By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is Microsoft losing some serious ground to Apple???

scottie said:
Those of you who claim that Imac's are more expensive must stop. Or you must actually try to justify your opinion.

Yes, there is no 'low end' Mac. You could argue that the cheapest PC is $299 and the cheapest Mac is $799, as comrade tovya attempted to. But that's just not a valid comparison.

So we must compare an off the shelf Mac with a PC of the same cost (yes, I know PC's can be built from scratch, but that comes with several disadvantages, and few people do it)

We must also take into account that new deals for PC's come out every day, whereas a Mac product line is upgraded a couple of times a year. Because we all here are smart enough to only buy a Mac computer just after it has received upgrades or a price cut, then we can only do comparisons just after a Mac product line has received an upgrade

We must also take into account that a computer running Vista home basic will run slower than a Mac with the same stats, and has considerably fewer features. Running Vista Ultimate + Google Desktop has almost as many features as the Mac OS, but runs much slower.

Mac computers also have a higher build quality than many PC brands, so you cannot compare the cheapest brand of PC based computers to Apple computers.

In conclusion. Mac computers are as cheap as equivalent PCs, but there is no low priced but underpowered and underfeatured model

Alright, I am willing to give Macs some credit, but the amount of assumptions you have just made in your post is just plain ludicrous.  The average person does no research whatsoever when it comes to computers.  Take 1/20th of your knowledge about computers, and that is what the average person walks in to a store and buys a computer with.

People do not pay attention to when upgrades and new versions, etc. are coming out.  People want their product now.  You are giving the average person way too much credit.

And you completely lost me when you said that we should somehow ignore $300 computers.  For what the average person uses a computer for, a $300 computer can do everything they need and more.  I don't understand at all how you can just claim that we should just ignore these.  These cheap ass computers are always what fly off the shelves at Black Friday and when they are on sale.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Actually, you're right, one of my two points

"most people don't build their own computers"
or
"people should only buy mac computers just after the upgrade"

Needs to be removed, depending on if we're talking about mass market appeal or appeal to nerds.

And for the $299 thing, People often say things like

"Entry Level PC: $299.00
Entyy Level Mac: $799.00"

When it is just as valid to compare

Entry Level Burger: $5.00
Entyy Level PC: $299.00 (whatever entyy is)

But this does not mean Macs are bad value, just that they don't offer a basic option (and if you just want something to word process and surf the net, then a Mac probably isn't for you, and I suggest Xubuntu)

^ Netbooks have been selling like hotcakes, as a matter of fact, it helped to outsell home pcs this year. And I agree if the average person know so much, why can't they build their own computer?

rocketpig said:
I love these threads. Watching people senselessly bash Apple is always hilarious.

I'm a Mac user. I use them because of my profession (design) and because they're stable, reliable computers I don't have to tinker with. After running IT for a 25 computer network operated by chimps for a few years, that means a lot to me.

With that said, all my Windows systems have always been stable (minus the occasional Win98 hiccup back in the day). If you're not a bloody retard, it's a good operating system. Vista included.

They're just companies. Both make fine products that may or may not cater to your needs. If one of them doesn't, it doesn't mean that company is somehow inferior.

Grow up.

Do you really think this is going to help? After being a mod on a video-game forum for a while, you should realize people like bashing things :P

(BTW, I don't fit into that pile of stupid bashers, do I? I only posted facts really)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

scottie said:
Actually, you're right, one of my two points

"most people don't build their own computers"
or
"people should only buy mac computers just after the upgrade"

Needs to be removed, depending on if we're talking about mass market appeal or appeal to nerds.

And for the $299 thing, People often say things like

"Entry Level PC: $299.00
Entyy Level Mac: $799.00"

When it is just as valid to compare

Entry Level Burger: $5.00
Entyy Level PC: $299.00 (whatever entyy is)

But this does not mean Macs are bad value, just that they don't offer a basic option (and if you just want something to word process and surf the net, then a Mac probably isn't for you, and I suggest Xubuntu)

I never said that Macs were a bad value... I really like Macs personally.  I'm also big into graphics and video editing, and everyone knows that the Mac is superior at this.

My comment was directed at the average user.  The average user will spend less rather than more in most cases, and it goes without saying that the PC costs less, and hence it's adoption rate will probably remain higher for the foreseeable future.

Therefore, my statement has nothing to do with value and quality and everything to do with basic price.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya