By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii sales dropping down in US. Why?

Well another possibility that comes to my mind is that shops stockpiling them for MP3. Would make sense. Shops don't make money with the Wii, they make money with the software. If you have more hardware the time a big game hits (Madden, MP3) it helps you to sell more software with the unit itself. Does make sense to me.

Around the Network

It is likely that Nintendo is attempting to increase production and this would (potentially) cause some reduction in current output.

Production Lines within factories will often be upgraded, new production lines added, new factories will be built or old factories will be retrofitted ... This all means that new employees will be hired while experienced employees may be moved, production lines will be shut down for quality checks and so on.

Essentially, for weeks (or months) you can see lower production with the tradeoff of much higher production when your upgrades are complete; as consumers we may not even see this increased production immediately because the hardware may be set aside for use with game releases/christmas (or simply until they announce increased production).

I could be wrong though ...

Ummm....

Because there are always fluctuations in shipments and sales of every system, expecially when they sell out?

A 10% deviation from any given number isn't significant enough to extrapolate any issues with falling sales. It could be upto stockpiling (but for what?), shipping problems, or production ramp-ups....Or just no real reason at all.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Xeo_842 said:
They're probably just stockpileing for christmas.

This should have been the last post about this. Because this is totally what they're doing. So Santa can make kids happy.

I am Daemon. I am the Word.

I'm still suprised that Nintendo isn't slowly ramping up supply, I guess they could be trying to build some more momentum heading into the Holidays (making the Wii, the must buy item).

Vote for Ron Paul 2008

Only Anti-War and Anti-Taxes Republican

Freedom is a message everyone can embrace!

Around the Network

Good to know Happy Squrriel.

The easy awnser is stockpiling. It would be bad for Nintendo to miss the holiday season. If there are no Wiis at Christmas, people will be m ore likely to take a competitor's console. It could also help their bottem line. As there lots of Wiis avaliable at one point in time, interest for the system will increase.

Metroid prime 3 corruption stockpiling...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

i don't know how the things work in US...but here in Italy there's a thing called Summer, and HERE in Summer a decline in sales is perfectly normal..why in the world should a boy/man keep thinking about the latest videogame while outside the sun shines and girls wear shorter skirts?

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

C'mon people. What's the point of stockpilling? What's the difference if sale is steady. Why selling 800k a month for 11 months and 2 million in December is better than selling 900k for a whole year?

It makes it the "Hot thing" For the hollidays.

I am Daemon. I am the Word.