By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Sports: The 1.3 billion hour game.

Some of you may think "Wii Sports shouldn't count it comes free" etcetera, but perhaps you should understand that Wii Sports is not just some game everyone throws away when they get their Wii home, they actually play it, and they play it a lot.

The number varies from country to country, but a recent thread let me in on a little information regarding the American Nintendo Channel, and given I already have data for the PAL regions (although only UK, France and Germany is recent data, but it doesn't seem to change drastically for older games.

Anyhow, the average amount of time spent on Wii sports per owner, should lie somewhere between 31 and 33 hours, as the average in America is just less than 35 hours, in the UK it is highest at almost 37.5 hours, in France it is just short of 35 hours, in Germany about 30.5 hours.... and Spain, Benelux, Italy and the rest of Europe are all between 30 and 34 hours. The only region totally unknown is Japan, but as the game sells by itself there it must be pretty popular, but then again the lower total sales of the game in Japan won't affact the WW average much.

As such I am estimating the average time spent on Wii Sports, per person, is about 32 hours.

Lets multiply that by the number of Wii Sports discs across the world shall we.

30 X 40.52 million (still missing others data from the previous week though)
= 1296.64 million hours.

Now you Americans* will recognise that as just short of 1.3 billion hours played. Hardly a minute sum.

(1 billion used to be 1 million million, but for some reason Americans changed it to 1 thousand million)

Around the Network

Pretty good for a apparently something that isn't a game haha.

I know I've put my fair share of hours into it.

Personally I have totted up just short of 110 hours, over triple the average. Although I haven't played it since last March, but then most people stop playing their games after they complete them, ie within a month or two of getting them.... wheras I got Wii Sports the February of the previous year.

That and I am pretty sure I will be playing it again in the future.

I'm probably at around 50-60 hours.

still get the game out when people come over, but when I am doing local multiplayer MKWii and Brawl usually get all the time.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

It's still just a demo.

Well I seem to exceed the average quite a bit for most of my games.

Mario Kart Wii average worldwide will be around 30 hours, while I have played well over 300 hours.

I think my Endless Ocean time may be the biggest discrepancy though, I don't know the American figures, but in Europe the average is about 9.5 hours.... wheras I have played it 120 hours and counting.

I'm pretty sure my Wii has clocked over 100 hours, though I was probably only playing for 60-70 of them

noname2200 said:

It's still just a demo.

Yea haha I can't wait until the real game comes out haha.

noname2200 said:

It's still just a demo.

Typically you punish naughty children by not giving them attention. =P