By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 comes bringing Gifts!!!!

I cannot be the only one who noticed forevercloud saying that one character model in Killzone probably has more polygons than "an entire level" of Gears 2.

I mean, the worm alone.

Around the Network
Shadowblind said:
Aj_habfan said:
Shadowblind said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Shadowblind said:

I thought Killzone 2 looked better then Gears 2? This looks like Call of Duty 4: Killzone Edition :/

...... ...............................................please tell me that is some kind of miss placed sarcasm, or a joke...

Gameplay-wise. Obviously graphics are supperior to Call of Duty 4. I still hold to the fact that I can't see how this game looks better then Gears 2 though. Anybody who thinks so needs to go replay the giant sea monster scene.

It was real, I freaking swear that the entire sequence was a video of a living, breathing prehistoric creature. Theres no other explanation to how it looked so amazing.

HOWEVER(pay attention to me) I'm willing to only pass judgement upon it when I get it and see it for myself. My judgement up to this point is influenced only by what I have seen so far.

I don't see how people can look at a short video of FPS and say it has better gameplay then another FPS. What are you looking for to make this decisions? All look the same to me :S

I think you have to play it, to see how it controls, see how it feels to shoot people, run around, throw a grenade and everything to really know if the gameplay is the same.

EXACTLY! Thats what I'm getting at, it looks the same to me as Call of Duty  did in terms of gameplay. As for normal FPS, there are actually many ways to tell how the gameplay is different from one to the next, but you summed up my point. It looks like Call of Duty: Killzone, i.e. they both look the same. 

Not saying its bad or good, just saying it looks pretty much exactly like Call of Duty. LOOKS. And from LOOKS, you can tell a whole bunch about things. Controls don't make a game different from another if they have the same gameplay. 

Well actually, my point was more that from looks you CAN'T tell a whole bunch of things. And how a game controls can be very important.

twesterm said:

Actually, they make a super high poly version and use that to build normal maps for characters (and likely same for objects).  You make it sound like that's being cheap or lazy, personally I think it's the better way that throwing millions of poly's at things.

Anybody can make a high poly object, it actually takes skill to work within a defined set of rules.  If you have those rules then that even allows you to have more objects.  I highly doubt they left everything in the game high poly.

-edit-

lolITTTech, that's why you think like that.  I'm sorry and I'm really not trying to sound mean to you here, but I know many studios that flat out won't even look at people that from any of the ITT Tech or AI schools and for good reason.  I don't know anything about the quality of your work, but in general, those schools are there just to take your money and not to teach you.

-edit #2-

And so I don't sound like so much of an ass, let me add more to the lolITTTEch part.

The people that come out of the ITTTech game schools and are good are good because they are good.  ITTTech didn't do anything to make them good other than to give them a small boost perhaps.  The rest of the people that come out of there are mediocre at best, do not know how to work in teams, do not know how to work with other disciplines, and just aren't people that are very marketable.

THey make high end models with a lot of polys for gears, yes, but not as high end as the Killzone 2 ones, which is very much apparent for those trained to look at such things. Gears 2 may use a lot of polys, Killzone 2 simply uses a whole lot more and with comparable textures if not better ones. Hense, Killzone 2 looks better. Not just anybody can make a high poly model. That takes a very long time and is extremely taxing on the 360. Thats why Gears doesn't use them. It is much better suited for them to use low polys, high texture work to give off a great look.

And I wont even fret over your blatent disregard for ITT tech, becuase in actuallity, its true. ITT SUCKS ASS!!! At least as far as a gaming school is conscerned. The only reason I stick around here is because I gain access to all of their resources such as Max(Maya and XSI I had to get on my own, dont tell anyone), Photoshop, Flash, etc. I cant afford this kind of high end stuff on my own so I get them through school, as well as all the text books and learning aids. It really does feel like I am teaching myself all this stuff. THe teachers  here barely know what they are talking about, frequently not having a clue. That is why I take the time on my breaks(as of right this second) to study and practice of my own accord.

I will say one thing though. Most game designers don't care about the location of your education. Case in point...

