By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo 3: ODST, The Counduit or Killzone 2?

BTFeather55 said:
Solid_Raiden said:
BTFeather55 said:
Solid_Raiden said:
Voltaire said:
Solid_Raiden said:

What's funny to me is how the wii fans point to Halo and scream mediocrity and then in the same breath praise the Conduit when if anything it is basically a halo clone with wii remote. The question comes up then if the wii mote alone makes a good game. And personally, I don't. I believe the wii remote works the best with the genre but it doesn't make an already mediocre game not mediocre (case in point, red steel). Personally, I'm hyping the conduit but at the same time I realise that it very well may be a mediocre title. Other then the wii mote it doesn't really add much new gameplay wise. You speak about unique weapons? I didn't hear you crying out how amazing R2 was for it's unique weapons. Those weapons were unique and never done before and didn't rely on a controller in order to be so. Just imagination. You people criticize one thing and praise another of the same type which is ironic. By the way, what was said (by me) about K2 having a unique cover system isn't that you can lean out and peak but that it never leaves first person view. All other games with a cover system switch to third person when you take cover. There hasn't been a game to my knowledge with a cover system like K2's. But that's not the point I was trying to make. I don't care what game you like better and why. I was just pointing out that it's very fanboyish and stupid to claim one of these game's is better because it's doing newer things when K2 is bringing new things to the table other then wii mote controls and we have no info at all for Halo: ODST so how could you possibly know what it will be bringing to the table? It could be the most revolutionary unique shooter of all time and you wouldn't know.

I will ask you one question: Have you played the so-called best controlling Wii FPS - Medal of Honor Heroes 2?

Ill go with no. That game is as generic as it gets, all the weapons are lame and done better and more original before. The levels are simple and linear, nothing about theh single player is noteworthy, and the online is simply 32 players in DM,TDM, and CTF. So why is this game any good? Because of how it controls. Oh, and MoHH2 had a 1st person cover system, in which tiliting the controller leaned you in and out of cover.

If your going to say Wii FPS aren good, useing Red Steel as your proof isnt going to help. It was a rushed launch title. Metroid Prime 3 topped it control wise, CoD topped THAT control wise, and MoH beat them all.

The weapons arent unique in themselves, but in what they can do. HOW you control them is what sets them apart.

You could really give a crap less for trying to comprehend what you read from my posts do you? I didn't say that FPS controls bad on wii. In fact I stated in that post that FPS work the best with the Wii mote. What I did say was that good controls wouldn't be able to save a mediocre title in my opinion. I didn't say that the controls couldn't save a game as a fact. I asked the question and then answered my own question for reference. Imo the controls alone can't save a mediocre title if indeed The Conduit turns out mediocre. But if you find Halo mediocre it should be hard I think to find The Conduit which isn't far from a copy of that game, mediocre too. I find Halo mediocre, so I said I will hype this game but know in the back of my head that I might find it mediocre apone release. Furthermore, my posts haven't been to argue which game is better, we all have opinions and I wouldn't dare belittle someone's opinion. Instead, my posts are to point out fanboish comments that belittle the other titles for no reason. It's plain fanboyish to say The Conduit is the only one bringing anything new to the table. From what I've seen, it has unique weapons (so did Resistance 1 and 2 but that didn't stop people from calling those games mediocre left and right, and to suggest that unoriginal guns that handle differently are directly better then entirely unique guns is imo just idiotic. Now if you would suggest both are unique in there own way and those games benefit from them I could agree. But your being selective about what kind of unique is better based on your system of choice.) and wii controls which have been done before even if not this well (which is remained to be seen). We do know that K2 is bringing something new to the table in a unique cover system and unique motion controls for the ps3 at least. And we have NO real info on Halo: ODST.

I highly doubt that there are going to be vehicles as cool as warthogs, scorpions, banshees, and ghosts to control in The Conduit.  Or that there will be any creatures in the game that are as dark as The Flood.

You don't know what vehicles will be in the game. Even if it didn't have vehicles in it at all it could be an increadible game. I don't see how that would change anything. And if they wanted enemies like the flood I guess all they'd have to do is rip off the head crabs from Half Life like Halo did. Is there a point to your post?

Well, if you're too dense to get meaning from just what the surface says, yes, there is a point because i think that the more things there are to do in a game then the deeper the gameplay tends to be, and if The Conduit or Killzone 2 don't have as many gameplay options or as many things to do in them, then in my opinion from a gameplay perspective that means they're actually taking steps back and not measuring up. 

Hopefully you wouldn't call the vehicle sections in Gears 2 "going forward" so would you call that game regressing? Or what exactly are your opinions on that subject?

PS3 Trophies

Around the Network

The Conduit.

