By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So is the PS3 the modern dreamcast?

I rediscovered DC with one of my mates in Uni, i've played a bit of Shenmue, Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxi, it's still a great system.

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
mrstickball said:
Steroid - Last I checked, one of the PS360 consoles has made about a billion dollars in the past year, and the other has lost a billion :-p

is that the 1billion in rrod losses?

Must be. Sony should move the PS3 into the 'home electronics' division with the TV's and stereos. That way the the PS3 will magically be a money maker as well! Hey, it worked for Microsoft!

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

I actually think that the comparison to the N64 is the most correct. The PS3 is the first failure for Sony just like the N64 was the first failure for Nintendo. Also they are both the most powerful and expensive for their time. It is possible for Sony to make a comeback just like Nintendo did because they have built up a pretty big name with the Playstation brand. The Dreamcast was Sega's last ditch effort to try to catch any kind of lightning in a bottle. This is why Sega took so many risks with the Dreamcast and also why it was such a great system. Maybe these companies need to get desperate more. LOL

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

No way is it the new Dreamcast. It hasn't exactly failed. Only by Sony's super high standards is it a failure but it's still selling and it's got plenty of third party support with games coming out left right and centre like the other consoles.

The PS3 is not selling like hot cakes due to Sony's and Microsoft's fault. Too expensive, inferior graphics to the 360 in most cross platform games (that makes a difference....remember how superior cross platform PSOne games looked next to the Saturn), not enough exclusives or timed exclusives, neglecting the casual audience.....Dreamcast on the other hand died cause of Sega's damaged brand, Sony's massive Playstation brand and the mostly obvious technical superiority of the PS2.

All of you are wrong. The ps3 is the new ps3. There has been none like it before it. It sells better than any other console at that price point. It has a processor worthy of a super computer and it's downright fucking awesome.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
Badassbab said:
No way is it the new Dreamcast. It hasn't exactly failed. Only by Sony's super high standards is it a failure but it's still selling and it's got plenty of third party support with games coming out left right and centre like the other consoles.

The PS3 is not selling like hot cakes due to Sony's and Microsoft's fault. Too expensive, inferior graphics to the 360 in most cross platform games (that makes a difference....remember how superior cross platform PSOne games looked next to the Saturn), not enough exclusives or timed exclusives, neglecting the casual audience.....Dreamcast on the other hand died cause of Sega's damaged brand, Sony's massive Playstation brand and the mostly obvious technical superiority of the PS2.

Did you see the 2008 comparison of PS3 and Xbox exclusives?

Here's an IGN link FYI: http://au.games.ign.com/articles/937/937519p1.html

STOP the FUD about not enough exclusives on PS3.

On topic: PS3==N64 is more correct. However the best thing about PS3 this gen which no other console has is the number of new 1st party IPs: (Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, LBP, Infamous, Resistance, Motorstorm etc) Can anyone beat that?

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

I look back fondly on the Dreamcast, I may not do so with the PS3. So far, the PS3 feels much more like a Saturn.

Cause of SALES wow the dreamcast sold 10.65 million anyway PS3 is nearly on 20mill... so no itsnot and the dreamcast kicked ass!

Not at all if you ask me.

The reason the Dreamcast failed wasn't that it was ahead of it's time.

It's that the Saturn, 32X and Sega CD screwed them.

If your looking for a PS3 corralary, one of those three systems makes more sense.

It's a system that isn't ahead of it's time so much as just being poorly poorly executed.

Fanboys look back on any system and think fondly of it though.  I bet there are people crying about their Atari Jaguars and how they ruled.

Kasz216 said:

Not at all if you ask me.

The reason the Dreamcast failed wasn't that it was ahead of it's time.

It's that the Saturn, 32X and Sega CD screwed them.

If your looking for a PS3 corralary, one of those three systems makes more sense.

It's a system that isn't ahead of it's time so much as just being poorly poorly executed.

Fanboys look back on any system and think fondly of it though.  I bet there are people crying about their Atari Jaguars and how they ruled.

When so many people are ranting how the system kicked ass as they do with the dreamcast...there could be a hint of truth. The truth is, Dreamcast was one of the last true classic gaming system(along side gamecube) until the whole multimedia, one box does everything, must redifine controls with motion control bullshit started. It did only games and it did it well...true gamer was much better off with the dreamcast while it was being supported than PS2. There wasn't a genre of game dreamcast didn't do really well. Try playing a good hockey or basketball game on the wii today.

Secondly no one thought Jaguar rocked...every Jag owner that I ever talked to said the system sucks