By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - History in the Making... Wii Sports to become #1 Sold Videogame of All Time

Firs off people this game does not count. It is bundle with the Wii so it gets sales automatically even if the person did not want to buy the game. So if the Wii sales 1mill, then Wii sports will sell over 1Mill. So this game does not really count. If your looking at Wii recreation then that can be the most sold video game since you have to go out of your way to buy it.

Around the Network

sorry but i have to booooooo... people who compare this game to super mario brothers are fooling themselves. he only reason that game did not sell more is because nintendo pushed out 2 and 3 as pack ins unless nintendo seriously pushes out an amazing game like super mario brothers 3 as the pack in for the wii and it beats out theses games I do not acknowledge nintendo topping its self, I'm fine if kart dose it, or brawl. but not wii sports, wii fit, or wii play. they belong in another category like add-ons to better games.

I will say however despite my disbelief in these games, i am glad to see so many people getting into gaming and hope the venture into nintendos better games. Nintendo has always made it easy for people to move into gaming and its good to see the old king do well.

and as for hand helds GO new super mario GO

envious psp owner

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

kowenicki said:
@pyro FACT - nobody in the UK/US could avoid obtaining this game when they purchased their Wii. (Unless they) Wait until it was unbundled? import? Lets not be silly about this.

Yes, I agree.

You also agree that you are purchasing Wii Sports for around £30 when you purchase a Wii? Regardless of if you want to buy it or not.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I sometimes wonder how many people saying that SMB "deserves" the top spot more than Wii Sports actually realize that well over half the copies of SMB were sold bundled... You could not get a new NES without SMB included in the US until the Basic Set came out in 1987, and virtually nobody bought that because SMB was the reason why most people bought an NES. Not that PC gamers believed that, mind you; they almost all considered SMB to be an abomination and refused to acknowledge that anybody had actually bought the game, let alone bought an entire (and clearly inferior) computer system just to play it.

History, it repeats. In sad, tragic ways, since now it's the crowd which SMB spawned that won't accept the truth...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

To all those who are sad that SMB has been dethroned, I'd like to refer to something said time and again by the great hockey player Gordie Howe.

Any time one of his records has been broken there has been press wanting him to express regret or sorrow. He has always said (paraphrasing) "A player breaking my record doesn't take away from what I acheived. Nobody can take that away. And it would be far more sad if the game never progressed and my records stood forever, than for them to fall."

Wiisports passing SMB doesn't make SMB any less important.

But to those who want to dismiss WiiSports for whatever reason, take note of the huge impact SMB had on the industry and realise that WiiSports is likely going to have an even larger one; whether you think the sales "count" or not, 40 million people have copies of it in their home, and this number is going to grow substantially.

Around the Network

you cannot compare wii sports for solitaire. wii sports is one of the main reason for the wii success. solitaire has nothing to do with the success of computer. it just comes with windows. casual buy wii because of wii sports. if it wasnt for it the wii would have sold like the gamecube.

Angel_DwK said:
That's cool I hope next gen sony bundles a really bad game the entire gen and it becomes the best selling game ever and people start saying everyone is buying the ps4 because of the bad game even though most won't even realize the game comes with it and will only play it for a minute just to see what it is then take it out set it somewhere and buy a new game.

that would pwn.

Actually, I doubt that the PS4 is going to sell more than 40 million units, wether it'd be bundled with a bad game or not. So, i'm not sure how much that really would "pwn".

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

hallowedbeeddie said:
you cannot compare wii sports for solitaire. wii sports is one of the main reason for the wii success. solitaire has nothing to do with the success of computer. it just comes with windows. casual buy wii because of wii sports. if it wasnt for it the wii would have sold like the gamecube.

Yeah, it would be pretty pointless to compare solitaire and wii sports. People have played and enjoyed solitaire for a lot more hours than they have played wii sports. Solitaire must be better game?

Let's face it, if you count wii sports you should count solitaire too. Your reasoning to ignore a great game like solitaire just shows that you are a petty elitist?!

I would say it sold only 3 million, or whatever japan has it at. an amazing number nonetheless. If people had the choice to buy this optional though, those numbers would be less than half.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

This topic has become a textbook example of cognitive dissonance at work. Specifically, of how those unaware of it rationalize that it doesn't exist. Quick lesson: your taste does not equal the tastes of everybody else. Just because you personally do not like something does not mean it is bad. Just because you personally like something does not mean it is good.

Also, I thought this might be interesting: latest stats on Wii Sports play time from the Nintendo Channel!

Total: 53,931,564 hrs, 44,099,762 times
Per Person: 35hr32min, 29.06 times

Number of surveyed people: ~1,517,542

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.