By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are people upset the blockbusters are on the HD Consoles?

leo-j said:
@exnoctem

The wii has 48 percent of the market, the rest is for the HD consoles, maybe thats why the games arent on the wii? Because on HD consoles you get masterpieces with amazing visuals, and addictive online, that sells extreemly well on its own(add a pc version and your set).

Actually common sense would be to make games like the ones that sell extreemly well on the wii, wii play, wii fit, wii music starting to climb, guitar hero, those casual oriented games.

Selling millions, common sense, why make a block buster hit on the wii? When you can make another carnival games and it will sell millions? And take less $$ to make it?

This thread is entitled "why people are upset that blockbusters are on HD consoles". That is the topic i replied to.

The Topic you are trying to debate with me is "Why should these game come out on Wii", that is not was this thread is about. This thread is also not about "what HD consoles can do over the Wii" and Its not about what kind of games "sell well on Wii". You should go to a different topic if you want to argue those points.

And for the record i will state my point again(and state it using my own perspective this time). It can be frustrating to see millions of dollars pumped into the second and third place consoles. I would MUCH rather play games for my current console instead of spending hundreds to buy another one. Granted exclusive games will always exist and im cool with that... but watching companies put out good games for the other consoles and make crap for mine can suck. Allow me to say though that im not "upset the blockbusters..."etc. but the logic as to why one would be upset is pretty obvious, just use some perspective.

F@ck Ubisoft and their commitment to Wii shovelware.

Around the Network

If I were a game developer, I would make the most amazing games on Wii- for cheap too. That's what I want to see on Wii new IP's not gimped PS360 ports.

Squilliam said:
Because once to factor in all the costs, the bigger the game the less the Wii "advantages" on overall cost are important.

1. Massive advertisement; You have to advertise as much if not more than HD games to target the wider demographic of users on the Wii.

2. The cost/benifit ratio still applies; Why spend $10,000,000 making a Wii game look good when for an extra $10,000,000 the game will look 5* better?

3. Overall cost ratios come down and favour HD development more as your overall budget increases. Wii $10,000,000 game + $10,000,000 advertisement vs HD $20,000,000 game + $10,000,000 advertisement and the ratio is 2:3.

4. Easier to target demographics and advertising + word of mouth very easy to do with the HD community. The demographics they target for these games are deep, wide and easy to get to within the HD owner userbase. Also never underestimate the power of word of mouth selling games, especially within Xbox Live

1. I'd like to see evidence to support this. The only advertising budget I'm familiar with was $20 million for Lost Planet on Xbox 360. Anecdotally, I do not see more Wii advertising than HD advertising.

3. Except that a blockbuster HD game tends to cost more to develop. Lost Planet cost $20 million and GTA IV cost $100 million, as examples. The highest known budget for a Wii game is $10 million for Red Steel (which I have no idea how they spent that much on that game). Of course, Gears of War was done for $10 million as well, but generally speaking, you can do a blockbuster for less on Wii, because it doesn't require as many art assets.

Ultimately, though, I don't totally disagree with the OP. I think HD consoles are well-suited to blockbusters; maybe more so than Wii. That said, I think Malstrom may be right that the blockbuster system is being disrupted by Wii. The Wii had no blockbuster games this holiday (unless you count Animal Crossing or maybe Guitar Hero and Rock Band) yet it outsold the competition with ease.

Why does it bother people?  Two reasons: One is that we're totally jealous.  The other is that it makes no sense for companies to be putting more money and effort into less popular consoles.

aavidbacon said:
Not quite true.
If you´re a 3party dev, then most of you games are multiplat. Most of the multiplat that also are designed for wii, flop on wii(unless they are for children or are party games). So usually big blockbusters like GTAIV are PS360 only. To Rockstar the Hd userbase work as one. So for multiplat games, it works making PS360 exclusive, because they sell very well. Wii only sells Nintendo. Take a look at the best 3rd party title on wii, it doens´t come close to GTA.
Why would a dev make a exclusive to wii to sell 2-3mln LTD if he can make a PS360 title that sells 6mln.

