By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - History in the Making... Wii Sports to become #1 Sold Videogame of All Time

BTFeather55 said:
No More Heroes deserves to be bundled.

No way - the game is shallow and repetitive. I also don't believe it would have help shift 40m plus consoles to date. Personally I think that wi sports can easily claim 40% of system sales and by the end of this sales generation would have overtaken SMB on that basis.

Around the Network

Many film critics thought sound was going to destroy cinema, and now we laugh at them for being so wrong. They thought that if people used dialogue to communicate, they would stop using facial expressions in extreme close-ups to convey their emotions, which was a main draw for some of the big films and big stars. Actors were known for how well they could express emotion with the most subtle facial moves, and now they're known more for the way they control their voice than their face. If you've watched many silent films you can see the huge difference in acting style, but it didn't destroy cinema at all. Both acting styles have good and horrible examples.

Every change to an art form is greeted with whiners who feel the new stuff doesn't count and is a threat to the art form. There are still filmmakers who hate video and think working with video is an insult to the cinema.

The dawn of casual games is no different, but traditional games won't be reduced to the small niche silent films were.

And Wii Sports will be considered by the majority to be the world's best selling game, and won't have an asterix. It will be the highest number on the list, and that's what everybody's going to see for a very long time.

EssosDeeos said:
BTFeather55 said:

No way - the game is shallow and repetitive. I also don't believe it would have help shift 40m plus consoles to date. Personally I think that wi sports can easily claim 40% of system sales and by the end of this sales generation would have overtaken SMB on that basis.

You are now officially enemies with about 90% of the Wii owners on this site who have played this game.

Wii Sports is shallow and repetitive. I don't think I have played it more than 10 hours total and I have had my Wii for 2 years.

Snesboy said:
EssosDeeos said:
BTFeather55 said:

You are now officially enemies with about 90% of the Wii owners on this site who have played this game.

Wii Sports is shallow and repetitive. I don't think I have played it more than 10 hours total and I have had my Wii for 2 years.

He's allowed his opinion.

I would argue that Wii Sports is not shallow. There is a lot of depth to how one can play those games, especially baseball and tennis.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Many film critics thought sound was going to destroy cinema, and now we laugh at them for being so wrong. They thought that if people used dialogue to communicate, they would stop using facial expressions in extreme close-ups to convey their emotions, which was a main draw for some of the big films and big stars. Actors were known for how well they could express emotion with the most subtle facial moves, and now they're known more for the way they control their voice than their face. If you've watched many silent films you can see the huge difference in acting style, but it didn't destroy cinema at all. Both acting styles have good and horrible examples.

Every change to an art form is greeted with whiners who feel the new stuff doesn't count and is a threat to the art form. There are still filmmakers who hate video and think working with video is an insult to the cinema.

The dawn of casual games is no different, but traditional games won't be reduced to the small niche silent films were.

And Wii Sports will be considered by the majority to be the world's best selling game, and won't have an asterix. It will be the highest number on the list, and that's what everybody's going to see for a very long time.

WOW.  You are comparing implementing sound into films to Wii sports?  You're being a drama queen. Remind me to never, ever respect your opinion again.

Around the Network
kabhold said:

WOW.  You are comparing implementing sound into films to Wii sports?  You're being a drama queen. Remind me to never, ever respect your opinion again.

He's talking about motion controls, not this one specific implementation of them. Just like the ability to move across a scrolling level, as opposed to just Super Mario Bros.

Khuutra said:
kabhold said:

WOW.  You are comparing implementing sound into films to the Wii?  You're being a drama queen. Remind me to never, ever respect your opinion again.

He's talking about motion controls, not this one specific implementation of them. Just like the ability to move across a scrolling level, as opposed to just Super Mario Bros.

OK.  ill edit.  Same deal though.

kabhold said:

It's not actually that unfair a comparison. We've all heard quite a few people talking about how they would get out of gaming if all games went the motion control route, right?

He's really just saying that people are afraid of change.

Khuutra said:
kabhold said:

It's not actually that unfair a comparison. We've all heard quite a few people talking about how they would get out of gaming if all games went the motion control route, right?

I'm not going to argue this.  I have read many posts by you.  You seem to be a very bright person.  If you disagree with me my opinion of you will not change. BUT I ask you... 

Do you really think it is a fair comparison.  The implementation of sound in films vs. the Wii.?

Next question: Who's afraid of the Wii?  Skeptical... maybe.  The wii's controls if done right are fun but.......eh im going to bed. good night. :)

EDIT- I'm drunk and I need sleep

kabhold said:
Khuutra said:
kabhold said:

I'm not going to argue this.  I have read many posts by you.  You seem to be a very bright person.  If you disagree with me my opinion of you will not change. BUT I ask you... 

Do you really think it is a fair comparison.  The implementation of sound in films vs. the Wii.?

Next question: Who's afraid of the Wii?  Skeptical... maybe.  The wii's controls if done right are fun but.......eh im going to bed. good night. :)

EDIT- I'm drunk and I need sleep

Oh lord, in terms of affecting pop culture? God no, but that's because cinema back then was already way, way bigger than gaming is now. I agree it's not going to cause the same kind of uproar, no. Nothing like that.

But within our own narrow niche? Yeah, we might see just as big a change. Might is the key word here.

Basically I'll get back to you in ten years with an informed answer.

Have a good sleep.