By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA up, 1 million freaking Wiis!!!!!!!!!

Paperdiego said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

This was expected. Nothing extraordinary here. All these growths should be expected.

Wii saw the smallest growth of all the machines.

Differences:

DS + 240K (34%)

Wii: + 250K (+ 33%)

X360: + 150K ( + 38%)

Ps3: + 60K (33%)

PsP:  + 80K ( + 37%)

PS: Wiistation60, you have the wrong numbers for X360.

fanboy much?

according to your numbers there wii wold 250k more than last week, excuse my math skills but isnt that a bigger growth than everything else(especially the closest competition whish only grew over last week as much as150k)?

What kind of fanboy am I? I'd love to be enlightened about it.

You can't just look at direct growths in units. A console selling 500,000 would (almost) always see a bigger growth during christmas than a console selling 50,000 units.

A relative (in %) growth is relatively fair. One should expect ~ 30-35% in growth for christmas. Thus, the Wii increase was expected, and shouldn't be as shocking as people believe.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

I bet this means some really nice software sales too, can't wait to see them.

Support good third party games on wii. Buy games like house of the dead overkill, de blob, madworld, the conduit and boom blox.

misterd said:
I'll wait for more official confirmation (remember VGC's 10% margin of error means Wii sales might "only" have been 900k), but this is astounding.

What is the record for single region sales in one week? Anyone know?

or might have been 1.1 million...

I think ioi is undertracking the Wii. Why? Becasue the numbers are so high it would be dangerous for the site to post. Imagine last month had ioi gone with 2 million, and it came in at pacters 1.4 million guess... All cred out the window, BUT if you undertrack, especially the Wii people tend to overlook it, I think it is kinda win win to low ball the number. You lower the chances of being burned with high Wii sales (like what happened in May with the PS3 and 360) and if you are low, fanboy are HAPPY, Because they just gained 200-500k in sales.

I think he is 25% low for the whole month, just because it would be ridiculous to post the number as high as they "could" be.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Paperdiego said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

This was expected. Nothing extraordinary here. All these growths should be expected.

Differences:

DS + 240K (34%)

fanboy much?

according to your numbers there wii wold 250k more than last week, excuse my math skills but isnt that a bigger growth than everything else(especially the closest competition whish only grew over last week as much as150k)?

You can't just look at direct growths in units. A console selling 500,000 would (almost) always see a bigger growth during christmas than a console selling 50,000 units.

A relative (in %) growth is relatively fair. One should expect ~ 30-35% in growth for christmas. Thus, the Wii increase was expected, and shouldn't be as shocking as people believe.

I think people are shocked that Nintendo was able to supply 1M Wiis in a week in NA, more that the fact that it could sell 1M units.

Paperdiego said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Differences:

DS + 240K (34%)

fanboy much?

% increases do not give a good picture.

Early in the year the PS3 was get 90% yoy increases but sale really only went up from 50k to 90k. While the wii was get 40% yoy increases but getting bigger increases.

psn- tokila

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Paperdiego said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Differences:

DS + 240K (34%)

fanboy much?

I think people are shocked that Nintendo was able to supply 1M Wiis in a week in NA, more that the fact that it could sell 1M units.

they sold 750k last year, and the Wii was MUCH less supplied.

psn- tokila

Still selling one million in NA wow just wow

leo-j said:
You mean this week viper

There are two weeks left of sales data for 2008 viper

Well technicly imo it can hit 20M, the week ending JAN 3 or w.e

Doubtful.

At the end of this week if we add 50k for Japan (The Source preview 45-55k) you get the number 18.83 million.... considering this should be the biggest week of the year, and PS3 managed under 550k, it is not going to make 1.17 million even if the next 2 weeks are both the same as this week.... but they won't, they will be less.

NJ5 said:
Someone clean the dust off those Wii Bingo Boards, I think they'll be put to good use as the Wii approaches and surpasses 50% market share.

Wii Bingo - Is this the next big first party game from Nintendo that will sell 10-20 million copies?

I havent read this whole thread, but noticed a bunch of Wii bashing and Wii defending. Me I cant stand the Wii the celebration that goes on about it's sales when the people that it is selling to arent casual gamers (as we used to call them), but it is the new consumer that is using Wii as an alternative to Scrabble, Jenga, etc.  What bothers me even more is the celebrating that goes on in threads here and in GAF over it. 

I used to say there were three types of gamers.

Nintendo Gamers - The people that live and die by the Nintendo titles and to them Nintendo can do wrong.

Avid Gamers - The ones of us that purchase game after game and unfortunatly sometimes dont ever get to them, but overall we appreciate quality and workmanship in games.

Casual Gamers - Really into sports titles and like there updated titles year after year.

All in all there were fanboys that seemed to hover in the first 2 categories and the third category tended to be supported mostly by the most popular system.

Now we have the truly casual gamers that are looking for an exercise aid or are scared what video games will do to thier kids. They also look for something else besides scrabble and jenga.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
NJ5 said:
Someone clean the dust off those Wii Bingo Boards, I think they'll be put to good use as the Wii approaches and surpasses 50% market share.

Wii Bingo - Is this the next big first party game from Nintendo that will sell 10-20 million copies?

I havent read this whole thread, but noticed a bunch of Wii bashing and Wii defending. Me I cant stand the Wii the celebration that goes on about it's sales when the people that it is selling to arent casual gamers (as we used to call them), but it is the new consumer that is using Wii as an alternative to Scrabble, Jenga, etc.  What bothers me even more is the celebrating that goes on in threads here and in GAF over it. 

I used to say there were three types of gamers.

Nintendo Gamers - The people that live and die by the Nintendo titles and to them Nintendo can do wrong.

Avid Gamers - The ones of us that purchase game after game and unfortunatly sometimes dont ever get to them, but overall we appreciate quality and workmanship in games.

Casual Gamers - Really into sports titles and like there updated titles year after year.

All in all there were fanboys that seemed to hover in the first 2 categories and the third category tended to be supported mostly by the most popular system.

Now we have the truly casual gamers that are looking for an exercise aid or are scared what video games will do to thier kids. They also look for something else besides scrabble and jenga.

So what about those who last gen only bought Singstar and Buzz.... believe me there are a lot of those in Europe at least.