By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo can't say anything during GDC now. :(

fishmaphone: oooo...i like your reasoning. makes strategic business sense. thumbs up!

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Around the Network

Well, it's what they've been doing for some time now, and to great effect. I mean, do you remember when they announced the wii-mote? September '05. I think it was the 15th. What was everyone talking about for the rest of September? Nintendo. Microsoft had a console almost ready for the shelves... Sony was *supposed* to be only 6 months behind Microsoft... but they had already talked themselves to death the previous May. Nintendo may have lost E3 '05, but it wasn't by that wide a margin, and they *definitely* won the post-Katrina depression. Took some of the wind out of Microsoft's sails. Then at E3 '06, what did Nintendo do? They made the biggest announcement of E3 a full week before the event actually kicked off. A full week when Sony and Microsoft had to sit idly by while everyone made penis jokes and gave Nintendo free publicity. And Nintendo DOMINATED E3 '06. Nintendo's smart. They play by their rules, they don't let the industry tell them when to say when.

fishamaphone said: Well, it's what they've been doing for some time now, and to great effect. I mean, do you remember when they announced the wii-mote? September '05. I think it was the 15th. What was everyone talking about for the rest of September? Nintendo. Microsoft had a console almost ready for the shelves... Sony was *supposed* to be only 6 months behind Microsoft... but they had already talked themselves to death the previous May. Nintendo may have lost E3 '05, but it wasn't by that wide a margin, and they *definitely* won the post-Katrina depression. Took some of the wind out of Microsoft's sails. Then at E3 '06, what did Nintendo do? They made the biggest announcement of E3 a full week before the event actually kicked off. A full week when Sony and Microsoft had to sit idly by while everyone made penis jokes and gave Nintendo free publicity. And Nintendo DOMINATED E3 '06. Nintendo's smart. They play by their rules, they don't let the industry tell them when to say when.
They kinda got blindsided when Sony "stole" the motion sensing thing and tacked it on the sixaxis.

I didn't realize it until now after looking at the source of this info that this wasn't Nintendo's choice, this is a gag order pending a mass stock trade. Interesting. Now looking at everything with Miyamoto speaking it's kind of a bummer as he tends to open up with interesting tid bits. I'm sure he'll be keeping quite due to legal issues. I just hope whatever news they have is released at a press conference as soon as the trade is finished. But nintendo tends to like to hype e3 they usually start leaking tidbits of stuff in April and come E3 they show off all kinds of stuff. I wonder how this will work with the all new E3

Nintendo's great PR and powers to manuplate the 'not so smart masses' Sure did a good job on the N64 and GameCube.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: Nintendo's great PR and powers to manuplate the 'not so smart masses' Sure did a good job on the N64 and GameCube.
Those were aimed at the "mainstream gamers", not the mainstream.

fooflexible said: I didn't realize it until now after looking at the source of this info that this wasn't Nintendo's choice, this is a gag order pending a mass stock trade. Interesting. Now looking at everything with Miyamoto speaking it's kind of a bummer as he tends to open up with interesting tid bits. I'm sure he'll be keeping quite due to legal issues. I just hope whatever news they have is released at a press conference as soon as the trade is finished. But nintendo tends to like to hype e3 they usually start leaking tidbits of stuff in April and come E3 they show off all kinds of stuff. I wonder how this will work with the all new E3
Indeed, it's very serious stuff. They need to shut up, lest they are accused of insider trading.

Someting to consider: Does everyone remember the week before E3. It was the week that Nintendo announced the name for their new console. The internet was abuzz. The late night talk shows were laughing at the name. Everyone was up in arms. I for one was hoping the whole thing was just simply a great viral marketing campaign. Alas, I was wrong. But was I? While everyone may have been laughing at Nintendo that week, the fact of the matter was that they were talking about Nintendo for a week. In one week the whole world knew what the name of Nintendo's new system would be. My point is that a seeming PR tragedy turned into something altogether different. So Nintendo has a gag order. And we are talking about it. We are talking about the fact that they can't talk. And that is what will be in the press, too. "This just in from GDC Sony is upgradeing... blahblahblahblahblah And micrsoft is... blahblahblah" And Nintendo were not allowed to say anything because they are restructuring their shares on the heels of the amazingly successful launch of the Wii and the continued success of the DS. I don't want this to sound like a fanboy rant. All I'm saying is that Nintendo is the press darling right now. Even the worst PR fiascos have a way of turning sunny side up for Reggie and Co.