By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii sales dropping down in US. Why?

homelesscarl said:
It makes it the "Hot thing" For the hollidays.

Actually everyone here keeps talking about supply constraint... If you believe this item is hot there is no need to make it hot... Also if I was a big fish in big N. world I'd try to sell Wii as fast as possible. Holidays or not.

Around the Network

Some stores were stockpiled for Madden, so we might see a bost next week. Meijer has the wii on the front page of one of their sales flyer, along with buy madden and get $10 coupon off next video game, with 3000 wiis available this week chain wide. (It's only 170 stores, sort of like Walmart, but not national).

I have no idea how much more (if any) 3000 is compared to how much they typically have every week.

kber81 said:
homelesscarl said:

Actually everyone here keeps talking about supply constraint... If you believe this item is hot there is no need to make it hot... Also if I was a big fish in big N. world I'd try to sell Wii as fast as possible. Holidays or not.

Part of stockpiling is to steel the thunder of the competition.  Metroid doesn't need help selling systems, it makes more sense for them to stockpile for the release of Halo 3...  Why give Microsoft the satisfaction of outselling the wii for even one week.

Seriously there are other threads on stockpiling, check those if you don't see why they would do it. There is plenty of evidence of it.

To Each Man, Responsibility
kber81 said:
homelesscarl said:

You'll probably get a better attach rate with holiday sales since the big games come out then too. Also, some people (e.g. parents buying for their kids) only buy consoles during the holiday season. If you don't sell them a console this year, you aren't going to get another chance until next year or even worse they might buy another console.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Around the Network

I think everyone is looking into this far too much. We really dont' know the reason, it could be supply constraints, stockpiling, it could even be that vgcharts numbers are off for a few weeks, or it could be that the sales are just dropping a little bit from what they were in July.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

souixan said:
Videogirl said:
I don't think stockpiling the system is such a good idea. Because of its competitive price, the Wii is more an impulse purchase kind of product, when people want a Wii they should be able to get a Wii, if they don’t the urge might ware off and they might reconsider it and go for a another system instead.
Maybe stockpiling seems like a bad idea for the Christmas season, which seems to start in October since Bush took over America, but it is in fact a great idea. Videogames sell almost as much in the 2-4 months around December as they do the rest of the year, and how they do during the Christmas/Holiday season may determin how the public views them for the rest of the year.

"Maybe stockpiling seems like a bad idea for the Christmas season, which seems to start in October since Bush took over America"

Wait...what?  Are you implying that since Bush was elected President of America, Christmas starts earlier...?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

kber81 said:
C'mon people. What's the point of stockpilling? What's the difference if sale is steady. Why selling 800k a month for 11 months and 2 million in December is better than selling 900k for a whole year?

You need to take into account the people who may only spend the money on something like a video game console around the holiday time.  It is important for Nintendo to have millions of Wii's ready for the holiday season to allow anyone with the slightest desire to purchase one that opportunity. 

Also it doesn't hurt that that this strategy will have the media will once again deeming the Wii the must have gift for the holidays.  

BenKenobi88 said:
souixan said:
Videogirl said:
I don't think stockpiling the system is such a good idea. Because of its competitive price, the Wii is more an impulse purchase kind of product, when people want a Wii they should be able to get a Wii, if they don’t the urge might ware off and they might reconsider it and go for a another system instead.
Maybe stockpiling seems like a bad idea for the Christmas season, which seems to start in October since Bush took over America, but it is in fact a great idea. Videogames sell almost as much in the 2-4 months around December as they do the rest of the year, and how they do during the Christmas/Holiday season may determin how the public views them for the rest of the year.

"Maybe stockpiling seems like a bad idea for the Christmas season, which seems to start in October since Bush took over America"

Wait...what? Are you implying that since Bush was elected President of America, Christmas starts earlier...?

You are not realy starting that argument, are you? Why does people even bother to respond to crap like that?

souixan said:
Videogirl said:

How did George Bush have anything to do with Christmas?? And it starting in October .....

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.