By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales only 6 months behind xbox360

Nice logic, but the 360 had a huge sales spike from when it had the price cut, so it will be very hard for the PS3 to still only be 6 months behind in 6 months

Around the Network

lol at this thread
how pathetic

demacII said:
It is all speculation at this point. Sony;s choice to not be competitive this season could cost them the generation. The media is picking up on the falling sales (in comparison) and if things don't change quick Sony may not be able to recover. We all know what happens when the media makes an issue out of something "Economy".

after all the shit that been thrown at sony since the launch of ps3 AND they got through all of it, i really dont think sony give a shit what else is being thrown at them cause they will yet again come through.

The PS3 is about 3 million ahead of where MS was at this point in the 360's lifetime, so it is not doing bad. At some point though, it needs to start making up the gap if it wants to finish in second place.

The gap is pretty meaningless now anyway. This generation's winner has already been decided. Developers need the sales for both Sony and MS platforms when developing HD games. Developers are going Wii or PS360. That will not change if the 360 finished 10M ahead of the PS3, or 10M behind.

DrDread said:

I was just looking at the weekly hardware sales charts :

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?weekly=1

... and It was pointed out to me today that the current units sold of PS3s worlwide are about 18.8 million. Xbox360 hit 18.8 million almost exactly six months ago. So I suppose you can say PS3 sales are only 6 months behind the XBox360, however, PS3 came out more then a year after the XBox360 did.

Does this stand to reason that PS3 has closed the gap in the lead XBox had in sales by half since they have been out? Is it also looking like PS3 will overtake the XBox within a year or two at this rate?

PS3 was outselling XBox for a long while until recently, the last few months, which might be attributed to the XBox price drop (The Drive hack probably helped to). I feel XBox will continue to outsell until probably next year when the PS3 will most likely have it's own big price drop, but do you think XBox will drop price again?. Are the prices going to go any lower then $200 for the next gen systems anytime soon? PS2 still sell for over $100

I give you full marks for bringing a new angle to this long standing debate.  While flawed, it's at least a unique perspective.

To truly see the gap, we shall look at the sale gap at PS3 launch and today.

PS3 launch Nov 2006 - 5,274,069
Gap as of current sales - 7,674,943

As you can see, the gap has actually expanded by 2,400,874 in the X360's favor.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
DrDread said:

... and It was pointed out to me today that the current units sold of PS3s worlwide are about 18.8 million. Xbox360 hit 18.8 million almost exactly six months ago. So I suppose you can say PS3 sales are only 6 months behind the XBox360, however, PS3 came out more then a year after the XBox360 did.

Does this stand to reason that PS3 has closed the gap in the lead XBox had in sales by half since they have been out? Is it also looking like PS3 will overtake the XBox within a year or two at this rate?

PS3 was outselling XBox for a long while until recently, the last few months, which might be attributed to the XBox price drop (The Drive hack probably helped to). I feel XBox will continue to outsell until probably next year when the PS3 will most likely have it's own big price drop, but do you think XBox will drop price again?. Are the prices going to go any lower then $200 for the next gen systems anytime soon? PS2 still sell for over $100

The big issue with saying that 'oh, it's 6 months behind' is the fact that the next 6 months for the X360 saw massive, rapid increases in sales due to the price drop and Christmas.

The better way to gauge it will be to see how long it's going to take the Playstation 3 to hit the X360's current number of 26.8 million consoles. I tend to think that, given typical yearly trends, that it's going to take a bit longer than 6 months to reach the near-27m install base of the X360.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Viper1 said:
DrDread said:

I give you full marks for bringing a new angle to this long stnading debate.  While flawed, it's at least a unique perspective.

To truly see the gap, we shall look at the sale gap at PS3 and today.

I was thinking the same thing... that's the kind of spin even Sony PR can't pull out of their butts... someone should get hired

Viper1 said:
DrDread said:

I give you full marks for bringing a new angle to this long stnading debate.  While flawed, it's at least a unique perspective.

Thank you Viper,  you saved me the trouble.

mrstickball said:
DrDread said:

The big issue with saying that 'oh, it's 6 months behind' is the fact that the next 6 months for the X360 saw massive, rapid increases in sales due to the price drop and Christmas.

The better way to gauge it will be to see how long it's going to take the Playstation 3 to hit the X360's current number of 26.8 million consoles. I tend to think that, given typical yearly trends, that it's going to take a bit longer than 6 months to reach the near-27m install base of the X360.

To further expand upon this point, let's take the sales rate of the PS3 just prior to the holidays and apply it until we reach the X360's current install base.   Now this should work in the PS3's favor as the early months of the year are usually the slowest so I'm giving it some solid sales cusion here.

The pace was about 150k per week.  7,674,943 / 150k = 51.16 weeks.  Obviously the PS3 will have higher sales than the 150k average in the latter few weeks given that it would extend again into the holiday season so we're looking at late fall. 

That makes it closer to 10-11 months away from achieving the X360's current install base, not 6 months.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Cueil said:
Viper1 said:
DrDread said:

I was thinking the same thing... that's the kind of spin even Sony PR can't pull out of their butts... someone should get hired

But when you combine the fact that PS3 is $200 more expensinve it just becomes one of those: