By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Stock Ford Focus in a race?!

My brother conned me into going to a KYSCCA (Kentucky Sports Car Club of America) Racing event.

He raced his 2001 Toyota MR2, while I raced my moms 2002 Ford Focus.

This is a Honda S2000 running the track at Fort Knox, Kentucky, in about 45 seconds. One of the better times of the day.

I pulled a 60.5 with the Ford Focus. (100% stock with crap tires)

My brother pulled a 59.8 with his Toyota MR2. (100% stock with performance tires)

I learned a beautiful lesson. Racing is a HELL of a lot easier in real life than in 'simulators'.

When I was working on the track to 'replace' the cones, I almost got squished by a miata... I still have pulled muscles in both my legs, feet, and back from litterally running/diving out of it's way.

EDIT: You can see the Apache helicopter the army brought to show off, on the right side of the screen at the end of the video. Yes, this was on a air-strip at Fort Knox. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Awesome, that vid's driver did alright, I see the Heli, damn I'd like to fly one of them.

ArtofAngels said:
Awesome, that vid's driver did alright, I see the Heli, damn I'd like to fly one of them.

Yeah, that wasnt the guys first run, but I was doing the 'cones' for the first 'heat' and this was the first guy out of the gates. and DAMN, he flew. I was sitting there, (you can see me in the video) and I was like "OMG THESE GUYS ARE CRAZY! I'M GONNA DIE!?!"

After he makes the first 'big' turn to the left, he goes into a slalom There are like 3-4 people on the left right when he goes in, and then you see one guy standing WAAAY off the side of the course towards the end of the slalom. That's me. Becuase this video is like. Just after a miata almost ran my ass over... so I was trying to keep my distance from the track.

Miata + 30mph + sideways + coming at you + 10 feet away from you = scary

And just to point out that I really enjoyed that... this is the car I plan on getting in the 'near' (next year) future.

Damn that looks likes fun, can't believe you got your time so close to the MR2 all things considered. What kind of speed do they get to round about, seems like he's going pretty fast at the end there but it's hard to tell.

Around the Network

thats one fine looking car kwaad :D

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Disposition said:
Damn that looks likes fun, can't believe you got your time so close to the MR2 all things considered. What kind of speed do they get to round about, seems like he's going pretty fast at the end there but it's hard to tell.

Depending on the car... diffrent speeds. Most imporant were the tires ON the car.

There was a 'shifter cart' That ran at around 50-80 the entire track.

There was a tricked out Formua class car there, that pushed it up to around 90 I beleive. (had to slow down more on the corners, that's why the shifter cart, beat it by .4 seconds)

There was a 'custom' MR2 with performance tires that pushed I think 45 seconds.

And there was a Stock Honda Civic with some NASTY NASTY sticky tires on it, that did it in 52.

My brother got up to 65 once with his car, and I got up to 65 once too. However, I didnt hit a single cone.

The way it works, is you run the thing 5 times, with like a 10 minute break between runs.

I never hit a cone, and I never got a DNF. My brother hit a cone on one run, missed the 'chicago box' (where you see the car in the video take that REALLY nasty turn halfway down the main runway, before the first 'turn')

Then my brother on the last turn, hit the gas a bit much, and slid off the track about 50 feet backwards. 

sheesh 65 is enough to keep you on your toes, thats what about 105 km/h. Looks fun Ill have to do something like that one day.

hey quad that saturn is awesome my dad used to work for allison transmission and he gets books on whats coming out in 2 years and that thing is sweet.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

Not bad kwaad. But you did have two benefits over the MR2, Focus has better suspension than MR2, and Focus has front wheel drive (depending on Focus model, it may have had even more horsepower). Europeans indeed know how to make a good suspension, only one that makes better suspension than the German, is the French (but, thats the only good thing in French cars...).

But it was nice to see that you liked racing IRL, try gravel next time, it's much more fun than racing in tarmac.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.