By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kingdom Hearts 3 - Where do you think it's going?

Wellllll, seeing as it's a game with Disney characters, I'd say Wii. After all, the mere thought of Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse running around on their HD tv screens would surely be too much to handle for all those manly hardcore HD gamers? X'D

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

i hope for the main game to go to the hd consoles. while some other port go to the Wii. i believe that KH should be similar to FF and keep its main port on hd consoles particularly the PS3.

This discussion is really unwarranted seeing as the game isn't coming for another 2 or 3 years. However, Square Enix is particularly fond of announcing games way too far in advance so they are likely going to have to make a decision on which console to develop it on now. That being said, there are only three logical choices to make.

1. PS3 Exclusive
The obvious choice, but it's obvious for a reason. Tetsuya Nomura is a known PS3/Sony fan and he and his team will be coming right off of working with the PS3-exclusive Final Fantasy Versus XIII meaning Nomura and his team will have plenty of experience with the system and its unusual archetecture. Hell, there's a good chance that Kingdom Hearts III might even use the same engine as FFvXIII. It's also worth mentioning that by the time that Kingdom Hearts III will be released PS3 will have sold about twice as many systems as it has now after a minimum $100 price drop as well as the releases of Final Fantasy XIII and Gran Turismo 5, so the argument against PS3 exclusivity due to its small marketshare is pretty worthless. Basically, if Disney let's Square Enix decide the system and Nomura is allowed control of the project, it'll likely be PS3 exclusive.

2. PS3/360 Multiplatform
This option is viable in the event that Square Enix feels that the PS3's marketshare will be too small to warrant exclusive release of the game. However, whether it be with Project Slypheed, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4 or Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Square Enix has shown all throughout this generation that they aren't oppossed to illogical console exclusivity. However, with the knowledge that Square Enix is suppossedly making a concious effort for multiplatform releases, a multiplatform release is a possibility that can't be ruled out. However, as long as Star Ocean 4 and especially Versus XIII remain exclusive and successful, I see this as being the least likely of the three possibilities.

3. Wii Exclusive
The controversial choice. There's no denying that putting Kingdom Hearts III on the Wii would probably earn Square Enix and Disney the most bang for their bucks. However, being what the game is, it will likely earn both parties enough bang for their bucks regardless of what system it's on. The fact of the matter is the PS2 had sold roughly 25 million consoles sold when Kingdom Hearts was first released on it and the game only sold 5.5 million. Kingdom Hearts II has only sold about 3.7 million and it was released when the PS2 had sold 90 million consoles. It's not going to make a significant difference in three years whether the game is released on PS3 with about 40 million consoles sold or the Wii with 80 million consoles sold. Either way, the game is almost definitely only going to sell between 3 million and 5 million units. Futhermore, Square Enix's distaste for the Wii is almost palpable. So far this entire generation, they've only released 3 games on the system and none of them have been received well in either sales or ratings. The only thing that many believe points to Kingdom Hearts III being released on the Wii is the Disney factor, which is flimsy at best. It assumes for one that Disney even really cares what system the game is on. For two, it assumes that Disney, being one of the biggest supporters of Blu-ray, wouldn't prefer to have Kingdom Hearts III on PS3. Finally, it assumes that Square Enix wouldn't be able to reason with Disney by pointing out the insignificant difference the console choice makes on overall sales and profits or by agreeing to release a remake/side-story/spin-off on the Wii seperate from KHIII.

Seihyouken said:

Square Enix's distaste for the Wii is almost palpable. 

Oh God... You do know what'll be coming at ya now, don't you...? XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

If KH3 isn't even out for 2-3 years from now (2011-2012 release date) then it's pretty likely it could be on Wii 2/HD for all we know. 

"HD consoles" could very well include a Wii successor in addition to the PS3/360 by that time. 

Around the Network

Neverthless, by the time Versus XIII will be done it'll be 2011. KH3 in 2013? on a 65mln PS3 userbase and a god knows how much Wii userbase?

Let's discuss this in 3 years guys =P

dp

If its 2013, lol, will anyone really even care about this franchise any more? 

But by then yeah I'd say it's a virtual certainty Wii HD will be out and maybe even XBox 720. 

If Square-Enix is smart they should be working on KH: Birth By Sleep for the Wii in addition to the PSP right now. 

You're just leaving a ton of money on the table by not doing that. 

Also I think the suits at Square-Enix are starting to take more control of things. No doubt the FF13 360 decision came from them, you can't just put huge budget productions on one 1/4th of the market because one of your designers has a man crush on Sony. 

That's an idiotic way to run a business and I think you can see it changing, even the S-E president said in the future they will pursue more of a multiplatform philosophy. 

Wii. Pretty obvious.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

This generation, I see a Wii exclusive.