By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK: DS software sales boom, PSP software sales bust

"A total of 4.1 million PSP games were sold in 2008, compared to 5.6 million during 2007"

Well, that is 9.7 million games in two years in the UK. Lifetime sales for PSP in "Others" on vgchartz is 7.3 million + later added in numbers, which is probably around 4 million - 5 million. I think that shows how PSP software is better then most on this site give it credit for.

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:

"A total of 4.1 million PSP games were sold in 2008, compared to 5.6 million during 2007"

Well, that is 9.7 million games in two years in the UK. Lifetime sales for PSP in "Others" on vgchartz is 7.3 million + later added in numbers, which is probably around 4 million - 5 million. I think that shows how PSP software is better then most on this site give it credit for.

No it just means there is data is unavailable for many titles, FOR ALL SYSTEMS, not just the PSP. It's just not realistically possible to track every title.

FishyJoe said:
Aj_habfan said:

No it just means there is data is unavailable for many titles, FOR ALL SYSTEMS, not just the PSP. It's just not realistically possible to track every title.

But we are realistically close to software shipments on other platforms. I think 4 - 5 million might be a bit low, because of the huge GTA sales, 10 million is probably more likely, but I think the PSP sales in the UK for 2005 and 2006 easily make up that number. Meaning 1 country = our whole Others data, I don't think any platform can compare to that.

Aj_habfan said:
FishyJoe said:
Aj_habfan said:

But we are realistically close to software shipments on other platforms. I think 4 - 5 million might be a bit low, because of the huge GTA sales, 10 million is probably more likely, but I think the PSP sales in the UK for 2005 and 2006 easily make up that number. Meaning 1 country = our whole Others data, I don't think any platform can compare to that.

I absolutely agree - not to mention that according to official French numbers, PSP sold 2m units AND 8 million units of software. Something's fishy here...

Aj_habfan said:
FishyJoe said:
Aj_habfan said:

Software Totals:
Note that software figures are largely incomplete.

It's not complete, so you shouldn't be making any comparisons based on that data for anything. All the systems have huge chunks of data missing, in fact the DS has over 65 million unit disparity between shipment numbers and sales in others alone, but you don't see me ever bringing that up.

Around the Network

Hey, I am not saying PSP is the only one with incomplete software sales, but people need to realize that PSP is doing better then the 0.45 attach ratio claimed. Also, the you have to add in the numbers added afterwards, DS has a lot of those like the PSP, I safely added 10 million to PSP totals.

Aj_habfan said:
Hey, I am not saying PSP is the only one with incomplete software sales, but people need to realize that PSP is doing better then the 0.45 attach ratio claimed. Also, the you have to add in the numbers added afterwards, DS has a lot of those like the PSP, I safely added 10 million to PSP totals.

Noone is claiming a .45 attach ratio. You are taking data that says it's incomplete. You shouldn't be using that data for anything.

But people constantly use that data on this site. In the Others comment section, it's always like "Wow, PSP hardware almost beat software this week" or "How come nobody buys PSP games?". It's kind of useless talking about it here because you people know about this already, but I just wanted to put it out there.

FishyJoe, hatin' on that PSP again.

Only joking.

PSP software support is really dying off. I wonder if Sony will let the handheld die gracefully after 2009.

"But people constantly use that data on this site. In the Others comment section, it's always like "Wow, PSP hardware almost beat software this week" or "How come nobody buys PSP games?". It's kind of useless talking about it here because you people know about this already, but I just wanted to put it out there."

======================================================================================

We know PSP sold 8 million games in France (total), and 9.7 million games in the UK in the last two years. And that's just 2 territories, and only 2 years worth of sales in the UK.

The discrepancy with 'the Others' 7.3m number is stunning - especially since there are territories like Spain where PSP games often find their way onto charts.