By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So is the PS3 the modern dreamcast?

Thank you Montana. I actually post something glowing about the PS3 comparing it to a beloved system and somebody actually accuses that of being doom and gloom? My bad, let me try again. PS3 will conquer it's enemies, first the 360 in 2009 and then finally the wii in 2010!!! Do no underestimate the power of teh cell and the Playstation brand!!1!!!1!! Seriously get over it. I love my dreamcast, I love my PS3, but lets not kid ourselves, it ain't winning this.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

How is he trolling?

He praises the PS3's quality and emphasizes that it has lots of exclusive quality games, he is just tossing around the idea that it might get a lot of the "when all is said and done" love.

Not only that, he has a disclaimer highlighting the differences between the PS3 and DC. He is not saying the PS3 is the DC 2.0.

No. The Playstation 3 is the Sega Saturn, not the Dreamcast.

The Dreamcast was made as a brilliant swan song of a failing company. The Sega Saturn was made by a company that had the whole world ahead of it, and totally destroyed any credibility they had on their 3rd machine (going from the Master System, to Genesis, to Saturn).

The parallels between the Saturn and PS3 are far closer. Both had great games, and very powerful architecture, but were horrible, costly choices for both Sega and Sony. Both will see major reductions in marketshare from their previous iterations. Both had the world ahead of them and lost most of, if not everything they made on previous systems.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The_vagabond7 said:
Thank you Montana. I actually post something glowing about the PS3 comparing it to a beloved system and somebody actually accuses that of being doom and gloom? My bad, let me try again. PS3 will conquer it's enemies, first the 360 in 2009 and then finally the wii in 2010!!! Do no underestimate the power of teh cell and the Playstation brand!!1!!!1!! Seriously get over it. I love my dreamcast, I love my PS3, but lets not kid ourselves, it ain't winning this.

Nintedo wins blah blah blah and as for Second place either PS3 or 360 could come out on top by the end of this generation and the final number will be withing a few million this generation who cares. Xbox brand and Playstation brand are both billions in the hole so why don't you rename your thread "is PS360 the new Dreamcast"?

@ MR. Stickball: I wouldn't be surprised if PS3 has outsold Saturn as well as Dreamcast in  little over 2 years. Also Saturn was the least powerful console of its generation as PS3 is the most.

mrstickball said:
No. The Playstation 3 is the Sega Saturn, not the Dreamcast.

The Dreamcast was made as a brilliant swan song of a failing company. The Sega Saturn was made by a company that had the whole world ahead of it, and totally destroyed any credibility they had on their 3rd machine (going from the Master System, to Genesis, to Saturn).

The parallels between the Saturn and PS3 are far closer. Both had great games, and very powerful architecture, but were horrible, costly choices for both Sega and Sony. Both will see major reductions in marketshare from their previous iterations. Both had the world ahead of them and lost most of, if not everything they made on previous systems.

Other then being expensive and not working out like they'd hoped, there are not a whole of similarities between the two situations.

Around the Network

Steroid - Last I checked, one of the PS360 consoles has made about a billion dollars in the past year, and the other has lost a billion :-p

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

somebody here sounds bitter, and it's not the guy who loves his Dreamcast and PS3. I don't know how this topic could be taken offensively. Are we simply not to mention that Sony is losing this round, and pretend that it's not happening? The idea that it's going to make a huge come back is getting more and more far fetched with every passing quarter. Sorry if my optimism is laced with realism, I'll try to go for blind fanboyism next time.

Point is, the PS3 has a killer library. Many sites, magazines ect have acknowledged that this year Sony had the best software line up hands down. Unfortunately due to circumstances it's not getting distribution commensurate to it's quality. Just like the poor unfortunate dreamcast which is now revered by those that had one.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

mrstickball said:
Steroid - Last I checked, one of the PS360 consoles has made about a billion dollars in the past year, and the other has lost a billion :-p

Just 6 Billion more to go untill the brand breaks even eh? Perhaps by the time the 720 comes out.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10130165-75.html

Why can't PS3 just be PS3?
I'm not delussional, I know the PS3 wont win the sales race. If the consumer base is happy then what's the problem?
Lets just stop crying wolf and enjoy the games...
The only 360 series I'd want is Gears of War and the only Wii game I'd want is Wii Fit and maybe the Zelda series but who cares. The other 2 systems have the price advantage and thats the only reason they are ahead.

I think some of you aren't getting what he is talking about. This isn't about numbers, winners, losers etc. (well it kind of is) He seems to be more focusing on feelings, emotions and memories, that 10 years from now PS3 owners (and maybe some who weren't) will still appreciate the system greatly and will know that their purchase was worth it, even though it didn't get the commercial success of the Wii. (the same feeling he has about his Dreamcast)

Unless of course I'm wrong and missing Vagabond's point as well...