Then it becomes a matter of aesthetics as far as characters go. I've always found the Covenant to be plausible and aesthetically pleasing as Cylon Centurion or Klingon type characters ie. the race that humanity meets during the outward expansion into the galaxy while they are leaving this world behind and that come into an unexpected war against. However, I feel that the Helghast are far less believable and much less iconic than the creatures that make up The Covenant as think that actual soliders from Hell would tend to be more like Clive Barker's vision of cenobites instead of the painting of Darth Vader that is in the Denver International Airport.

I've heard that the creatures that make up the enemy in The Conduit fall into the alien conspiracy type opponents that might be something like the nemesis in the Area - 51 games, so I think they will probably end up being more believable than the Helghast but not as believable as The Covenant.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Voltaire said:

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Atleast Halo and Killzone have their own distinct universes. Art direction in the Conduit is basically non existent. You run around dull corridors fighting stupid looking bug things.
The Helghast and the Combine, their worlds, their design, their weapons and their story are far more interesting. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

Wait, your insulting an unreleased games story and general gameplay? the game wont be released for severla months, how the hell do we know anything about the story! What i know about it would fill less than a 3-sentance paragraph.

What? Read it again FFS. I said the setting and premise of The Conduit is boring and generic and I have no interest in the story because of this.

What is the setting and premise of the Conduit? All i know is it takes place on earth and deals with alien invasion.

as far as i know, thats all of the story that is public knowledge.

And isnt that the same setting/premise of resistance and its sequel... which you own?

F@ck Ubisoft and their commitment to Wii shovelware.

Although I hope The Conduit will be as good as some have built it up to be, without having played any of these games, I think that Halo 3: ODST is the obvious pick here, based on the quality and reputation of its developer.

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of modern FPS's anyway.

Around the Network

i dont know maybe im just crazy but these conduit pics im looking at do not look very interesting and excitement inducing

I find it amusing that fanboys of all types are using this thread as an excuse to bash the other choices.  It just asked what you are most anticipated in, so quit overhyping/hating on the games

Anyways, a close one between Halo, and the Conduit, but since good Wii FPS's actually kickass, I'm going with the Conduit! :D.  Although Killzone 2 looks very promising, I highly doubt it will "shift the tide of this generation" as some people have insinuated.  I will probably buy them all.

BTFeather55 said:
Then it becomes a matter of aesthetics as far as characters go. I've always found the Covenant to be plausible and aesthetically pleasing as Cylon Centurion or Klingon type characters ie. the race that humanity meets during the outward expansion into the galaxy while they are leaving this world behind and that come into an unexpected war against. However, I feel that the Helghast are far less believable and much less iconic than the creatures that make up The Covenant as think that actual soliders from Hell would tend to be more like Clive Barker's vision of cenobites instead of the painting of Darth Vader that is in the Denver International Airport.

I've heard that the creatures that make up the enemy in The Conduit fall into the alien conspiracy type opponents that might be something like the nemesis in the Area - 51 games, so I think they will probably end up being more believable than the Helghast but not as believable as The Covenant.

Did you just compare aliens to the covenant as being more "realistic" then aliens of a more human nature such as in Killzone 2. So you believe Star Trek aliens are more "realistic" then the thought that if alien race is indeed out there it might actually look like us but on another planet? ........Well, lets just say we have a difference in opinion. Aliens are science fiction as far as we know. To say one is "realistic" is....well fairly unrealistic. Even if there were alien life, to think that we had created an image in their likeness, is beyond doubtful. You really think if we found alien life in the universe they would be klingons?

PS3 Trophies

Solid_Raiden said:
BTFeather55 said:
Solid_Raiden said:
BTFeather55 said:
Solid_Raiden said:
Voltaire said:
Solid_Raiden said:

What's funny to me is how the wii fans point to Halo and scream mediocrity and then in the same breath praise the Conduit when if anything it is basically a halo clone with wii remote. The question comes up then if the wii mote alone makes a good game. And personally, I don't. I believe the wii remote works the best with the genre but it doesn't make an already mediocre game not mediocre (case in point, red steel). Personally, I'm hyping the conduit but at the same time I realise that it very well may be a mediocre title. Other then the wii mote it doesn't really add much new gameplay wise. You speak about unique weapons? I didn't hear you crying out how amazing R2 was for it's unique weapons. Those weapons were unique and never done before and didn't rely on a controller in order to be so. Just imagination. You people criticize one thing and praise another of the same type which is ironic. By the way, what was said (by me) about K2 having a unique cover system isn't that you can lean out and peak but that it never leaves first person view. All other games with a cover system switch to third person when you take cover. There hasn't been a game to my knowledge with a cover system like K2's. But that's not the point I was trying to make. I don't care what game you like better and why. I was just pointing out that it's very fanboyish and stupid to claim one of these game's is better because it's doing newer things when K2 is bringing new things to the table other then wii mote controls and we have no info at all for Halo: ODST so how could you possibly know what it will be bringing to the table? It could be the most revolutionary unique shooter of all time and you wouldn't know.

