By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles: What is the appeal to anyone non-hardcore gamer?

Considering they hype and buzz behind Valkyria Chronicles on here, and the fact it won awards on here and was praised by individuals I would consider likely "hardcore hobbyists", I decided I would give it a second look, and research it further, to see if it is on sale.  When people are saying how it would end up going for $300 or more on EBay down the road, it makes one take notice.

Well, I had been expecting a WWII based RPG, with tactics and strategy, having people act as a commander of sort, and doing WWII level tactics and strategy, at historic battles.  So, I am thinking this is cool.   Well, I look into and I see:

1. It is set in a fictional universe LIKE WWII Europe, but isn't the same.

2. It features some fantasy elements to it.

3. Uses a watercolor fantasy style artwork.

I know hardcore gamers want revolutionary breakthroughs, high production values and everything else.  BUT, tell me why anyone would expect it to sell well?  Who, besides hardcore gamers, would it appeal to?  Any of these?

1. Fans of WWII FPS.  Call of Duty types that go for historic FPS's.  Isn't the game turn-based, and not first person?

2. Fans of historic wargames.  What is historic about this?  I don't see grognards going for it.

3. Fans of JRPGs.  How would this gaming world appeal to them?

So, outside of hardcore gamers, why would this title be expected to sell well?  This being said, I am interested in picking it up.   Considering I hunted down the Panzer Dragoon RPG, and this is a strategy-RPG, I am interested in it.

Around the Network

It's an SRPG, so I can't imagine anybody - even (especially?) Sega - expected it to sell a lot of copies. All things considered, it's sold pretty well.

You shouldn't decide to buy a game because it is selling well. Most of the best games I've played seem to have sold to only me and a niche group of people. All I can say about VC is that I tried it after never having played an SRPG before and I have to say that it's one of the best games I've played in my life. I say this even before completing the game.

This game made me sleep only about 5 hours in 2 days because it's just that much fun that I had to stay up at night to figure out difficult missions (Selvaria and Chapter 7 lol).

I bought the game after watching some youtube videos and hearing so much praise and I haven't regretted it one bit. Looking back, if I'd have known the game was as good as it is, I'll even buy it for $100.

Sadly, I can't tell you who this game would appeal to exactly. I can only say what my background is. I'm primarily a JRPG head. I also like a couple fighting game series and any action adventure game with swords. I have now added FPS games to my genre pool as of this gen due to their overabundance relative to the lack of JRPGs (at least on ps3). Hope this helps.

I think people say this game would be expensive later because it is somewhat characteristic of an overlooked gem that people end of considering much after it's production ends.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

The SRPG genre in general is probably the most niche out of all genre.

I dont think any has ever broken 1million.

Nobody expected it to sell well. Everybody is raving about it because it is one of the best SRPG out there.

Personally it is selling about as well as I expected, but with better legs than I expected.

Edit: And why does it have to appeal to the non-hardcore. Just enjoy it for what it is, an outstanding SRPG. I couldn't recommend it more.

Around the Network

I see raving about how great it is, and complaints it isn't selling well.

If the series had a Manga after it and became an anime series that had a following I figure that might help.

If I ever get a PS3, this is one of the first games I would buy.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

richardhutnik said:
I see raving about how great it is, and complaints it isn't selling well.

If the series had a Manga after it and became an anime series that had a following I figure that might help.

Lol theres anime adaption in production right now.

I think it's highly unlikely for it to end up that sought after, but it shouldn't really affect your choice.

It's a beautiful and well executed game, and with my backlog of JRPGs to go through it managed to keep me sticking with it, without me being interested in shooters, historical wars or strategy (only strategy franchise I love is Disgaea, and it has everything to do with wacky characters and cute sprites and little to do with strategy).

Personaly I think a lot of people would find likeable things about it, if they give it a try, but many never will try it. It is actually a fun game, it's not that easy but it didn't get frustrating for me, I found it to be good middle grounds.

Bottomline it's a beautiful and fun game.

Valkyria00 said:
The SRPG genre in general is probably the most niche out of all genre.

I dont think any has ever broken 1million.

Only Final Fantasy Tactics has, I think.