By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OMG! it the next ZELDA!!!!

Khuutra said:
Sqrl said:
KylieDog said:
My view on it is if the game needs a hint system, and not just a hint, they appear to actually show exactly what to do (as opposed to faires and such in older games just hinting at something to do with a rock for example) then the entire game will suck for anyone who wants any challenge.

Having this hint system doesn't mean they can crank the difficulty up, because the hint system will only help with puzzles, when it comes to fighting enemies those enemies are meant to fight the people who need the hint system as well as those who don't. Which means either really tough enemies that 'casuals' can't deal with, or really weak ones that both casuals and core gamers can. Pretty obvious the more logical choice, and I doubt they gonna get a hint button to kill the enemies for them.

I'm calling it now, this game will have no challenge, only need look at all Nintendos games recently to realise they aren't bothering to create any anymore.

Perhaps if it were mandatory you would have a point.  But from the wording in the patent this is going to be an optional feature and one that will requrie active use.

That isn't what he's saying. He's saying that even if the puzzles are made harder by this, the enemies are still going to be too easy, and he's calling it now.

If that's the case then a re-read is in order.  The system isn't just about puzzle hints it will show you contextually meaningful strategies to defeat a difficult enemy.  The idea, and this was explicit in the notes, is that having witnessed what works it will be made easier.  

I can tell you right now that this will work and it works beautifully, I know because this holiday I was showing my mom how to beat some of the tough stars in SMG (she has been trying to beat the game and has been stuck for a while now).  I would run through a level beat the star and then not collect it and reset the level because she wanted to do it on her own.  But with the 5 stars she was stuck on for a month (since I helped her on some at Thanksgiving) she was able to beat every last one of them within 2 or 3 tries after watching me complete the level.

And believe me this is a woman who is the antithesis of a gamer, she is the perfect example of a casual gamer.  The only reason she has even put this much effort into SMG is because she did it back when SMB came out and I think it's a nostalgia thing for her.  Of course if she had me available to show her how to complete each star she probably would have beat the game ages ago.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Sqrl said:

If that's the case then a re-read is in order.  The system isn't just about puzzle hints it will show you contextually meaningful strategies to defeat a difficult enemy.  The idea, and this was explicit in the notes, is that having witnessed what works it will be made easier.  

I can tell you right now that this will work and it works beautifully, I know because this holiday I was showing my mom how to beat some of the tough stars in SMG (she has been trying to beat the game and has been stuck for a while now).  I would run through a level beat the star and then not collect it and reset the level because she wanted to do it on her own.  But with the 5 stars she was stuck on for a month she was able to beat every last one of them within 2 or 3 tries after watching me complete the level.

And believe me this is a woman who is the antithesis of a gamer, she is the perfect example of a casual gamer.  The only reason she has even put this much effort into SMG is because she did it back when SMB came out and I think it's a nostalgia thing for her.  Of course if she had me available to show her how to complete each star she probably would have beat the game ages ago.

Oh, I agree with you (I've actually had the same experience with my boss and Super Mario Galaxy, bless her heart). This has the potential to be almost absurdly useful, and the kind of thing that could change the way designers look at making puzzles and enemies difficult.

I don't know what other changes they're going to make, but this alone has me very excited.

Zucas said:
wfz said:
My god this news has me extremely excited for a new Zelda game, even though it really doesn't tell us much, and we don't even know if it IS for a Zelda game. :P

I think I'll have a heart attack when I finally see a new badass Zelda trailer. Zelda for life! <3

Haha I remember the people's reactions to Zelda: TP's first trailer haha.  There has never been a great reaction to an announcement then that trailer.

you mean this one?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
Zucas said:
wfz said:
My god this news has me extremely excited for a new Zelda game, even though it really doesn't tell us much, and we don't even know if it IS for a Zelda game. :P

I think I'll have a heart attack when I finally see a new badass Zelda trailer. Zelda for life! <3

Haha I remember the people's reactions to Zelda: TP's first trailer haha.  There has never been a great reaction to an announcement then that trailer.

you mean this one?

Damn, that still gives me goosebumps.

My girlfriend watched this on a live stream back when it was unveiled. She actually cried.

@Naum,

Yup, that was one EPIC announcement. And I don't suspect it will be any different this time around.

edit: @Khuutra,

lol, wow I don't think I've ever cried over a game announcement, that's a deep love of Zelda right there.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

@Sqrl: Yeah we're kind of big on the series ("kind of"), but she was more caught up in the crowd's reaction than in the footage itself. And it's the screaming that gives me goosebumps, too.

It's just neat when people get excited.

Zucas said:
So it's like an ability skip something or whatever? Oh I really don't care. All I need is a trailer. Don't need this silly speculation of a patent haha.

Nintendo doesn't use anymore to show trailers or pics from games that will take long to release because their ideas get copyed, and the new Zelda will take a long... This year's we probably will se a Wind Waker New Control Play....

Finely I have read most of the posts… haha funny stuff can’t wait for footage though I like this teasing when it comes to a Zelda game. Oh man the day TP was shown I was so happy I almost cried hehe. Funny how a game can have this much effect on people.

Every Zelda game has great moments yes even the bad moments are great after you beat them. Like water temple and the shadow temple which I beat without the eye of truth! I want new moments like this. Moments that make me leave the game for a wile but then come back and try again. OoT was my first game I completed and I just kept on coming back until I beat it. It took me about 5mothes. And man was I happy with that last boss! It was the greatest battle ever I just loved it.

Pleas Nintendo make this one hard!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Khuutra said:
Naum said:
Zucas said:

Damn, that still gives me goosebumps.

My girlfriend watched this on a live stream back when it was unveiled. She actually cried.

Your girlfriend likes ZELDA??

DUDE MARRY HER!!!!

My oldest brother named his family's dog Zelda

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints