By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is Microsoft losing some serious ground to Apple???

Comrade Tovya said:
^^ I think they did try to make Vista awesome (it does have some great features) but they did the same thing that MS always does... release a lightly tested & half-completed product. Vista wasn't ready when it was released, and that hurt them severely.

that explains why bill gates said he wish he could polish windows vista more. he was asked wat product he made that he wished he could have polished more. he said windows vista. its on a video on youtube, not sure if its still up though.

Around the Network

Vista isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. And I don't even like Microsoft. I do hate Apple though.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Fuck apple! I hope that company dies! Man, Aplle sucks in my opinion.
I had two ipods break on me and my third one still works. (surprised)

No, MS sold a record number of PCs this year, so I don't expect Apple to outsell/challenge Ms, especially when W7 hits. Furthermore, macs are still far too pricey, and you're locked into their hardware, which sucks. If Mac made an OS for everyone than maybe MS would be in trouble, until then, we shouldn't expect much.

there new tv ads are awful as well

Around the Network

Apple are a highly profitable company, they don't need to have the majority market share. Infact it would be pretty impossible since they only sell the os on apple hardware. I like their approach and I use their software widely but it is inherently niche.

Apple computers are for women and small children. PC FTW

I still see three major problems for Apple:

- In the companies or at school, it's nearly impossible to find a mac, every computers are PC's and you know how it works: I work with a PC at work/school / I'll buy a PC cause I already know how it works / Oh everybody's using PC's so I'll equip my company/school with PC's etc etc etc

- Then the price, mac's are so expensive despite the fact that there is almost nothing in their computer. You pay for the image, not for the product.

- Third: I think that people recently changed their mind about apple's products: people finally realized that apple's products are low quality. I already had 3 Ipods, they all broke after 6 months (and I take care of my stuff) ... More and more people are complaining about that ...

I don't think I'll ever buy Ipod again. It's funny tough cause my brother (he's 16) is saving money to buy an Iphone (600€ in my country), I told him that other cellphones were as good as the Iphone but much cheaper but you know how youngs are ...

I love these threads. Watching people senselessly bash Apple is always hilarious.

I'm a Mac user. I use them because of my profession (design) and because they're stable, reliable computers I don't have to tinker with. After running IT for a 25 computer network operated by chimps for a few years, that means a lot to me.

With that said, all my Windows systems have always been stable (minus the occasional Win98 hiccup back in the day). If you're not a bloody retard, it's a good operating system. Vista included.

They're just companies. Both make fine products that may or may not cater to your needs. If one of them doesn't, it doesn't mean that company is somehow inferior.

Grow up.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Those of you who claim that Imac's are more expensive must stop. Or you must actually try to justify your opinion.

Yes, there is no 'low end' Mac. You could argue that the cheapest PC is $299 and the cheapest Mac is $799, as comrade tovya attempted to. But that's just not a valid comparison.

So we must compare an off the shelf Mac with a PC of the same cost (yes, I know PC's can be built from scratch, but that comes with several disadvantages, and few people do it)

We must also take into account that new deals for PC's come out every day, whereas a Mac product line is upgraded a couple of times a year. Because we all here are smart enough to only buy a Mac computer just after it has received upgrades or a price cut, then we can only do comparisons just after a Mac product line has received an upgrade

We must also take into account that a computer running Vista home basic will run slower than a Mac with the same stats, and has considerably fewer features. Running Vista Ultimate + Google Desktop has almost as many features as the Mac OS, but runs much slower.

Mac computers also have a higher build quality than many PC brands, so you cannot compare the cheapest brand of PC based computers to Apple computers.

In conclusion. Mac computers are as cheap as equivalent PCs, but there is no low priced but underpowered and underfeatured model