By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii slightly undertracked in UK?

Until last week when the Starter Pack was launched vgchartz data showed the 360 outselling the PS3 each week in UK .

But ,Uk isnt Europe but only a small part of it ,and although the 360 is doing quite well in Uk in continental Europe is as good as dead .

If you want to think 360 is doing as well as the PS3 in Europe do as you wish ,but for the people that live actually in Europe its obvious the PS3 is doing far better than the X360 .The difference is this one ;the PS3 is moving some systems slowly but moving them and lately faster due to the Starter Pack ....the X360 hardly moves any unit .I do see the same boxes of 360 in the stores week after week and month after month and when someone picks one up its a strange evenement .Their shelf space is decreasing and almost 0 in some stores etc etc .

Thats not "fantasy numbers " ,thats the naked truth .X360 doesnt sell at all in continental europe and Japan ,and it only sells well in NA and UK .If you dont want to believe it Neo thats your problem the reality will keep being the same .

Besides ,we dont know much about this numbers .We dont know if they refer to the last week ,or a promedium of the last weeks (how many ) ,if it takes in count the Starter Pack ,if its shipped or sold to customers numbers etc etc .For example the same source (Chart track ) gave numbers some weeks ago and that was the main reason (I think ) why vgchartz changed its usual UK numbers of the PS3 being outsold nearly 2-1 by the 360 to something more balanced (and that last week with the Starter Pack gave the PS3 some advantage ) .

Around the Network

Btw, don't forget about the DS announcement, according to the article it is close to 4M already in the UK. Considering they reached 3M somewhere in March:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=27672

It means DS is selling at an average of close to 200k units per month in that period which is an unbelievable pace. In comparison, the UK has around 1 fifth of the population of the US, so 200k/month is like selling 1M/month in the US. Maybe there has been a huge Pokemon bump in the last few weeks to partly explain it? Anyway, sales must have increased dramatically during the year, cause for the first 6 months of the year Charttrack reported Nintendo selling 668k handhelds in total. Even if GBA is completely dead it would still put DS on a maximum average of around 100k/month.

Apparantly, the european data have been considerably modified by this news (and australian news), but I observe that the ds has not changed, although, they speak about 4M. My question is:

Why?

Diomedes1976 said:
Until last week when the Starter Pack was launched vgchartz data showed the 360 outselling the PS3 each week in UK .

But ,Uk isnt Europe but only a small part of it ,and although the 360 is doing quite well in Uk in continental Europe is as good as dead .

If you want to think 360 is doing as well as the PS3 in Europe do as you wish ,but for the people that live actually in Europe its obvious the PS3 is doing far better than the X360 .The difference is this one ;the PS3 is moving some systems slowly but moving them and lately faster due to the Starter Pack ....the X360 hardly moves any unit .I do see the same boxes of 360 in the stores week after week and month after month and when someone picks one up its a strange evenement .Their shelf space is decreasing and almost 0 in some stores etc etc .

Thats not "fantasy numbers " ,thats the naked truth .X360 doesnt sell at all in continental europe and Japan ,and it only sells well in NA and UK .If you dont want to believe it Neo thats your problem the reality will keep being the same .

Besides ,we dont know much about this numbers .We dont know if they refer to the last week ,or a promedium of the last weeks (how many ) ,if it takes in count the Starter Pack ,if its shipped or sold to customers numbers etc etc .For example the same source (Chart track ) gave numbers some weeks ago and that was the main reason (I think ) why vgchartz changed its usual UK numbers of the PS3 being outsold nearly 2-1 by the 360 to something more balanced (and that last week with the Starter Pack gave the PS3 some advantage ) .

i never said anything about not believing ps3 or 360 numbers really..

do i need to remind you what this thread was about or shall i read you the title once again? ;)

WII NUMBERS!

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Ok, it's done now. DS is very impressive.

Around the Network

I think we need to throw sharky and Diomedes in a room together and have a death match and whoever comes out alive gets to decide what the Others numbers are! :P

Diomedes1976 said:

Here's a post I saw on another game forum just today from somebody who lives in Europe:

>> Not sure were people get the idea that the ps3 is selling well in europe. in scandinavia were i live the x360 is dominating, at least store display-room wise in game stores etc. And when i lived in the UK last year none of the gamestores even had a ps3 on display. Maybe its doing allrite, but i seriously doubt it.>>

So hmm, who do I believe?

A lot of people who hate the 360 and live in Europe have been proclaiming it "dead" there for some time, but then we often get sales figures that always seem to show it wasn't so dead after all, such as the very ones in this thread.

I agree, that Xbox360 struggles in continental Europe, but I doubt it's as "dead" there as some people would like to believe either.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the UK is the largest game market in Europe. Up to 35% of the market. So just doing ok in UK alone means you can make a pretty big dent in EU sales.

And I further think you can segregate games into a West and East. The West is USA and EU, East is Japan. Now, Japan doesn't really buy West games. So Western devs only sell to EU+USA. 

Out of that, USA is by far the most important market and that is where 360 thrives. So that tends to drive Western software support toward 360, which of course eventually drives Western hardware sales, which I believe will eventually show up in Europe. Which  is why in the end I think 360 has a good shot a beating PS3 in Europe this generation when all is said and done.

In other words the video game market forces acting on Europe are much more infuenced by the USA than say, Japan..if 360 dominates PS3 in USA, it very likely will have to end up winning the EU.