By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD undertracking, VGchartz overtracking, or a little of both?

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_Seventh_generation

The sales numbers are from the NPD and are dated as of November 2008.  What's going on? Vgchartz has millions more tracked than NPD does.

Enjoy

Around the Network

Good question.

canada and mexico

NPD is US only VGC is all of Americas

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

ah, I see, but that still seems like this website could still be a little high.

Enjoy

Around the Network
bodhi14 said:
ah, I see, but that still seems like this website could still be a little high.

Canada and mexico is like 10% of Americas numbers so take NPD's numbers and times them by 1.1.

After doing that it was like 600k + wii, 400k + 360 and 30k + Ps3. So it does seem like the numbers are a bit high but 1.1 is an exact science.

NPD does not track shipped, they track sold.

TWRoO said:
NPD does not track shipped, they track sold.

oh really? hmm, learn something new (new guy to sales figures) every day

Enjoy

NPD also tracks sold to consumers. For "sold to retailer" numbers we have to wait for the quaterly statements form the big 3.

As was mentioned, that wiki is probably NPD US only while VGC charts all of the Americas.

Additionally, several weeks of data have come in for VGC, while we'll still have to wait until the second week of January for December numbers from NPD.

Lastly, neither NPD nor VGC(nor any other tracking firm) covers 100%, and so they're both estimates. Which means they're unlikely exact and don't have to be identical, but should both give an accurate count.

NPD tracks sold to consumer as well. I did a quick check for the Wii numbers and VG is pretty close.

NPD lists 15.3 for Wii
Vg is currently at 20.03, then if you subtract the last 3 weeks of sales you get 17.69 for NA at the end of November. This number *0.9 = 15.92 million consoles and that is an error of 2.0%

I don't plan on doing any of the other consoles, but 2% error is negligible.