gaming websites because I don't visit any one other than occasionally.

A few examples of very unfair bans IMO, so you get an idea what my critisicm is about:

1. kirby007 - 3 week ban:

VG Charts Obsessive
Created: 31st Jan 07
Last login: 1st Jan 09
Profile views: 46,476
Forum posts: 9,426
Posts / Day: 13.45

Reason for ban: Trolling ("lulz thats why i only trust vgc with salesnumbers, and not reviewing games lmao") ~ DKII

Thread: the comment section for a game review on the front page (probably)

2. CrazzyMan - 3 month ban:

*Banned*
Expires: 4th Apr 09
VG Charts Pro
Created: 3rd Feb 07
Last login: 4th Jan 09
Profile views: 18,912
Forum posts: 2,593
Posts / Day: 3.70

Reason for ban: Other (Trolling/Other - Just because you don't like the thread topic doesn't mean you get to pose a new one. You've had far too many chances to cut this type of trolling out of your posts as it is, so when you get back understand that ANY more infractions will be your last.) ~ Sqrl

Thread: Sales: What will be the maximum and minimum PS3->360 gap in 2009the maximum and minimum PS3->360 gap in 2009

(CrazzyMan:) "By how much 299$/€ costing 80Gb PS3 will outsell x360 ???
For 1st week?
For 1st month?
For first half a year?
Is that even predictable? =)

EDIT: ok, then i guess, maximum: 2 mln. in x360 favour and minimum: 4 mln. in PS3 favour."

3. starcraft - 1 month ban:

*Banned*
Expires: 10th Feb 09
Contributor
VG Charts Obsessive

Created: 17th Jun 07
Last login: 12th Jan 09
Profile views: 16,617
Forum posts: 7,801
Posts / Day: 13.57
Reason for ban: Trolling ~ DKII

Thread: Sony discussion > Sony:PS3 Might Go 3D in 2010
(Starcraft:)
"Why are they going backwards?

They were in 4D not long ago weren't they?"

4. I forgot his nick name (sounds like Dionysus sort of) - he is a rabid Sony fan who always criticise VG Charts sales numbers - but I recall him getting a rufly 3 week ban recently for a quite minor questioning of some sales numbers. My point in this case is that VG Chartz in my opinion is (/should be) mature and powerful enough to withstand open chriticism of the accuracy of the sales numbers presented on the site, instead of silencing chritics with censorship.

All this banning is hurting this site (in addition to the individuals being locked out of the discussion of course, which is my main concern). It looks stupid with the red "banned" label beside a member in nearly every other thread you visit on VGC. It also irritates me that members I may want to interact with, or read posts from, suddenly are blocked out for weeks or more. 

Around the Network

Starcraft was banned for that.

Kirby is more banned than unbanned anyway I wonder if he mind though....Some of his alt account are passing the 1.000 posts =p.

Jobs-worth mods getting power hungry. Happens to a lot of forums.

Hmm..i agree that the Starcraft ban is unfair...even for getting banned in the first place, let alone 1 month

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

You guys....seriously...all three of those accounts were repeat offenders. They weren't banned for a single action but for a lifestyle of trolling.

i don't see the problem, those members are well known for their fanboy BS, some people actually want to have a decent discussion sometimes. I've been on this site for over a year and a half with over 2,500 posts i haven't even been warned yet, much less banned.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

^agreed, but you do have a point

sometime i think the mods just don't get a joke or a use of sarcasm and get happy with the ban button

I've made 600 posts and I've never been banned, just 1 warning. Trust me, Gamespot is much worse, you virtually get modded for making spelling errors.

I agree with u
I got banned cuz I said my sexual preferences
Unfair indeed

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad