By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Sports: The 1.3 billion hour game.

TWRoO said:
Griffin said:
TWRoO said:

Talking console only games (No idea what high numbers games like WoWarcraft would have built up) I don't think there will be more than 5 games with more time spent on them than 1.3 billlion hours.

Super Mario Brothers is 25 years old, so it's likely it has been played more, but not by huge amounts unless you start counting the GBA and VC versions.

PokemonR/B/G is likely the most played console (or handheld console) game of all time, a lot of people put a lot of hours into it, and people still play the old red/blue versions today, I played Red at a friend of mines house a few months back because she had been playing it before I went over. (it was actually my first experience of the game)

So, games that still probably have more time spent on them than Wii Sports:

Pokemon R/B/G will be top dog, likely followed by;
Pokemon G/S
Tetris will be third if counting GB version only
followed by SMB
perhaps Super Mario World will be 5th.

Nearest non Nintendo will likely be either GTA:San Andreas or GT3.... I would put my money on GT3 because I doubt the average time spent on GTA is particularly high.... probably less than Wii Sports average. GT3 may have a higher average, but too low sales to come near.

You think on average people have less then 33hours each on GTA:SA, the average is most likely over 100 hours.  Halo, Gears and CoD will no doubt be ahead of wii sports aswell.  I have no doubt GT3 has alot more hous put into it too, considering that the game could of been bought for $5 at ebgames for years now and was rented countless times.

If you think that, then you really don't understand how little games are played compared to us on the internet.

the PS3 and 360 may be more "hardcore" than the Wii, but they are still made up of more casual players (couple of hours a week) than people like us.

GTA:SA will not have an average playtime much higher than Wii Sport at best, and is likely to be a lot less. Most of it's owners will have pratted about for 5-10 hours shooting police and seeing how long they can keep from being arrested.... then those who do play it for over 100 hours will drag the average up to maybe 25 hours each.

I am most certainly a more hardcore player, AND I happen to like the GTA series, and I have about 50-60 hours on GTA3, and about 30 hours on GTA Vice City, (I have only played about 30 minutes of SA though)

The Halo average will likely be big, it is still a game with lots of casual players, but the online aspect will mean the average could be close to 80-90 hours, very very very few games will get this high an average when the sales are over 1 million, but Halo 3 hasn't sold enough to beat Wii Sports in total hours, it would need an average in excess of 125 hours per person to do this.

I think you are really underestimating GTA.  What are the averages for Twilight Princess, Galaxy, and Super Paper Mario (these games because I am interested in how other high selling single player games average)?  Saying the majority played 5-10 hours seems ridiculous.  I mean the games didn't sell 10 million+ and keep selling for years because everyone played it for a day or two and got bored of it.  GTA III, and possibly Vice City might have lower averages since sequels came so soon, but I am pretty sure San Andreas would be higher.  There are a ton of people who pretty much play GTA and that's it besides stuff like Madden, Halo, GT, etc.

GT3 being a similar situation.  Not to mention all the rentals, used sales, and pirated copies that aren't factored into the sales on the site.

Anyways, granted you said consoles, but I am sure WoW, Starcraft, Counterstrike, and the Sims have more time than Wii Sports.  I don't know if GTA and GT would actually have more total hours, just saying that I am sure the average is higher.

Around the Network

still the fact remains the low number of san andreas games out there vs wii sports puts it at a big dissadvantage. Since there are like 2.5 times the number of Wii sports out there the time played for san andreas has to be 2.5 times higher to EQUAL wii sports.

And i still think your overestimating the average person. San Andrea is such a casual person bought game tha tyou ahve to consider the amount of peopel that can't beat the missions and just screw aroudn a bit. And that will get bored after a while.

I have younger cousins and they ll can't beat the missions, and they say the sameabout their friends. All they do is steal a car and run from cops for a while.

irstupid said:
still the fact remains the low number of san andreas games out there vs wii sports puts it at a big dissadvantage. Since there are like 2.5 times the number of Wii sports out there the time played for san andreas has to be 2.5 times higher to EQUAL wii sports.

And i still think your overestimating the average person. San Andrea is such a casual person bought game tha tyou ahve to consider the amount of peopel that can't beat the missions and just screw aroudn a bit. And that will get bored after a while.