THe head manager of the Gamestop I work at's cousin is the ex lead of Warhammer Online from EA Mythic. I actually hung out with him at a bar, pretty cool guy. He went to ITT as well....and dropped out. He never obtained a degree at all, yet he knew his stuff and was a people person. That got him the lead role. So me going to ITT  doesn't even matter.

Moving on UE3 is over used and begs for designers to take short cuts on models. That is the reason why it is popular after all. The engine allows for you to make the smallest model ever then texture over it for beautiful results. It is not necessarily a bad thing. But the UE3 is being played out. Killzone 2's engine is proving to work with higher polys and great textures as well. My insight from the gaming industry tells me that developers are moving away from the UE for just that purpose. Especially after seeing Killzone 2.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

@Twesterm

Another thing!

Its funny that you would say you know some places that would not look at someone graduating from ITT and AI. Seeing as ITT and The Art Institute are in the top 3 of game design course schools. They are actually seen as the cream of the crop, regardless of their actual outcome. UAT is as well, the school I wanted to go too -_-.

Greatness Awaits

KylieDog said:
forevercloud3000 said:
KylieDog said:
The destruction still isn't as good as Battlefield Bad Company.

........you are such a Hater/Fun Succubus.....

I have never seen you post a positive comment.......EVER! I cant tell if you are serious or not.

I don't hate KZ2, I'll probably buy it at some point, but I'll be sitting there playing and probably think quite often "If Only I could blow those walls away like in Battlefield".

I'll happily agree to any postives to a game, but I won't ignore the negatives.  Many people like to ignore the negatives of a game they are looking forward to, but I look at games as a whole.

I'll happily say KZ2 will probably be great despite the destructive elements being steps backwards, CoD: WaW and R2 both lack destruction too, but are good games non the less.

Although I suppose I could say CoD and R2 had co-op which was also moving forward, and KZ2 lacks that, but it might sound negative.

It's not a negative that it's not BFBC that was simply that games style. I like other styles where not everything is desctructable since it limits what they can script in because players can take paths not expected.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
Lolcislaw said:
Well the graphics surely do look pretty, shame its a shooter and i dont care for shooters on gamepad;)

Now i corrected this sentence a bit :)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

@shadowblind

I commented on your first comment before I could see what you had re posted. It sounded like you were taking a stab at the graphics. Gameplay wise It might not be all that different because controls can be remapped these days. Yet its the visuals of which you manipulate there actions that make Killzone 2 the true winner here. Shooters to me all play the same. The only difference is that one may be more glitchy, animations could be off, etc.

Still, if the controls were completely like COD4's, would that really be a bad thing? And Gears2 reception on gameplay as a whole is mixed like most shooters. Some love it, some hate it, most tolerate it. But Gears is a TPS so it is different. COD4 has top honors of most loved FPS gameplay, at least until Killzone 2 releases. All those I know that played the beta says that it out shines COD 20 fold.

We all will be able to judge for ourselves come January 5th if you reserved the game at Gamestop. Demo will be available.

Greatness Awaits

CGI-Quality said:
@ forever

Those two gifs in that recent post of yours are mind-boggling Unmatched visuals and physics in my book!

Thanx CGI ^^

Here is some more to quel your thirst for graphix, I know how much of a little graphix whore you are lol

Whomever thought that K2 only had scripted destructable envo, check these out. I dont think EVERYTHING is destructibe, yet quite alot is that really add to the overall feel of the game.

Greatness Awaits

I think that some of you may not have the patience to handle the controls, from what I've played, the controls don't respond the same as other shooters, you feel a lot more heavy, it's hard to explain, Once you get the hang of it, it's brilliant, but it's not the same sort of twitch as, say, CoD.

SamuelRSmith said:
I think that some of you may not have the patience to handle the controls, from what I've played, the controls don't respond the same as other shooters, you feel a lot more heavy, it's hard to explain, Once you get the hang of it, it's brilliant, but it's not the same sort of twitch as, say, CoD.

If you ask me that's a good thing. Shooters should be slower on consoles because of the controller.

Check out my game about moles ^