By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Annoying Ad.

If you have a router, you have a firewall. I wouldn't worry about using a software one.

Antivirus programs are not very good at finding spyware/adware/greyware programs, even if they say they are anti-spyware.

The best programs to use to combat spyware is Spybot Search & Destroy, Lavasoft Adaware or Superantispyware. You can find all of those at majorgeeks.com

Around the Network

what's a good software firewall for vista? i'm assuming the built in one is garbage.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Comodo Firewall.

http://www.download.com/Comodo-Firewall-Pro/3000-10435_4-10460704.html

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Avast is shit. It's not a free antivirus, it's a free poor quality antivirus. And it's specially weak against these kind of adwarez; just a couple weeks ago I removed a similar malware from my room mate, who by the way was also using Avast at the time.

Here's what you should do: open the task manager and go through each of your process with a process database (there are some online) to identify the culprit. Once you do, use microsoft's tool for process managing to track the archive that spawned the process and just trash it.

edit with relevant links:

http://www.processlibrary.com/

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

edit with suggestion:

migrate to linux or mac

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap, most antivirus software is NOT anti-spyware software. Avast as an antivirus program isn't that bad though I do prefer Nod32, Kapersky or ClamAV.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Bitmap, most antivirus software is NOT anti-spyware software. Avast as an antivirus program isn't that bad though I do prefer Nod32, Kapersky or ClamAV.

Maybe I've been too harsh. Anyways, lavasoft's adware didn't pick up my room mate's malware neither =/

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

On my Windows box I use a mix of 2 anti-spyware apps (Adaware and Spybot S&D), 1 anti-virus (either of the 3 aforementioned but not all at once of course), 1 firewall (my router has a good one built in) and Firefox.

On my Linux box I use.....well, no need for any of that ( still use Firefox though).

Viper1 said:
On my Windows box I use a mix of 2 anti-spyware apps (Adaware and Spybot S&D), 1 anti-virus (either of the 3 aforementioned but not all at once of course), 1 firewall (my router has a good one built in) and Firefox.

On my Linux box I use.....well, no need for any of that ( still use Firefox though).

I use adaware.  I'll ahve to mix in spybot.