By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Informer gives BioShock 10/10 and 10/10

You know I am going to break with the pack here. I will say that Bioshock will see a minimum of twice the sales we will see with MP3. I see MP3 selling roughly half a million units this year. I see Bioshock selling roughly a million units this year. Past this year it becomes a issue of market dominance. However in the near term the next six months I see Bioshock coming out on top.

I am ignoring the hype behind these titles, and simply surmise they are both very good games. Games on equal footing in regards to quality. The difference is the player base. Which lets be blunt a FPS on the 360 has a very receptive audience. While on the Wii the audience seems to be less enthusiastic.

The Wii has struggled to move many of the more mature games. Resident Evil 4 has sold less then half a million units. Likewise with Scarface, and Godfather. Red Steel just broke a million units sold, and that was a launch title. Given these numbers it is hard to imagine a mature complex FPS/adventure game doing many times better. The Wii player was starved of mature games and that did not move those titles. Some of them did not even break a hundred thousand units. Even though the Wii has a comparable player base in volume.

Then you have the 360 with games like Gears of War which has moved over four and a half million units. Halo 2 moved over eight million units. The CoD series moved over a million units. Splinter Cell has moved well over a million units. I am expecting Bioshock to at the very least be on par with the last two franchises. Look at how they faired on the Wii.

Given how the Wii audience has treated mature and shooter style games. I have to ask the serious question does the general audience actually want MP3. Have they really wanted anything like it up until now. Look at what sells really well on the Wii the only exception to the list is Twilight Princess. That was a launch title as well. So that was a given seller.

I am very concerned by the buying patterns that the Wii market has presented. Hell I am outright disturbed. The fact that Bioshock is racking up perfect scores assures that it will sell at the very least a million. Perhaps over two or even three million copies in the lifetime.

The Wii consumer has shocked my all year long. Mario Party 8 is murdering all the mature rated games combined. I am going to take the hint. The Wii consumer generally does not want games like this. I find it hard to believe they have been holding out for eight months. Stand back and prepare to be shocked. They are going to stand firm, go out and buy boogie, or another mini game collection.

Around the Network

Bioshock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously Bioshock is one on my most anticipated games this year. I highly recommend anyone play system shock 2 beofre you play this instant classic Bioshock.

It must be a great game .I guess I will have to play it in my PC .The issue is that I dont like very much the FPS genre ,do you people think I will enjoy it even considering this ?

Dodece said:
You know I am going to break with the pack here. I will say that Bioshock will see a minimum of twice the sales we will see with MP3. I see MP3 selling roughly half a million units this year. I see Bioshock selling roughly a million units this year. Past this year it becomes a issue of market dominance. However in the near term the next six months I see Bioshock coming out on top.

You know you're crazy right?  MP3 is likely to sell close to that the first week or two.

Now comparing MP3 and Bioshock, meh, I'll wait until I get chance to play both before I start making any comments on that. 

Diomedes1976 said:
It must be a great game .I guess I will have to play it in my PC .The issue is that I dont like very much the FPS genre ,do you people think I will enjoy it even considering this ?

You might, but I doubt it; it's a really cool game but it's still an FPS nonetheless.  you'll probably be entertained by the atmosphere and all that fun stuff for an hour-ish and then quickly get fed up because it is just an FPS (don't take offense to this Bioshock fans, it is what it is).  That all being said, none of us can tell you if you would like it.  There's supposed to be a PC demo sometime soon so you can decide for yourself.

Around the Network

I cannot stand when people generalize everyone who owns a Wii by saying "They don't want that kinda game"

WTF

First of you cannot compare sales of Scarface and Godfather with games like Splinter Cell and CoD.

One of the main reasons Scarface and Godfather have not sold many units is because they are ports on much popular systems and gave people very little incentive to go and re-buy the games. Most people that wanted the game from the beginning already had bought it, so the publishers were obviously trying to cash in on Wii by half assing ports to make up for there early lack of commitment.

Resident Evil 4 is selling better than even Capcom expected even though the game was released on the GameCube, Playstation 2, and PC....... How many units do you expect a game on that many platforms to sell.......Jeesh

I am a Wii owner and I can't wait for Metroid or other "complex games that Wii owners don't want" like No More Heroes. A large part of Wii games out now are ports of older games or multiplatform games, some that are doing better on Wii than 360/PS3.

Most people that I know that have a 360 don't even know what a Bioshock is or what the game is about/ what kinda game it is.

Metroid is highly revered and is launching on a console with all the hype in the world and a user base that is very much so ready for a AAA title. That fact that it is a first party Nintendo game makes it an even better choice for consumers cause they all know what they are getting when they buy the game.

Bioshock is also facing WAY more competition on 360 than Metroid is on Wii.

Sure the reviews for Bioshock are phenomenol, but so were reviews for great games that should have sold millions like Beyond Good or Evil, or countless other critcally acclaimed games (Viewtiful Joe, Okami)

Hands down Metroid will sell much better than Bioshock and get way more attention for the innovations it will make in future Wii shooter controls and for graphically doing what it does on the Wii.

I just wish that Bioshock would have come out during the summer drought of either this year or next year, so that it can get the attention that it obviously deserves......

Another review is in, I'll keep adding them to the original comment, at least until I get bored...

Console Gameworld: 99%

"Final Verdict
The must have title of 2007? It could very well be."

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

I liked the demo, bit iffy on the controls, but it otherwise feels like a sequel to Deus Ex, which was an awesome, awesome game.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

I never said I wouldn't play the demo - just the full game.

Honestly? I have atleast 6 RPGs I need to beat this year (pretty much every one I'm buying day 1). I'm not a big fan of the single player shooter genre. Since playing Gears and EDF 2017, I've decided like I did during Xbox 1 that the FPS genre was just too dull for me.

However, I will DL the demo. I'm just saying, by the time I actually have a chance to buy or play the full game it'll be past my radar and I'll be looking for something else instead.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The crazy have a funny habit of becoming clairvoyant. The Wii has a funny habit of defying expectations. Most everyone said the console would not do well. Most everyone said the lack of stellar graphics would kill it. Most everyone said that games like Mario Party, and Red Steel were bad games. So they immediately sold over a million copies. A ported game is the top seller on the system ignoring Wii play, and Wii sports.

That said I will not take anything for granted, or use past experience with Nintendo systems as a guide post. Which everyone seems to be doing. The Wii took a chainsaw to those months ago. I have no clue why the customer base behaves like it does, and I think it will be awhile before any of us does. What I do know is they have avoided the mature themed and shooter genre like it is some kind of plague.

The console is a veritable wasteland when it comes to shooters, and mature themed games. A starving man should be willing to eat just about anything, and he would be damned thankful. Yet on the Wii the meager pickings are ignored. I could not go that long without a shooter or a mature game. I bought Scarface and Godfather. I needed something to fend off boredom. I even bought Red Steel. So what exactly is keeping these people away from these games. The only rational explanation is that they are not popular with the majority of owners.

I am just being judicious, and my prediction is in line with past performance. After all MP2 sold around 1.25 million units. The original sold around 3 million. They also did that on the Gamecube with its week library, and double the install base. Finally I have pointed out that the genre has underperformed on the Wii. I must be a lunatic I am not buying into the hype.