By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - History in the Making... Wii Sports to become #1 Sold Videogame of All Time

Sky Render said:
Esa-Petteri said:
shams said:
WiiSports deserves it. Its still the best game on the Wii - easily.

Best game, hands down - and it deserves it easily.

Really? I would have thought that there are at least some better games on wii.

If you know of another game that's resulted in anywhere near as many people taking interest in the system as Wii Sports has, then please do inform us.

Oh now I see, it is the best because it "sells" a lot? Don't know about that, I don't give a crap if "average joe" likes big macs or wii sports. But hey, whatever makes you feel better. :)

Around the Network

awesome

Esa-Petteri said:
Sky Render said:
Esa-Petteri said:
shams said:

If you know of another game that's resulted in anywhere near as many people taking interest in the system as Wii Sports has, then please do inform us.

Oh now I see, it is the best because it "sells" a lot? Don't know about that, I don't give a crap if "average joe" likes big macs or wii sports. But hey, whatever makes you feel better. :)

Yes, how ridiculous of me to gauge success by something that can actually be measured. Clearly I should have chosen a "quality" standard (and there are so many to choose from!), and gone by that. What ever was I thinking, using logic and reason when I could be using rationalization and emotion instead? Thank you for showing me the error of my ways, my good man. Henceforth I shall abandon all clear thought in favor of acting on short-sighted personal wants!

...Oh dear, I've blown up another Sarcasm Meter. I do seem to run through those...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Sky Render said:
Esa-Petteri said:
shams said:

Yes, how ridiculous of me to gauge success by something that can actually be measured. Clearly I should have chosen a "quality" standard (and there are so many to choose from!), and gone by that. What ever was I thinking, using logic and reason when I could be using rationalization and emotion instead? Thank you for showing me the error of my ways, my good man. Henceforth I shall abandon all clear thought in favor of acting on short-sighted personal wants!

...Oh dear, I've blown up another Sarcasm Meter. I do seem to run through those...

Don't worry, it is perfectly ok. A lot of people think that what sells a lot is good. You could do worse and look at the review scores. That is a smaller group of people, after all. Don't mind that reviewers usually know something about games.

Hell yeah! To celebrate I think I'll play some SMB and some Wii Sports today. Two of the greatest games of all time, and their high sales give me faith in this pathetic industry that normally rewards mediocrity with critical acclaim.

Around the Network

Excellent. Certainly it is well deserved. I think I may just copy you there Rubang.......I've suddenly got an urge.

I for one am glad for this, that game is truly special and deserves all the credit it receives, it is the total embodiment of the code name "revolution" It also shows that our industry is still growing, which is good for all gamers. Some people need to stop the bull shit and accept reality for what it is. "Wii Sports #1 selling game of all time" has a nice ring to it.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

For those doubters, and those saying "oh, its bundled!"...

Here are the sales in Japan - compared to Final Fantasy X & Dragon Quest VIII - two of the biggest sellers in Japan for the last 10+ years:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Wii+Sports+-+Wii&reg2=Japan&game2=Final+Fantasy+X+-+PS2&reg3=Japan&game3=Dragon+Quest+VIII+-+PS2&weeks=146

Its still behind DQ - but not for long. I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks 4m in Japan before this generation is over.

In the purest sense, a "game" is something that anyone should be able to play. This is where WiiSports succeeds far beyond pretty much every other game ever released - maybe every other game. I have no doubt, this is the title that has made the Wii a success.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Esa-Petteri said:
Sky Render said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Sky Render said:
Esa-Petteri said:
shams said:

Don't worry, it is perfectly ok. A lot of people think that what sells a lot is good. You could do worse and look at the review scores. That is a smaller group of people, after all. Don't mind that reviewers usually know something about games.

Which is always true...unless they disagree with you about a game, then they are fucking idiots that don't know jack about games, they have lost all credibility and who listens to reviews anyway, you're supposed to read the words not pay attention to the numbers, stupid IGN and gamespot blah blah blah. Fanboys will always choose whichever side is convenient at the moment and turn in a heartbeat when the situation has changed.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

^^ here is another Japan graph - comparing to FF VII & DQ VII (both sold more than the ones I picked above):

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Wii+Sports+-+Wii&reg2=Japan&game2=Final+Fantasy+VII+-+PS&reg3=Japan&game3=Dragon+Quest+VII+-+PS&weeks=146

WiiSports has outsold FFVII in Japan - but is still a good 800k away from DQVII (PS).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099