By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Teases With High Quality 3-D PS3

Well we'll just assume for now that all consoles and PC's are capable of this, unless this is using some put together "cell magic", don't ask me what it means lol.

If they can get the PS3 to do this though, that would be SO awesome. A switch that would allow you to put on silly glasses and enjoy another aspect of your console. Although I will have to say, it really does sound entirely too good to be true. There would HAVE to be a catch. I love Sony and all, but I doubt they'd just give this away for free..

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
ph4nt said:

ps3, 360, and even Wii could probably all pull off this effect. Essentially you are rendering 2 images at once, so the graphical quality would be downgraded. (killzone 2 in 3D would not look as good as Killzone 2 without it).

Well Ars technica made mentions that this was one of the best 3D showcases they've ever seen. I don't recall them mentioning an obvious hit in the quality of the titles ;) So if it's a trick up Sony's sleeve's I'm all the more curious. Either way though, PS3 tech or TV tech, this is great news ^^

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

kanariya said:
I guess MS will have something similar when Sony is able to get this out.

And before that happens, xbox fanboys will say they rather not have it until they get them on the 360.

It is more like 360 owners would rather wait for it to appear on the 360 instead of forking over a bunch of money for a new system. In regards to the Wii Remote being a fad or this being a fad, combining effective motion control with 3D adds immersion.

markers said:
is it blurry because im not 3-d capable?

The blurry double imaging is how you get 3D with glasses now.

I think I prefer the wiimote 3D application a guy did (the one that was supposed to be in boom blox).

I mean your vision is not impared by anything and others can see it too.

Now a combination of both would be very interesting (especially since both requier something to be worn, it's easy to combine.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

Its way too confusing and competitive right now. With Cameron shooting Avatar and tons of 3d TV's competing for the home market, a system that needs glasses might just be irrelivent and inconvenient.

^^ Hephaestos, you need to wear the wiimote enabled glasses to get the effect dont you?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

MikeB said:

Hoping this will finally lead to some breakthroughs.

The Ars Technica guys certainly seem impressed:

"I couldn't pry details about how the 3D affect was achieved, or if the display could turn any source into 3D, but what's clear is that, glasses or no, the 3D affect is amazing. Sony showed off Wipeout HD running in true 3D, and I was ready to whip out my credit card right there. Frank and I both agreed, this was one of the best demos of 3D technology we have ever seen.""

yea i hope well get this on our regular ps3s this year. I think there was an announcement with it coming via firmware last month or soemthing.

Check out my game about moles ^

i wants in time for GT5

one problem is that all games are not compatiblr,,,the game NEEDS to be 1080 P natively and 60 fps.