B

I

N

G

O

Nintendo is destroying the industry!

When PS60 get price cut, Wii is through.

Wii Fit!!????

Nintendo is abandoning the hardcore!

When this game comes out, THEN the PS360 will take off!

Nintendo not serious about online.

Wii is just a party machine.

Wii sells because it is cheap.

Pachter says…

Nintendo milks profit due to inferior hardware!

Gamecube started well at first too…

Wii is a fad!

FREE

LOL minigames!!1!

PS3 is on a ten year plan.

Wii is two Gamecube systems put together by duct tape!

Argh!!! Non-games!!!1!!!

Wii-mote is a gimmick.

Stupid casual gamers!

Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems.

When HD adoption rate goes up, Wii is finished.

Who cares about Wii sales? All the real games are on PS60!

Where are the third parties? LOL!

VC is overpriced rom dump!

What happens when people get bored of Wii Sports?

People shold really leave the joke posts to rol, he does a better job of filling up the bingo boad.

Also we need to update this thing.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

All you have to do is ... look at sales. On the Wii, 1st party dominates sales. On the 360 and PS3, it's all about 3rd party. Folks defending the Wii tout the 48 percent market share and the like, but look at what's selling like hot cakes. WiiSports, WiiPlay, WiiFit and Mario. I would love to see a 3rd party develop a game with the Wii as the lead console and see the results. If - and that's a big if - if it's a hit, I and a lot of folks on this site are wrong. But I do think the folks fueling the Wii's success aren't your typical gamer and would be willing to buy games that are fun, not graphic powerhouses. The Wii proved gameplay, not graphics, often move systems.

Around the Network

I will give credit to the HD fanboys about 3rd party games not selling on Wii when we get an equal version on the Wii.

So far every game that has made good use of Wii controls or balance board, and has all the features of 360/PS3 versions, sell more on wii.

And blockbusters are defined as games that sell the most obviously, if they didn't sell they wouldn't be blockbusters, Nintendo has more blockbusters than either the 360 or PS3.

madskillz said:
All you have to do is ... look at sales. On the Wii, 1st party dominates sales. On the 360 and PS3, it's all about 3rd party. Folks defending the Wii tout the 48 percent market share and the like, but look at what's selling like hot cakes. WiiSports, WiiPlay, WiiFit and Mario. I would love to see a 3rd party develop a game with the Wii as the lead console and see the results. If - and that's a big if - if it's a hit, I and a lot of folks on this site are wrong. But I do think the folks fueling the Wii's success aren't your typical gamer and would be willing to buy games that are fun, not graphic powerhouses. The Wii proved gameplay, not graphics, often move systems.

Check out Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and LEGO ____ sales.

If it's kid-friendly or involves music, it will probably sell more on Wii (until Microsoft adds it to a bundle).

I think more genres are to follow, but not enough developers are taking serious stabs at them.  Given RE 4, Metroid Prime 3 and Red Steel, why has nobody tried an exclusive fantasy (not war simulation!) FPS on the Wii?  It will be interesting to see how the Conduit sells...

ph4nt said:
I will give credit to the HD fanboys about 3rd party games not selling on Wii when we get an equal version on the Wii.

So far every game that has made good use of Wii controls or balance board, and has all the features of 360/PS3 versions, sell more on wii.

And blockbusters are defined as games that sell the most obviously, if they didn't sell they wouldn't be blockbusters, Nintendo has more blockbusters than either the 360 or PS3.

Call of duty! BAM!

Aj_habfan said:
ph4nt said:

Call of duty! BAM!

Calll of Duty Wii is still a gimped version.

madskillz said:

I want to see good Wii games more than you!!!

Actually I would love to see a few good/hopefully great/even more hopefully genre defining WRPGs on the Wii. I think it would be perfect for it all things considered. Its the reason why I feel a hole inside every time I look at the current Wii library.

Tease.