I will ask you one question: Have you played the so-called best controlling Wii FPS - Medal of Honor Heroes 2?

Ill go with no. That game is as generic as it gets, all the weapons are lame and done better and more original before. The levels are simple and linear, nothing about theh single player is noteworthy, and the online is simply 32 players in DM,TDM, and CTF. So why is this game any good? Because of how it controls. Oh, and MoHH2 had a 1st person cover system, in which tiliting the controller leaned you in and out of cover.

If your going to say Wii FPS aren good, useing Red Steel as your proof isnt going to help. It was a rushed launch title. Metroid Prime 3 topped it control wise, CoD topped THAT control wise, and MoH beat them all.

The weapons arent unique in themselves, but in what they can do. HOW you control them is what sets them apart.

You could really give a crap less for trying to comprehend what you read from my posts do you? I didn't say that FPS controls bad on wii. In fact I stated in that post that FPS work the best with the Wii mote. What I did say was that good controls wouldn't be able to save a mediocre title in my opinion. I didn't say that the controls couldn't save a game as a fact. I asked the question and then answered my own question for reference. Imo the controls alone can't save a mediocre title if indeed The Conduit turns out mediocre. But if you find Halo mediocre it should be hard I think to find The Conduit which isn't far from a copy of that game, mediocre too. I find Halo mediocre, so I said I will hype this game but know in the back of my head that I might find it mediocre apone release. Furthermore, my posts haven't been to argue which game is better, we all have opinions and I wouldn't dare belittle someone's opinion. Instead, my posts are to point out fanboish comments that belittle the other titles for no reason. It's plain fanboyish to say The Conduit is the only one bringing anything new to the table. From what I've seen, it has unique weapons (so did Resistance 1 and 2 but that didn't stop people from calling those games mediocre left and right, and to suggest that unoriginal guns that handle differently are directly better then entirely unique guns is imo just idiotic. Now if you would suggest both are unique in there own way and those games benefit from them I could agree. But your being selective about what kind of unique is better based on your system of choice.) and wii controls which have been done before even if not this well (which is remained to be seen). We do know that K2 is bringing something new to the table in a unique cover system and unique motion controls for the ps3 at least. And we have NO real info on Halo: ODST.

I highly doubt that there are going to be vehicles as cool as warthogs, scorpions, banshees, and ghosts to control in The Conduit.  Or that there will be any creatures in the game that are as dark as The Flood.

You don't know what vehicles will be in the game. Even if it didn't have vehicles in it at all it could be an increadible game. I don't see how that would change anything. And if they wanted enemies like the flood I guess all they'd have to do is rip off the head crabs from Half Life like Halo did. Is there a point to your post?

Well, if you're too dense to get meaning from just what the surface says, yes, there is a point because i think that the more things there are to do in a game then the deeper the gameplay tends to be, and if The Conduit or Killzone 2 don't have as many gameplay options or as many things to do in them, then in my opinion from a gameplay perspective that means they're actually taking steps back and not measuring up. 

Hopefully you wouldn't call the vehicle sections in Gears 2 "going forward" so would you call that game regressing? Or what exactly are your opinions on that subject?

I haven't played Gears 2.  I would say that the Junker scene in Gears I is very limited in comparison to what you can do with the Warthog in Halo I.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

exnoctem said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Voltaire said:

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Atleast Halo and Killzone have their own distinct universes. Art direction in the Conduit is basically non existent. You run around dull corridors fighting stupid looking bug things.
The Helghast and the Combine, their worlds, their design, their weapons and their story are far more interesting. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

Wait, your insulting an unreleased games story and general gameplay? the game wont be released for severla months, how the hell do we know anything about the story! What i know about it would fill less than a 3-sentance paragraph.

What? Read it again FFS. I said the setting and premise of The Conduit is boring and generic and I have no interest in the story because of this.

What is the setting and premise of the Conduit? All i know is it takes place on earth and deals with alien invasion.

as far as i know, thats all of the story that is public knowledge.

And isnt that the same setting/premise of resistance and its sequel... which you own?

With The Conduit, I think it's something like a government conspiracy and Ford is some kind of secret agent. Looking at the screens/videos, their doesn't seem to be much effort put into the environments, enemy design or art direction. in general it all looks pretty dull and uninteresting.

And if you'd been playing attention to my posts, you'd know that I hate both Resistance games for pretty much the same reasons I'm not excited for The Conduit :P