By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why would Killzone 2 outsell Resistance 2 (or Resistance 1)?

Killzone 2 is getting hyped as some sort of PS3 savior.  One question on here even asked if the the XBox 360 could survive KZ2's "onslaught".  Anyone, can someone give any reason why Killzone 2 should have more sales than Resistance 2?  Please let me know where I am wrong regarding any of the following and if I missed anything:

1. At this point and time Resistance seems to be the flagship FPS for the PS3, already having two titles in the franchise.  Killzone appeared once on the PS2, and while had solid voice acting, didn't burn up the charts or make a difference.

2. Resistance 2 was promoted by Sony for the Christmas season.  KZ2 is to be released during an arguably slow time of the year.

3. KZ2 is the subject of industry jokes of how pre-rendered videos were marketed as actual gameplay.  This is an embarrassing stigma.  And while the latest clip looks promising, can anyone argue that it is "lightyears" beyond what was saw in Gears 2?

Given all these, can someone indicate why Killzone 2 would supplant the Resistance franchise as the flagship franchise and outsell it?  And, as far as being a gamechanger, a second question would be: Why would Killzone 2 happen to end up causing console FPS fans to buy a PS3 over a 360?  Is it because KZ2 is supposed to have bots?  Doesn't Gears 2 have bots?  I don't see it.  KZ2 is by some developer most of the world doesn't even know, while Halo had been by Bungie, and Gears by Epic, both of whom are known far more than the developer of Killzone.

Can someone answer these? And thus explain why KZ2 will outsell Resistance and also be a game changer to result in Sony getting an edge in games?

Around the Network

i dont the answer to ur question, but it'll be great owning both games

Resistance 2: check, got it
Killzone 2: not released, planning on gettin it.

either way its a win,win situation, R2 is an amazing game and Kill Zone 2 looks beautiful.

After having played the beta I can argue its light years ahead of gears 2 visually...

gameplay wise that R3 aiming isnt good, but its fun as heck online.

In any case, its going to sell because its miles more hyped than resistance 2 ever was, and if it gets good reviews, im sure it will outsell Resistance 2, maybe even R1..

R2 has sold 1 million copies to date, and its continuining to sell 120-180k a week world wide.

mM

Let me put it this way.

Resistance 1 & 2 were kind of like the sony flashing his muslces at people. You are kind like thats bad ass but at the sametime ehhhh...

Killzone 2 is kind of like lets have this ball of muclse lose and see what destruction he can cause. like letting a mutant tiger out of its cage. Chicago would be a play ground of destruction.

Because hope springs eternal, after KZ2 fails to sell 5 million copies a new magic game will become the PS3 savior just like LBP, R2, R&C, Uncharted, etc.

KZ2 will probably outsell R2 because R2 sales have been terrible (especially compared to CoD WaW PS3) while KZ2 will be releasing by itself without an even bigger shooter to steal its thunder.

Around the Network

@flagship

Stop trolling, all those games have sold really well, LBP is selling amazingly well at the moment, with 1.5million copies sold to date, Ratchet and clank over 1.4 million, Uncharted over 2.4 million, Resistance 2 isnt selling bad its sold 1 million copies to date.

The ps3 has an amazing gaming library, I hate it when people attack it because of its sales, even if its selling well.

mM

leo-j said:
After having played the beta I can argue its light years ahead of gears 2 visually...

In any case, its going to sell because its miles more hyped than resistance 2 ever was, and if it gets good reviews, im sure it will outsell Resistance 2, maybe even R1..

R2 has sold 1 million copies to date, and its continuining to sell 120-180k a week world wide.

Exactly, Killzone 2 was even considered one of the "fantastic 4 PS3 exclusives" back in 2006 (GT5, FF13, MGS4 and KZ2), and the hype began in 2005 when the infamous CGI-Trailer appeared...

In fact, this reminds me of a comic:

This is from 2PStart, ran by a Nintendo fan and a Sega fan... So almost everyone that followed E3 2005 knows about this title, and with the demo it's being hyped in almost every corner of the Internet... Resistance 2 has good sales, but being released at the same time as a CoD title (even if it's not made by Infinity Ward) is not the same as being released as the only PS3 FPS on February...

So i think Killzone 2 will outsell Resistance 2, but for me the only thing missing here is guess what??? SONY ADVERTISING!!!, this is the one thing that they must do for Killzone 2 (well, also pricecut but we know it isn't going to happen in February)...

leo-j said:

All you have to do is go into your controls manu and change the controls. In the beta, I used the one that simply swapped the melee and ironsights buttons (R3 and L1) and left everything else untouched.

On topic - This game has a ton of hype and it would seem that the game has been living up pretty well if it's been impressing people left and right by graphics and gameplay. What it's really going to need is some extreme marketing by Sony.

Killzone 2 is being hailed as the saviour because resistance 2 has done nowhere near what some people hoped for. If Killzone 2 fails there will be another shooter to replace it

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

The Anarchyz said:

leo-j said:

Exactly, Killzone 2 was even considered one of the "fantastic 4 PS3 exclusives" back in 2006 (GT5, FF13, MGS4 and KZ2), and the hype began in 2005 when the infamous CGI-Trailer appeared...

Resistance 2 has good sales, but being released at the same time as a CoD title (even if it's not made by Infinity Ward) is not the same as being released as the only PS3 FPS on February...

So i think Killzone 2 will outsell Resistance 2, but for me the only thing missing here is guess what??? SONY ADVERTISING!!!, this is the one thing that they must do for Killzone 2 (well, also pricecut but we know it isn't going to happen in February)...

It is the advertising angle that has myself wondering here.  Is Sony, in February, going to run Christmas level advertising for Killzone 2?  Is KZ2 merely going to get stuck in a montage of videos for other games as they hype the PS3?

I don't know if it will do that, so I am suspect on KZ2 being made out to be some sort of "game changing killer app" that will "bury Microsoft".