By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK: DS software sales boom, PSP software sales bust

I knew the DS is king (or should I say queen?) in the UK, but the PSP is really in a state of decline. I don't see anything that's going to change the situation either.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/PSP+Slim+&+Lite/news.asp?c=10822

A total of 4.1 million PSP games were sold in 2008, compared to 5.6 million during 2007; a decline of 27 per cent. Indeed, the value of those sales dropped slightly more, from £111 million in 2007 to £70 million in 2008; down a rather staggering 36 per cent.

A total of 19.1 million DS games were sold in 2008, up 28 per cent on 2007's total. In terms of revenue, in 2008 the DS software market was worth £366 million, up 17 per cent compared to 2007.

Around the Network

PSP isn't declining as fast as PS2, but it's declining quite fast too.

PS3 software is increasing just enough to cover those declines in the holiday season according to VGC data, but I'm not sure this will be the case in 2009 without an early PS3 price cut (which I'm not expecting).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I gotta say, its not looking good for Sony right now...

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

Well is it surprising, there isnt a lot of psp software around

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:
Well is it surprising, there isnt a lot of psp software around

Nor there will be considering these stats... maybe in Japan.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Those numbers really puts Others numbers of PSP in perspective 7,265,480(Software).

NJ5 said:
PSP isn't declining as fast as PS2, but it's declining quite fast too.

PS3 software is increasing just enough to cover those declines in the holiday season according to VGC data, but I'm not sure this will be the case in 2009 without an early PS3 price cut (which I'm not expecting).

the psp may not be declining as fast as the ps2 but when put in context the psp is doiong much worse.

ps2 has been around for what? 8 or 9 years?

the psp only like 4.. and in comparison to the ds, which has been around for the same time, its doing really bad

hello how are you.

it's normal for PSP to decline, it has no support at all, Sony is now focused on Ps3

the only thing that saves PSP are the GTA and Final Fantasy games (where FF games keep it alive in Japan)

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

^^ Actually I'd say Monster Hunter keeps PSP alive in Japan. Lots of FF on DS.

The problem with PSP is not only pirating but people use it to play music and movies which reduces the need for many games. Sony screwed themselves with that. Reduced game purchases mean fewer games being made which means fewer sales overall. UMD didn't compensate for that either as Sony probably hoped.

I believe it is piracy that is affecting software sales for the PSP because mostly hardcore gamers have one and know how to get pirate games, chips etc. The DS has the R4 chip but most DS gamers are middle class type of people with money to burn and lots of women who think pirates are folk who travel the high sea with a wooden leg.

PC gaming rules.....