By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Teases With High Quality 3-D PS3

And if the tech is in the PS3 (which it could be given the games they chose to play), then the PS3 could easily make it an on/off switch with a simple firmware update. It would help 3D adoption right quick, and for the time being, you'd just have to wear the silly glasses. However if TV's get to the point where they can render the image in 3D, the PS3 should in theory already be capable of delivering :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

I read an article early last year about Panasonic showing off a 3-D TV in Manhattan. They sounded ver impressd even back then claiming that it looks as though the image is coming out of the screen, even if viewing from an angle.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

those are the TVs,,,, I think this is the PS3 with the glass that is doing the trick.

I want to agree with Spartan :P I don't know if this is the case for sure. If it's the PS3 doing this, then all tv's should be compliant.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I think this is the PS3 and not the TV. Better yet I am almost 100% certain of this.

Why would they need glasses if 3-D TV sets do not require glasses? The glass must be for those non 3-D sets. One of the main selling points of these TV sets is "without special glasses". No idea about anyone else here but I know what that says to me.

I found this video, it is from last year. It is like a 3-D TV demo. Pretty cool stuff.

Some articles say that this new technology is good enough to the point where HDTV just may become obsolete before it even gets its feet entirely off the ground.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Around the Network

As much as I don't agree with this (3D gaming? Really?!), this will be very innovative. I think that if every game made after this gets implemented, has an option to put it in 3D, it will finally be what the PS3 needed to differentiate itself with the 360.

@SnakeEyez

I can understand the point in not agreeing with it but then I think about how immersive FPS games are supposed to be. Now think of it like this, KZ2 where it looks like the area is actually right in front of your face.

Currently playing:

I guess MS will have something similar when Sony is able to get this out.

And before that happens, xbox fanboys will say they rather not have it until they get them on the 360.

kowenicki said:
All tv's are compliant... if you dont mind wearing glasses...

Contacts.

How much could a pair of glasses possibly cost? I think it is worth it if that is all that is asked of you. No need for a new TV, no new add-ons for the PS3 (from what we know).

Sounds like nothing but good news.

Pfftt... and people say Sony isn't innovative.

Currently playing:

ps3, 360, and even Wii could probably all pull off this effect. Essentially you are rendering 2 images at once, so the graphical quality would be downgraded. (killzone 2 in 3D would not look as good as Killzone 2 without it).