By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft working on Price Competition for "PS3 Spring Price Cut"

Any competitive advantage Sony would gain by dropping the price would be offset my MS's pricedrop.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network
frybread said:
Any competitive advantage Sony would gain by dropping the price would be offset my MS's pricedrop.

Unless of course, Sony has something up their sleeve.  But I wouldn't hold my own breath on that one, lol.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

I think the actual idea of this was to tell consumers that sony would drop price so don't buy it while at the same time saying we will match their price.

Keeps people from buying a 400$ ps3 and offers competition.

theprof00 said:
I think the actual idea of this was to tell consumers that sony would drop price so don't buy it while at the same time saying we will match their price.

Keeps people from buying a 400$ ps3 and offers competition.

Didn't work on this consumer :P

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

lets hope it doesn't work period. ms guys are some shrewd businessmen.

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Price competitive? How much cheaper could a 360 actually get!?

$50! $50?! Now isn't that nice! The Fun is Back! Oh Yessiree! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qAadfsJrmM

chaospluto said:
colonelstubbs said:
Price competitive? How much cheaper could a 360 actually get!?

My thoughts exactly.

in US the arcade model is sold at 199$...the pro model retails for 299$: do you really believe that a 60gig HD costs 100$ to MS? it doesn't cost more than 10-15$...add a coulpe of cheap accessories (cable and headphone) and there's still at the very least 70$ for a pricedrop. And we could do the same for the elite model...50$ more than the pro JUST for a 120gig HD? come on, for 50$ I can buy a 400gig HD while MS that buys thousands of HDs can't find a 120gb for 150$?

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

What is this about MS can't drop the price any lower? This sounds like last year before the 2nd Euro price drop. I don't get how you guys think Sony can get costs down but yet MS can't and Sony is the one that is losing tons of money?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

People do realise that there is a diminishing effect with price cuts, don't they?

Please realise that a drop from £200 to £150 has a much greater effect than the drop from £150 to £100. There is a reason as to why the PS2 is still £100.

Even if Microsoft does match Sony in price cuts (which I significantly doubt), the effect in demand for the Xbox 360 will not be as great as the effect for the PS3.

Phrancheyez said:
I find it funny that MS has to do anything to remain 'price competitive' when your competitor is priced so much higher than you are, and even with a price cut will still be higher. It's called fear...they know if the PS3 is at or near the same price, the 360 gets blown out of the water.

I also don't think that Sony is lying about not having a 'price cut'. It's not a price cut, because they won't be lowering the price of the current console. They'll release a slim version with a new price, and if the slim version never had a 400-500 dollar price, it's not a price cut to sell it at 300-400.

I don't think they're lying.

Why?  The Arcade SKU of the 360 is cheaper than the Wii, but its not blowing it out of the water.

Your post has a lot of baseless speculation ...