By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Killzone 2 suffer as Resistance 2 has? Prediction thread.

SpartanFX said:
kowenicki said:
@dmeisterj

Stop being contrary.. and have a dicsussion for a change

It surely WILL be one of the most expensive games ever. 4 and a half years development and it will be marketed big time. Im not knocking it, I just said i will be buying it day one. But it HAS to be huge otherwise it fails.

you are surely mistaken,,,it's some thing like 3 years and 2 months by the time the game releases.

beside sony invested in this game for oother studios aswell.It's not just for gurrilla .Sony will gi9ve the out come from this development to most of their first party studio.

Even less than that. Guerrila games were still working on Killzone: Liberation until the end of 2006. Killzone 2 was developed over the course of less than 3 years, which is pretty much the standard for most HD games.

Around the Network

What? Resistance 2 is a failure in sales compared to Resistance Fall of Man?

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Resistance+2+-+PS3&reg2=All&game2=Resistance%3A+Fall+of+Man+-+PS3&reg3=All&game3=Motorstorm+-+PS3&weeks=100

It's tracking 500k units higher.

Anyway, OT:

I think Killzone 2 will sell extremely well, partly because the uninformed gamer has no idea what the hell KZ1 is or that it exists, and because, well, it's pwnage. And it's an FPS. And it's not releasing near a CoD game. And because it's got amazing graphics. And because it supports 1080i/p (I think). And because Sony will advertise this, having spent some $20 million creating it.

First Week WW: 800k-1 million sales.

First Year WW: 3.5-4 million sales

LT or End of Gen: 4.5-5 million sales.

Optimistic? Extremely. But please don't compare this to LBP, a 2D "kiddy" platformer (I'm thinking like the uninformed gamer) or an FPS with amazing graphics?

EDIT: Now, why it's illogical to compare Killzone 2 to Resistance 2:

-R2 was launching in a game flood

-Killzone 2 is launching in a game drought

-More to the point, R2 launched in an FPS flood

-KZ2 launches in an FPS drought.

-Sony did not spend 4 years and $20 million developing R2, KZ2 will be advertised a LOT more. More than LBP.

-KZ2 is better than R2.

-KZ2 has better graphics. Graphics are a selling point on HD consoles.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

colonelstubbs said:
It will not be a huge hit, thats all im saying. Added up, maybe 750,000 first week, 3.5 lifetime

Yeah I agree with theses sales.

If Sony advertises it like CRAZY though, I think they could hit 1M first week.

It's worth noting that after a year, CoD4 was at around 3.7 million sales on a smaller userbase, and multiplat.

Its opening week was 444k, probably due to its less than decent prequel made by our good friends at Treyarch, but word of its awesomeness spread, and it is now at 3.85 million sales on PS3.

So what I am saying is: If it sells 600k first week, PLEASE don't make 10 million "KZ2 flops" threads. Because it won't.

Can you honestly tell me that, over a year after CoD4 is released, KZ2 can't at least match it?

CGI-Quality said:

@ Kantor

Interesting, I thought my numbers may have a stretch but yours stretched even further. Regardless, your numbers are still possible and I think with the right, reviews/marketing/word of mouth from the public, Killzone 2 will do either of our numbers. KZ2...HUGE?...Confirmed?...Think so!

Your numbers are extremely conservative, actually. I know for a fact it will make your numbers, what remains to be seen is whether it can make mine. I have confidence in Sony.

*Cue 5 billion "Why?" replies*

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
@reasonable

thats a fair point but it could be argued that the PS3 needs exclusives more than the 360 otherwsie its higher pricepoint becomes a burden.

If both consoles have the same games in the main why pay more for the PS3.

Agreed. The PS3 either needs more exclusives, or it needs to get more games in more genres.  Clearly it sells better where people want BR too.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Resistance+2+-+PS3®2=All&game2=Resistance%3A+Fall+of+Man+-+PS3®3=All&game3=&weeks=100

It looks like Resistance 2 is doing really well, especially considering all of the missing data for Others. I'm going to guess that Resistance 2 is going to see 4.5 million LTD and Killzone 2 about 6 million LTD. I can't make any guess as to how many copies Killzone 2 will sell in its first week, that's entirely up to Sony and their choice of advertising.

EDIT: I see that Kantor beat me to it.

Well if you brought CODWAW over Resistance 2, you made a huge mistake. i have both, codwaw sucks in almost every way. the campaign is boring and hard (i beat cod4 on hardened so don't say its just me, its the game, and gametrailers quoted that its not easy and you die often, proof its not me)

online isn't that good either with the exception of the zombie mode which i see myself getting tired of soon cause its extremely repeative. and every one of my friends both on PS3 and 360 agree CODWAW is nothing but a crappy game

Back to Topic- no Killzone 2 sales wont be affected by Fear or any other game, every single person i know with a ps3 is getting this game, and i mean everyone

Honestly, I don't think Killzone 2 will sell badly. Open up with strong numbers is different. This holiday season has showed me one thing, PS3 owners in general don't buy the game on launch, but PS3 owners will give the game good long legs. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells 600k or so WW (most of which coming from Europe) and then it goes on to sell 2 mil or so 1st year. I'm not sure about LTD but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to 3 mil or so.

KZ2 -> 500k first week, 2M LTD or 3M LTD if bundled