I have younger cousins and they ll can't beat the missions, and they say the sameabout their friends. All they do is steal a car and run from cops for a while.

I agreed that it is entirely possible that Wii Sports still has a higher total number of hours.  I just thought his assertion that most people only played GTA for 5-10 hours was way off the mark.

You also have to consider that your average wii owner connected to the internet probably plays more than those who aren't.

*“Wii Play” continues to defy the critics, by actually getting played — a lot.

These are just some of the discoveries in MTV Multiplayer’s fifth monthly breakdown of Wii software usage stats. Remember! I’m not tracking sales. I’m tracking how much time the people who play and rent these games actually play them. Any game can sell. But only good games get played.

Check out the usage stats for 41 Wii games:

WII SOFTWARE USAGE AS OF JANUARY 1, 2009

The following statistics are pulled from the Wii’s Nintendo Channel, which allows users to persistently share their play history for any disc or downloadable games played on the Wii. These numbers do not reflect overall usage of these games on the Wii but instead reflect usage of the more than 1.6 million Americans who are sharing info with the channel (up from 1.4 million last month). We think that’s a pretty healthy sample size!

Games are ranked in order of average play time. The game we’re tracking that has been played the longest by its average user is at the top of this list.

If there are more games you want us to track, let us know!

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Yakuzaice said:
irstupid said:

I agreed that it is entirely possible that Wii Sports still has a higher total number of hours.  I just thought his assertion that most people only played GTA for 5-10 hours was way off the mark.

You also have to consider that your average wii owner connected to the internet probably plays more than those who aren't.

while this may be true for games like smash and other hardcore games I would think it is the opposite for Wiisports.

How many times do you hear people say no games are gonna sell on the Wii because they just buy it for wiisports and don't buy antyhing else.  I feel that the soccer mom's, grandmas, little 12 and under kids or whoever else is stereotyped with the Wii are the ones that ARE NOT using the nintendo channel and having their games data sent to nintendo.

So I feel the average time could potentially be much higher for Wiisports.  And Brawl I would suspect is lower.  Brawl is a hardcore game and thus we seeing all the hardcore times vs the average person hwo has the game and probably has way less than 65 hours on it.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:

I think you are really underestimating GTA.  What are the averages for Twilight Princess, Galaxy, and Super Paper Mario (these games because I am interested in how other high selling single player games average)?  Saying the majority played 5-10 hours seems ridiculous.  I mean the games didn't sell 10 million+ and keep selling for years because everyone played it for a day or two and got bored of it.  GTA III, and possibly Vice City might have lower averages since sequels came so soon, but I am pretty sure San Andreas would be higher.  There are a ton of people who pretty much play GTA and that's it besides stuff like Madden, Halo, GT, etc.

GT3 being a similar situation.  Not to mention all the rentals, used sales, and pirated copies that aren't factored into the sales on the site.

Anyways, granted you said consoles, but I am sure WoW, Starcraft, Counterstrike, and the Sims have more time than Wii Sports.  I don't know if GTA and GT would actually have more total hours, just saying that I am sure the average is higher.

GTA:SA doesn't have an online mode, nor a local multiplayer mode (Smash, Kart and Wii Sports do, as does GT3) Those things make a BIG difference to the average playtime.... I don't think you realise how few people actually complete the games they own even once.... the average for Okami is under 20 hours, yet the game takes way longer than that to complete the first time.

The average for LoZ:TP is about 45-50 hours.... completing the main story took me 50 hours on my first go, and I would think, given that I am more of an avid gamer than most, that I was quicker than most. (although I do like to do a lot of the sidequests at the same time)

The average for Super Mario Galaxy is about 28 hours.

The average for Super Paper Mario is only about 20 hours in Europe (I don't know USA)

The average for Metroid Prime 3 Corruption I am not certain of as it was taken off the PAL nintendo channel for some reason, but before it was taken down it was about 19 hours I think, and in the USA it's 21 hours

Single player game just don't get the same kind of universal re-use, which is why their averages are low, even if their more hardcore nature means that some people play them for hundreds of hours, most people don't.